Rough Mixes CD #2 Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

1 minute ago, rocknroll41 said:

Wasn’t it almost played live at HOB 2001 and then switched out for Riad at the last minute? It was on the setlist for that show, apparently. I don’t think they’d be ready to play a new song unless it already had lyrics/vocals.

I didn’t know that, is that true? Oklahoma we other vocals, for me would be the holy grail. Their best instrumental to be leaked, in my opinion, with quick song at a close second. The drums on Oklahoma are straight 🔥 

Man I really hate Eye On You, what was he thinking?

Also it's frustrating as hell knowing that Axl pretty much had the entire album ready 20 years ago. What díd he record after this? Pretty much áll the vocals have been untouched since '99.

No wonder he sounded so much better on Angel Down.

14 minutes ago, UcudBmine said:

Man I really hate Eye On You, what was he thinking?

Also it's frustrating as hell knowing that Axl pretty much had the entire album ready 20 years ago. What díd he record after this? Pretty much áll the vocals have been untouched since '99.

No wonder he sounded so much better on Angel Down.

Artists record and try to push boundaries all of the time. Some of this stuff was never meant to be heard and critiqued. Have to keep that in mind  

Edited by guitarpatch

4 hours ago, Towelie said:

The Shacklers leak is interesting to hear, but anyone saying it is better than the finished song is just a deluded Bucket fanboy.

No one's saying this is a better version. It's obviously a very early demo. Besides, the album cut has Bucket playing every part except for the solo and the tapping section towards the end.

Edited by mcmurray

4 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

Artists record and try to push boundaries all of the time. Some of this stuff was never meant to be heard and critiqued. Have to keep that in mind  

Don't get me wrong, but most of these instrumentals sound like they have way more potential than anything on CD. I'm just bummed that it took Axl another 9 years to release anything. Also, imagine how the album would've sounded if Axl rerecorded his parts in 2006-2007. 

Ugh, so many what ifs with this band.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mcmurray said:

There are none.

This thread is very interesting though (page 3 onwards):  

Thanks for linking to that thread I had forgotten a lot of the details. Also didn't know about Bucket refusing to sign copies of C.D. what a shame. I'm sure he looks back on the time as a real downer and thinks of what could have been.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

Close but no cigar.

More butchery.

This version is way better with the raw guitars and heavier synth.

It has a more of an uptempo, easy-listening, and diverse feel to it.

100/10. 

I haven't dug into the disc with headphones yet, it just didn't sound too different sonically compared to the album version compared to ITW or Shackler's.  :P  I'd love to hear a version with Axl's isolated vocals put on top of this rough mix though, and compare the songs that way.  Hopefully the remixers are at work to make some magic with these songs.

37 minutes ago, mcmurray said:

After a few listens this version of Sorry is amazing, even with Robin's sloppy solo!

It takes some small editing skills towards the end where you need to copy paste a small section, but you can fit the vocal stems from Rockband over it. It’s a good song in its scaled back form that pairs nicely with Perhaps 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Isn’t it Bucket who does the solo on Sorry?

I'm not convinced on this particular version. Listen closely.

It sounds like Robin had first crack at it, then Bucket rerecorded it for the album version. Just like Madagascar's lead parts.

7 minutes ago, Finck2006 said:

Its bucket 100%

Are you talking about this leak version, or the album? On the album it's 100% Bucket. This leak sounds a lot like Robin.

Edited by mcmurray

5 minutes ago, TeeJay410 said:

It would be wholly appropriate to put the rockband vox on these since the vocals were probably recorded back then

Nah if they were recorded they would have been on the CD - no reason to leave them off

So after 2001 Axl put down lead vocals on:

-Berlin (assuming it has lyrics)

-Scraped

-Shackler's Revenge

-Sorry

-Soul Monster

-The General

-This I Love

2 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

Nah if they were recorded they would have been on the CD - no reason to leave them off

So after 2001 Axl put down lead vocals on:

-Berlin (assuming it has lyrics)

-Scraped

-Shackler's Revenge

-Sorry

-Soul Monster

-The General

-This I Love

And Better. 

• Like 1

Just got this leak. "I'm Sorry" - absolutely epic. Why oh why didn't they leave it alone and go with that mix?! This must be the mix that Sebastian described back before he laid down backing vocals. 

If anyone could mix the final vocals over it that would be awesome (assuming they fit).

Edited by invisible_rose

22 minutes ago, TeeJay410 said:

It would be wholly appropriate to put the rockband vox on these since the vocals were probably recorded back then

There’s some editing needed to the actual demo at the end to fit them in, so depends how you feel about that 

43 minutes ago, mcmurray said:

It sounds like Robin had first crack at it, then Bucket rerecorded it for the album version. Just like Madagascar's lead parts.

Are you talking about this leak version, or the album? On the album it's 100% Bucket. This leak sounds a lot like Robin.

This not Robin playing nor guitar tone/sound. There are even some parts of the demo solo that survived to the album version, probably reamped. 

And I'm not sure what you're talking about Madagascar. I assume youre considering the awful guitar in the 2018 demo - I strongly believe that's Axl himself. His ideas were also used in TWAT and some of his playing got into the album version, altough buried in the mix. 

2 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Wasn’t it almost played live at HOB 2001 and then switched out for Riad at the last minute? It was on the setlist for that show, apparently. I don’t think they’d be ready to play a new song unless it already had lyrics/vocals.

No. Back then, someone assumed Riad was Oklahoma, even though Axl called the song Riad N' The Bedouins in the intro. Somehow, this rumor evolved to them rehearsing Oklahoma, but replacing it to Riad. 

2 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

No. Back then, someone assumed Riad was Oklahoma, even though Axl called the song Riad N' The Bedouins in the intro. Somehow, this rumor evolved to them rehearsing Oklahoma, but replacing it to Riad. 

99% sure a pic of the setlist had "Oklahoma" written in place of Riad for the 1/1/01 show

Edited by TheSeeker

3 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

99% sure a pic of the setlist had "Oklahoma" written in place of Riad for the 1/1/01 show

Riad was my obsession back then. I searched for every single forum and mailing list and never found anything to back up this statement. I do remember people calling Riad as Oklahoma because of the misunderstood.

The fact that we now have all 19 discs makes Scraped a much more interesting song IMO. It's now the only song from the album we really don't know the origins of - none of the ideas in the song come from any of these instrumentals, we don't know when it was written, when vocals were laid down, we didn't even know the song existed until the tracklist was released for the album. It's true that TIL isn't represented in the locker discs either, but we know it's origins, we know it was abandoned for a long time and brought back into the fold relatively late - Scraped we still know literally nothing about. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

The fact that we now have all 19 discs makes Scraped a much more interesting song IMO. It's now the only song from the album we really don't know the origins of - none of the ideas in the song come from any of these instrumentals, we don't know when it was written, when vocals were laid down, we didn't even know the song existed until the tracklist was released for the album. It's true that TIL isn't represented in the locker discs either, but we know it's origins, we know it was abandoned for a long time and brought back into the fold relatively late - Scraped we still know literally nothing about. 

Which begs the question: How many other unknown songs with vocals are in the vault?

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1