Gary Glitter is in the Itunes top 60 after JOKER used his song

oldnews

37 minutes ago, moreblack said:

Always separate the music from the person. A good song is a good song.

I had this conversation with a friend of mine a while back. He’s massively into the Stones and said it would have no baring on his love for their music if it came out that Jagger or Keef were nonces (he’s got a lot of love for Bill Wyman)

I’d probably be the same with Guns, it’s just Glitter had a few gems in a bucket load of shite that it’s easier to avoid.

6 hours ago, Dean said:

I had this conversation with a friend of mine a while back. He’s massively into the Stones and said it would have no baring on his love for their music if it came out that Jagger or Keef were nonces (he’s got a lot of love for Bill Wyman)

I’d probably be the same with Guns, it’s just Glitter had a few gems in a bucket load of shite that it’s easier to avoid.

''Stray Cat Blues''? And pertaining to Wyman, Mandy Smith of course. 

1 hour ago, action said:

NINTCHDBPICT0004579462221-e1545600610253

I don't know how anyone finds this act appealing. his appearance always was utterly grotesque.

In the light of pedoeyness everything looks fuckin' unappealing though.  I mean I imagine if Bowie had been a nonce, the Thin White Duke woulda looked fucked up too :lol:

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

In the light of pedoeyness everything looks fuckin' unappealing though.  I mean I imagine if Bowie had been a nonce, the Thin White Duke woulda looked fucked up too :lol:

didn't glitter always look a bit "evil" though? I mean, those eyebrows...

bowie looked like a lot of things. Evil, not being one of them (as a sidenote; I don't like Bowie, but that's a story for another day)

7 minutes ago, action said:

didn't glitter always look a bit "evil" though? I mean, those eyebrows...

bowie looked like a lot of things. Evil, not being one of them (as a sidenote; I don't like Bowie, but that's a story for another day)

I can see why someone might dislike Bowie.

9 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I can see why someone might dislike Bowie.

bowie, for me, falls in my category of "not interested". I never was into "sophisticated" music the likes of radiohead, muse, bowie, hell even pink floyd. it never "clicked" with me. I feel that music being entertainment, then art in that order, less is often more. the drum intro to "paradise city" moves me so much more than say... earth control to major tom or what is it.

different personalities like different kinds of music. I am unsophisticated, a-cultural, basically just the simplest person around, and I just like to have a good time. I don't pretend to have a vast knowledge on music. A crunchy power chord here, a galloping drum track there, and that's basically all I need. Preferrably with a beer and a beautiful woman in the vicinity. why make things complicated, when it can be so simple? I've said it before and I'll be till the end of days: it's better not to think too much. Fuck descartes. I think not, therefore I am happy.

Edited by action
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, action said:

bowie, for me, falls in my category of "not interested". I never was into "sophisticated" music the likes of radiohead, muse, bowie, hell even pink floyd. it never "clicked" with me. I feel that music being entertainment, then art in that order, less is often more. the drum intro to "paradise city" movies me so much more than say... earth control to major tom or what is it.

different personalities like different kinds of music. I am unsophisticated, a-cultural, basically just the simplest person around, and I just like to have a good time. I don't pretend to have a vast knowledge on music. A crunchy power chord here, a galloping drum track there, and that's basically all I need. Preferrably with a beer and a beautiful woman in the vicinity. why make things complicated, when it can be so simple? I've said it before and I'll be till the end of days: it's better not to think too much. Fuck descartes. I think not, therefore I am happy.

I'm the opposite, though there is a time where I need the ol' straight and simple, in fact most of my go-to music probably fits that bill I just love the weird too.  The weird, the high fallutin, the pretentious...it sort of reminds me that there's...something going on in life that isn't just, I don't know I'm struggling to explain myself as per usual.  I just like things that are freaky and weird.  Things have to be all mixed up for me, it makes life interesting, I would probably lose interest in music if it was so much of one thing.  I like simplicity in most things in life but not my entertainment.  I guess being not very intelligent has always help in that regard because like...I don't think I always understand things so quickly and when I can't understand a thing that interests me because its like 'OK, whats THIS about?'.  I like extremes of weirdness. 

And thats part of why I like Bowie, there's just something a little off kilter about everything he does.  He takes certain ideas and puts them into the music in a way that allows him to take from certain places and come up with this...slightly odd take on shit.  I mean, OK, the guy wants to make a soul album, he's a fuckin' white English guy, it's never gonna be a proper soul album, so he comes out with this thing 'plastic soul', 'the squashed remains of ethnic music as it survives in the age of muzak rock, written and sung by a white limey', thats a beautiful thing, thats a lisence to kill musically speaking :lol:  Sometimes I wonder if these definitions weren't in part to do with pre-empting certain criticisms but either way it worked.

And I like the idea of singing in character too, a lot of people call rock performance acting in a strict sense of the word and to just take that to an extreme, to make and create these characters and live as them and then perform as them, thats a weird fuckin' thing but its interesting, especially The Thin White Duke, I find that great, making music as a sort of 1920s fascist or whatever with a fey touch to it, I dunno, I find it wonderful.  But I could see why a lot of people wouldn't.  You could even, arguably, turn around and go all these things were just invented or created to compensate for the inauthenticity of the music itself.  Keith Richards has more than hinted at that.

But yeah, things like 'noise experimentation' i LOVE.  Awful clashing dischordant rackets.  There's something in that shit.  And y'know it has to do with the appeal of simple music.  Like for instance take something like The Ramones, or The Sex Pistols.  Music like that (and indeed all rock n roll) was initially criticised for being so simple as to just be noise, the idea of chugging guitars, power chords, to me, is like the birth of that shit.  down-strumming 2 or 3 chords is really not that far away from noise experimentation.  Then cut it down to one chord, turn it ALL the fuckin' way up and you get some interesting sounds that really aren't too disimilar from the simplistic crunch of a power chord.  Take the simple, the minimalist...and just deconstruct it a step further, I really don't think its that far removed from the notion of the chuck berry riff, I mean just take that pinky on the Chuck Berry riff and mess around with its timing just a teensy bit and you are damn near the realm of noise experimentation. 

African beats too, the reason they sounded so odd to western ears, in the framework of something like rock n roll, is because they border on noise to the uninitiated, one the one beat, it probably sounded early doors like some fuckin' kid banging on a bucket repetitively. 

On the flipside though, yeah, sometimes (a lot of times even) you just don't wanna think.  If it gets to the point where the working out aspect supersedes the actual entertainment value of a thing then it all becomes a bit of a cocksuck, you might as well turn the shit off and go do a crossword puzzle.  Its all to do with ideas I think, overall.  You apply a certain idea to a thing and it makes you look at it a different way, otherwise if you look at 90% of what someone like Bowie was doing it wasn't WAY out there.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I'm the opposite, though there is a time where I need the ol' straight and simple, in fact most of my go-to music probably fits that bill I just love the weird too.  The weird, the high fallutin, the pretentious...it sort of reminds me that there's...something going on in life that isn't just, I don't know I'm struggling to explain myself as per usual.  I just like things that are freaky and weird.  Things have to be all mixed up for me, it makes life interesting, I would probably lose interest in music if it was so much of one thing.  I like simplicity in most things in life but not my entertainment.  I guess being not very intelligent has always help in that regard because like...I don't think I always understand things so quickly and when I can't understand a thing that interests me because its like 'OK, whats THIS about?'.  I like extremes of weirdness. 

And thats part of why I like Bowie, there's just something a little off kilter about everything he does.  He takes certain ideas and puts them into the music in a way that allows him to take from certain places and come up with this...slightly odd take on shit.  I mean, OK, the guy wants to make a soul album, he's a fuckin' white English guy, it's never gonna be a proper soul album, so he comes out with this thing 'plastic soul', 'the squashed remains of ethnic music as it survives in the age of muzak rock, written and sung by a white limey', thats a beautiful thing, thats a lisence to kill musically speaking :lol:  Sometimes I wonder if these definitions weren't in part to do with pre-empting certain criticisms but either way it worked.

And I like the idea of singing in character too, a lot of people call rock performance acting in a strict sense of the word and to just take that to an extreme, to make and create these characters and live as them and then perform as them, thats a weird fuckin' thing but its interesting, especially The Thin White Duke, I find that great, making music as a sort of 1920s fascist or whatever with a fey touch to it, I dunno, I find it wonderful.  But I could see why a lot of people wouldn't.  You could even, arguably, turn around and go all these things were just invented or created to compensate for the inauthenticity of the music itself.  Keith Richards has more than hinted at that.

But yeah, things like 'noise experimentation' i LOVE.  Awful clashing dischordant rackets.  There's something in that shit.  And y'know it has to do with the appeal of simple music.  Like for instance take something like The Ramones, or The Sex Pistols.  Music like that (and indeed all rock n roll) was initially criticised for being so simple as to just be noise, the idea of chugging guitars, power chords, to me, is like the birth of that shit.  down-strumming 2 or 3 chords is really not that far away from noise experimentation.  Then cut it down to one chord, turn it ALL the fuckin' way up and you get some interesting sounds that really aren't too disimilar from the simplistic crunch of a power chord.  Take the simple, the minimalist...and just deconstruct it a step further, I really don't think its that far removed from the notion of the chuck berry riff, I mean just take that pinky on the Chuck Berry riff and mess around with its timing just a teensy bit and you are damn near the realm of noise experimentation. 

African beats too, the reason they sounded so odd to western ears, in the framework of something like rock n roll, is because they border on noise to the uninitiated, one the one beat, it probably sounded early doors like some fuckin' kid banging on a bucket repetitively. 

On the flipside though, yeah, sometimes (a lot of times even) you just don't wanna think.  If it gets to the point where the working out aspect supersedes the actual entertainment value of a thing then it all becomes a bit of a cocksuck, you might as well turn the shit off and go do a crossword puzzle.  Its all to do with ideas I think, overall.  You apply a certain idea to a thing and it makes you look at it a different way, otherwise if you look at 90% of what someone like Bowie was doing it wasn't WAY out there.

I don't half understand what you're talking about sometimes when you're talking about music Len. you make me feel like an absolute donkey :lol:

usually I don't get further than "god dammit, that power chord sounds badass, i'm gonna try and play that on my guitar". that's as far as "immersion" goes for me

I don't half understand what you're talking about sometimes when you're talking about music Len. you make me feel like an absolute donkey :lol:

usually I don't get further than "god dammit, that power chord sounds badass, i'm gonna try and play that on my guitar". that's as far as "immersion" goes for me

It might just be that I talk a load of bullshit :lol:

On 18/10/2019 at 10:10 PM, Towelie said:

The children of Thailand can breath a sigh of relief.

I was listening to this thing with Eddie Griffin, in defence of MJ, thought of you.  There was a bit of it where this guy he knows, I can't remember who, had some pic of his kid at Neverland in his underwear, I dunno if he was having a dip in the pool or whatever, anyway someone offered him money for the pic and/or told him that if he were to pull a case on Jacko he could make some serious coin, all he had to do was say Jacko molested his kid...he told the guy to fuck off and said if Jacko touched his kid he would kill him himself. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I was listening to this thing with Eddie Griffin, in defence of MJ, thought of you.  There was a bit of it where this guy he knows, I can't remember who, had some pic of his kid at Neverland in his underwear, I dunno if he was having a dip in the pool or whatever, anyway someone offered him money for the pic and/or told him that if he were to pull a case on Jacko he could make some serious coin, all he had to do was say Jacko molested his kid...he told the guy to fuck off and said if Jacko touched his kid he would kill him himself. 

Yeah, a lot of that shit went down. 

Fucked up, but people do a lot worse for a lot less.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Is it just me or has the paedo documentary Jackson thingy all died down a bit? Seems everyone forget it all rather quickly - granted I don't go on Jackson message boards or especially keep up with his (posthumous) career.

Because when the virtue signalling is over people don’t care half as much about kids as they like to make out.  If they did its not hard to find kids in fucked up or disadvantaged or dangerous situations, ask anyone thats ever worked for social services.  We love a good fall from grace though, gets us proper stiff does all that.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Haha 1