"'If Slash apologizes publicly for the things he said about me in the press I have three songs that he could play on the new album'." - Axl Rose (as told by Marc Canter, circa 2001)

I truly think as these leaks come out, we are not only finding out about Chinese Democracy, but also Axl as a person. It seems to me like it was a mix of middle age Axl ego, and the people he surrounded himself with (or the record label forced him to surround himself with) were not good for him and the blatant mental issues he so obviously had. Based on what we've learned over the past couple of years with NITL, Axl and Slash always had that brother bond that was never going to go away, 

So based on these leaks, or the actual CD songs Slash has played live, which ones do you think were meant to be for Slash? 

1. Oklahoma.

2. Hard School (maybe? the band apparently rehearsed it the other day.)

3. Tonto. Idk I just hear slash all over this song. And based on what he was doing with Snakepit, its right up his alley. 

Just now, StrangerInThisTown said:

In 2001 the "new album" Axl is refering to would be CD. That means it could've been any of the ones that made CD, not just the leaks, if the leaks at all, since they didn't make the album.

But we've no idea when the songs for CD were chosen. Even Atlas was considered for CD, but too long, according to BBF. So I think all leaks were possible contenders in 2001, especially the ones with lyrics, I would guess.

If you are asking about the supposed 3 songs, This I Love comes to mind. That really should have been a classic GNR song. Maybe Catcher or The Blues. I don’t see any of these instrumentals being songs Axl intended or thought of for Slash. I would imagine any song he intended for Slash, assuming that’s true, assuming he said that to Marc maybe he wish that to get a public apology or to open lines of communication. It’s been 4 years of touring and no new songs, so who knows. 

• Like 1

Just now, StrangerInThisTown said:

In 2001 the "new album" Axl is refering to would be CD. That means it could've been any of the ones that made CD, not just the leaks, if the leaks at all.

I thought there was discussion ad nasum in other threads about how Disc 1 may as well have been the album Axl turned in to the label in 2000/2001 before everyone started fucking with him. He said at Rock In Rio 2001 that he wanted an album out in Summer. They played Silkworms and Oh My God live at those early 2001 shows. Using live shows to promote new music is not a foreign concept.

3 minutes ago, Lio said:

But we've no idea when the songs for CD were chosen. Even Atlas was considered for CD, but too long, according to BBF. So I think all leaks were possible contenders in 2001, especially the ones with lyrics, I would guess.

Exactly my point I was just trying to make. It seems based on many interviews from that era that this is basically a list of finished and "nearly-there" ideas that Axl had circa 1999-2001. He wanted that album out Summer 2001, at least thats what he said 1/14/2001. My thoughts are, anything on these disks, especially 1 and the nearly finished tracks on the other disks are all fair game. 

6 minutes ago, Shacklermyrye said:

TWAT

SORRY

MADDY

would be my guess

You really think Maddy? I always thought Axl thought that was his November Rain part 2. Thats why he unleashed it to the world at the VMA's. Because he could have that attention and go "Look what the fuck I made world." It would explain why its #1 on these disks. If I were to show my friends my new music project, I'd obviously give them the one I thought was the best first. And when you're working on technology like a cd where thats going to be the first thing that hits you when you start it up, it makes sense Axl might have written this one to prove everyone wrong. Ideally, I don't think he would have wanted Slash on it, but thats just my opinion. 

I can for sure see and hear Slashs playing on Sorry. TWAT is an interesting one because based on the CD 1 leak, TWAT doesnt have an outro solo. Im surprised because I can totally see Finck giving it a go, especially back then when the only other guitar player before Bucket came in was Tobias. Maybe Axl was able to give Bucket a vision for a crazy guitar solo a la November Rain and Estranged. 

7 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

If you are asking about the supposed 3 songs, This I Love comes to mind. That really should have been a classic GNR song. Maybe Catcher or The Blues. I don’t see any of these instrumentals being songs Axl intended or thought of for Slash. I would imagine any song he intended for Slash, assuming that’s true, assuming he said that to Marc maybe he wish that to get a public apology or to open lines of communication. It’s been 4 years of touring and no new songs, so who knows. 

I believe the story goes that This I Love was actually written sometime around 1992/1993? So Slash for sure would have known about that song. Interesting that was one of the first songs fleshed out, but one of the last to be recorded. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

I thought there was discussion ad nasum in other threads about how Disc 1 may as well have been the album Axl turned in to the label in 2000/2001 before everyone started fucking with him. He said at Rock In Rio 2001 that he wanted an album out in Summer. They played Silkworms and Oh My God live at those early 2001 shows. Using live shows to promote new music is not a foreign concept.

Exactly my point I was just trying to make. It seems based on many interviews from that era that this is basically a list of finished and "nearly-there" ideas that Axl had circa 1999-2001. He wanted that album out Summer 2001, at least thats what he said 1/14/2001. My thoughts are, anything on these disks, especially 1 and the nearly finished tracks on the other disks are all fair game. 

You really think Maddy? I always thought Axl thought that was his November Rain part 2. Thats why he unleashed it to the world at the VMA's. Because he could have that attention and go "Look what the fuck I made world." It would explain why its #1 on these disks. If I were to show my friends my new music project, I'd obviously give them the one I thought was the best first. And when you're working on technology like a cd where thats going to be the first thing that hits you when you start it up, it makes sense Axl might have written this one to prove everyone wrong. Ideally, I don't think he would have wanted Slash on it, but thats just my opinion. 

I can for sure see and hear Slashs playing on Sorry. TWAT is an interesting one because based on the CD 1 leak, TWAT doesnt have an outro solo. Im surprised because I can totally see Finck giving it a go, especially back then when the only other guitar player before Bucket came in was Tobias. Maybe Axl was able to give Bucket a vision for a crazy guitar solo a la November Rain and Estranged. 

I believe the story goes that This I Love was actually written sometime around 1992/1993? So Slash for sure would have known about that song. Interesting that was one of the first songs fleshed out, but one of the last to be recorded. 

I Axl initially recorded This I Love as a catharsis to the ending of relationship and as time moved on and life moved on he was hesitant to revisit that particular energy and feeling associated with the song.

No way Slash would have contributed to that album at the time. He was really livid that Axl was carrying on the band after they had all left. Him contributing would have made CD more successful which he wouldn’t have wanted at that time. 

Don’t really believe Axl would have wanted him on the album either. 

43 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

According to Marc Canter, those songs were songs Slash had written parts on before he left (or based on Slash ideas):

Axl was cracking the door open and saying to me  “If  Slash apologizes publicly for the things he said about me in the press I have three songs that he could play on the new album”.  They were three songs that Slash had written on and Axl wanted to do something with them and include them on Chinese Democracy which would have been cool.  

https://www.legendaryrockinterviews.com/2012/04/22/legendary-rock-interview-with-guns-n-roses-insider-and-author-marc-canter/

So this excludes at least most of the songs we know. Maybe it was Oklahoma and/or Hardschool, Quick Song maybe, or maybe 1-2 other songs we don't know.

I still think Slash IS the guitar we hear in oklahoma 

you are forgetting that slash got kicked out at Las Vegas 2002? show. So how was Axl expecting an apology from the guy?
if Axl had been in a bargaining mood back then, he wouldn't be kicking the guy out, or saying that he's up his ass. 

Edited by username05

18 minutes ago, username05 said:

you are forgetting that slash got kicked out at Las Vegas 2002? show. So how was Axl expecting an apology from the guy?
if Axl had been in a bargaining mood back then, he wouldn't be kicking the guy out, or saying that he's up his ass. 

Axl didn't kick him out lol. Doubt he even knew he was there at the time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, it's hard to distinguish Axl, from people who do stuff on Axls behalf. 

It's like those 2 morons that go around claiming copyright infringement. 

Same goes for people around Axl. 

If Del or Beta come and say to some random bloke to do something... those guys think it probably came straight from the man him self.

And I wouldnt be surprised if most of the rumours are generated because of the Proxy-Axls. (No matter if their intent is good or bad)

Edited by username05
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

6 minutes ago, username05 said:

Well, it's hard to distinguish Axl, from people who do stuff on Axls behalf. 

It's like those 2 morons that go around claiming copyright infringement. 

Same goes for people around Axl. 

If Del or Beta come and say to some random bloke to do something... those guys think it probably came straight from the man him self.

And I wouldnt be surprised if most of the rumours are generated because of the Proxy-Axls. (No matter if their intent is good or bad)

Yep. Dead on. 

It's like the age old "no Slash shirts" rumor. I always thought "Oh come on, now that's complete bullshit!" until I saw it happen at the Chicago HoB show. 

We were all standing in line and about 30 minutes before the doors opened, a couple of guys were sent out to scan the line for Slash shirts. They even had a guy turn his T Rex shirt inside out because it sort of looked like Slash. 

If I hadn't seen it for myself, I never would have believed it. Anyways, the point is that I'm 100% certain Axl Rose never told anyone that Slash shirts shouldn't be allowed. Some dumb ass in his little circle of people probably took it upon themselves to make that rule. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

According to Marc Canter, those songs were songs Slash had written parts on before he left (or based on Slash ideas):

Axl was cracking the door open and saying to me  “If  Slash apologizes publicly for the things he said about me in the press I have three songs that he could play on the new album”.  They were three songs that Slash had written on and Axl wanted to do something with them and include them on Chinese Democracy which would have been cool.  

https://www.legendaryrockinterviews.com/2012/04/22/legendary-rock-interview-with-guns-n-roses-insider-and-author-marc-canter/

So this excludes at least most of the songs we know. Maybe it was Oklahoma and/or Hardschool, Quick Song maybe, or maybe 1-2 other songs we don't know.

Pretty sure I read rough versions of prostitute and this i love had been kicking around before slash left the band in the 90s.

Not sure of the third track. 

5 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Yep. Dead on. 

It's like the age old "no Slash shirts" rumor. I always thought "Oh come on, now that's complete bullshit!" until I saw it happen at the Chicago HoB show. 

We were all standing in line and about 30 minutes before the doors opened, a couple of guys were sent out to scan the line for Slash shirts. They even had a guy turn his T Rex shirt inside out because it sort of looked like Slash. 

If I hadn't seen it for myself, I never would have believed it. Anyways, the point is that I'm 100% certain Axl Rose never told anyone that Slash shirts shouldn't be allowed. Some dumb ass in his little circle of people probably took it upon themselves to make that rule. 

it appears GNR aint the only band with a Tshirt obsession.

Edited by username05

5 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

No way Slash would have contributed to that album at the time. He was really livid that Axl was carrying on the band after they had all left. Him contributing would have made CD more successful which he wouldn’t have wanted at that time. 

Don’t really believe Axl would have wanted him on the album either. 

Slash was still burned about all members leaving and what happened to the band. I doubt he would have wanted anything to do with axl at this point.

• Like 1

I think one of the songs may be This I love. It is the typical Axl song where Slash can make a great contribution. And as old as it is, it is possible that Slash has worked on it. Besides that Axl didn't want to include it in the Chinese.

Other songs that I think are old enough for Slash to have contributed are TWAT and Oklahoma.

It is also known that Axl worked in Back and Forth, perhaps he still had the idea of working it.