Rough Mixes CD #2 Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

49 minutes ago, uzi your illusion said:

Do we have any post-gnr quotes from Bucket directly attributed to him about his time/feelings of the band?

There are none.

This thread is very interesting though (page 3 onwards):  

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

The Shacklers leak is interesting to hear, but anyone saying it is better than the finished song is just a deluded Bucket fanboy.

It shows Axl and Bucket worked well together if anything. Axl took Bucket's idea and turned it into more of a hard rock song. This version is interesting to listen to but in some cases Axl's ear for it and changing the structure was needed. He turned Robin's Better ideas to a proper song as well thanks to that vocal melody in the verses. It's interesting that in both cases someone else came up with important parts for the tunes. (Bumble on Shackler's and Fortus on Better)

Edited by Rovim

4 minutes ago, Rovim said:

It shows Axl and Bucket worked well together if anything. Axl took Bucket's idea and turned it into more of a hard rock song. This version is interesting to listen to but in some cases Axl's ear for it and changing the structure was needed. He turned Robin's Better ideas to a proper song as well thanks to that vocal melody in the verses. It's interesting that in both cases someone else came up with important parts for the tunes. (Bumble on Shackler's and Fortus on Better)

Without Axl's vocal melodies, Shackler's Revenge would just be Instrumental #244 in Bucket's canon of cool, but meaningless riffs.

Writing a cool riff is one thing, turning it into an actual catchy song is another, and imo, takes a lot more talent.

Plus Bumbles Shacklers solo >>> Buckets meandering 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Without Axl's vocal melodies, Shackler's Revenge would just be Instrumental #244 in Bucket's canon of cool, but meaningless riffs.

Writing a cool riff is one thing, turning it into an actual catchy song is another, and imo, takes a lot more talent.

This is pretty much the essence of Buckethead for me. Yes he's extremely good, but in the end he's releasing 200 albums of cool but meaningless guitar tunes in a year. And then it all just forms into this grey blurry mass for me.

23 minutes ago, Rovim said:

It shows Axl and Bucket worked well together if anything. Axl took Bucket's idea and turned it into more of a hard rock song. This version is interesting to listen to but in some cases Axl's ear for it and changing the structure was needed. 

Someone like Axl would be able to pick out the real gems from Buckethead's pieces and turn them into real songs. Sadly though, Axl moves at glacial speeds and Buckethead just throws out 2000 of these unfinished songs a year. So there's a bit of a mismatch in terms of creative output there. 

Edited by username
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, username said:

Someone like Axl would be able to pick out the real gems from Buckethead's pieces and turn them into real songs. Sadly though, Axl moves at glacial speeds and Buckethead just throws out 2000 of these unfinished songs a year. So there's a bit of a mismatch in terms of creative output there. 

Didn't take Axl very long to finish Bucket's song ideas and the styles matched is what I meant. So it was a good idea to bring Bucket into the fold as his ideas and style basically became a part of the Chinese era sound. It's not that Axl didn't work fast enough on Bucket's ideas or didn't showcase enough of his talent on the official released version of the album. He just failed to release it when it was still not laughable for Bucket to stay. 2001-2002.

Edited by Rovim

57 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Plus Bumbles Shacklers solo >>> Buckets meandering

Bucket came up with the song ideas though. It's like an Izzy/Slash situation. Bumble is a Bucket fan so it makes sense that Shackler's was his favorite song to play live and from Chinese. Main solo is wacky as hell but never loses direction and captures the vibe of the song perfectly while still keepin' it totally Bumble. The outro tapping also a good choice by him and executed flawlessly.

A collaboration of Bucket and Bumble on an album where Bumble writes the lyrics and sings but they both compose the riffs could be the future of noodling for a purpose.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Bucket came up with the song ideas though. It's like an Izzy/Slash situation. Bumble is a Bucket fan so it makes sense that Shackler's was his favorite song to play live and from Chinese. Main solo is wacky as hell but never loses direction and captures the vibe of the song perfectly while still keepin' it totally Bumble. The outro tapping also a good choice by him and executed flawlessly.

A collaboration of Bucket and Bumble on an album where Bumble writes the lyrics and sings but they both compose the riffs could be the future of noodling for a purpose.

Yeah, it's not like I don't rate Bucket, he's fucking phenominal. But I've always been a bigger fan of Ron, as I get more enjoyment from his music, probably cuz it's not all instrumental noodling. Ron is a great singer and songwriter and his solos are every bit as experimental/wacky as anything Bucket comes up with. I just see Ron as more of a complete package than Bucket tbh. 

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1

So now we finally have the entire locker. We pretty much have a new album, an instrumental album, and the 2000/01 version of CD. Thank you Chairman by take care us.

The Chairman delivered exactly when he said he would. He's never gonna give us up, he's never gonna let us down, and he's never gonna run around and desert us.

He's never broken his promises so far, so I'm confident that soon™ we'll get the VMA rehearsal and whatever is on "hard drives galore".

Needless to say...

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

So now we finally have the entire locker. We pretty much have a new album, an instrumental album, and the 2000/01 version of CD. Thank you Chairman by take care us.

The Chairman delivered exactly when he said he would. He's never gonna give us up, he's never gonna let us down, and he's never gonna run around and desert us.

He's never broken his promises so far, so I'm confident that soon™ we'll get the VMA rehearsal and whatever is on "hard drives galore".

3com8d.jpg 

Edited by username

6 minutes ago, Axl_morris said:

Was there a reason they all took so long to leak or was it just so he could think up rediculous poems for some sort of character gratification

Probably a little bit of both, but IMO I think they were staggered out to make it more fun. Just think back to when all of this news first broke about these locker discs, we all thought we'd be lucky to hear 1 song, let alone all 19 discs.

9 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

So im assuming the reason Costanzo and Scaturro have writing credits on Shackler's is cause they were the ones who chopped it all up and re-arranged it, added all the extra noises, and artificially punched the main part up an octave and made it the intro/outro.

Shackler's was completely rerecorded after it was given the rearrangement, no artificial chopping. Axl said that it was Bucket himself who recorded and added the effects to the 'elephant' part. There's going to be another version that exists with the rerecorded final arrangement played by Bucket (including the original solo hidden under Ron's on the album version).

Pete Scaturro is Bucket's guy, so he would have been involved in the original writing process with him. He's also the one who played the synths on I'm Sorry.

I would be interesting to hear what the initial version of Scraped sounded like.

9 minutes ago, Axl_morris said:

Was there a reason they all took so long to leak or was it just so he could think up rediculous poems for some sort of character gratification

It was most likely because he enjoyed watching the hoarder's world crumble and wanted to savour his trolling of them. Also, so far he's never made a promise he hasn't kept, so I'm willing to bet that he already obtained the VMA rehearsals and "hard drives galore" before mentioning them. The wait was just about watching the hoarders panic, realising that their stash was slowly becoming worthless over an 8 day period, rather than trying to trade something that he already promised to leak.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

It was most likely because he enjoyed watching the hoarder's world crumble and wanted to savour his trolling of them. Also, so far he's never made a promise he hasn't kept, so I'm willing to bet that he already obtained the VMA rehearsals and "hard drives galore" before mentioning them. The wait was just about watching the hoarders panic, realising that their stash was slowly becoming worthless over an 8 day period, rather than trying to trade something that he already promised to leak.

I second this, we'd all love to rub it in the faces of hoarders. Especially after all these years of being teased with clips and what not.

It does make you wonder who he is, and what he has.

43 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

Shackler's was completely rerecorded after it was given the rearrangement, no artificial chopping. Axl said that it was Bucket himself who recorded and added the effects to the 'elephant' part. There's going to be another version that exists with the rerecorded final arrangement played by Bucket (including the original solo hidden under Ron's on the album version).

Pete Scaturro is Bucket's guy, so he would have been involved in the original writing process with him. He's also the one who played the synths on I'm Sorry.

I would be interesting to hear what the initial version of Scraped sounded like.

Thank you for clarifying.

5 hours ago, uzi your illusion said:

Do we have any post-gnr quotes from Bucket directly attributed to him about his time/feelings of the band?

Be refuses to answer questions about them, and refuses to sign copies of Chinese Democracy.

11 minutes ago, YourMother'sDruthers said:

Does anyone think there is a version of Oklahoma with lyrics/vocals? Axl said he was inspired by the Oklahoma bombings while in court with Erin Everly. Does that mean lyrics came out of that inspiration? Or just music? Both???

Wasn’t it almost played live at HOB 2001 and then switched out for Riad at the last minute? It was on the setlist for that show, apparently. I don’t think they’d be ready to play a new song unless it already had lyrics/vocals.

2 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Wasn’t it almost played live at HOB 2001 and then switched out for Riad at the last minute? It was on the setlist for that show, apparently. I don’t think they’d be ready to play a new song unless it already had lyrics/vocals.

Was just gonna say this, they must've rehearsed it so I assume it's finished.