Jump to content
KeyserSoze

"'If Slash apologizes publicly for the things he said about me in the press I have three songs that he could play on the new album'." - Axl Rose (as told by Marc Canter, circa 2001)

Recommended Posts

46 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Marc Canter said Axl told him that at the pool after RIR 2001.

Axl talked a lot about Slash, at least during that period. Gilby referring to what he and Axl talked about when they saw each other again at that club in 2000 (where Axl joined Gilby on stage):

Gilby: [...]  Then we talked until late. [Axl] told me a lot of stuff about the new album, what was going on with that. He talked about Slash a lot and the album we did with Snakepit. He tried to make it sound like Slash and I were against him. And I said, “It wasn't like that, you have the wrong idea about it. I’m just speaking for myself. I didn’t talk to Slash about how I felt, I only told you. We wanted to make a Guns record, not a Snakepit record. But we couldn’t, so we did the Snakepit album.” 

http://www.a-4-d.com/t3659-2005-03-06-gunsnroses-gr-interview-with-gilby-translated-from-greek

---------

There is also this story of the electronica musician Uwe Schmidt's meeting with Axl, which is kind of funny. Based on  Schmidt's biography, it must have happened when Axl was in Chile in 2001:

- In Santiago, you met with Axl Rose from Guns N’ Roses. How did this come about?

Schmidt: After I arrived Chile, at some point I decided to sell some old machines that I had brought with me and didn’t want anymore. This guy Chris from Los Angeles wrote to me and wanted to buy them. He was a fan of mine and did actually buy them, so I packed them all up and sent them to Los Angeles. We got into an exchange of emails, and he said he worked as a technician in Axl Rose’s studio. He said that sometimes he would play my music in the studio. One time Axl came in and asked what it was. After a while, Axl remembered my music when he heard it in the studio and would say, “Oh yeah, that’s that guy.” I thought it was just a funny anecdote.

A year later my phone rang on a late afternoon and it was Chris, who said that Axl Rose was in Santiago as part of a tour around South America. They were in a restaurant around the corner, and that I should come by. I thought, “Okay, I’ll go.” I got there and they’d cleared out the restaurant; it was just Axl sitting there with this massive bodyguard, a Brazilian manager, this woman from Argentina, and my friend Chris. I sat at the other end of the table from him and didn’t understand what he was saying. He was talking about Slash the whole time and I didn’t know anything about Slash, so I couldn’t add anything. After an hour he said to me, “You’re Chris’ friend, what do you do? You’re a musician, right?”. So, I said “Yeah I’m a musician. I live here. I just wanted to come down and see Chris.” We went to his hotel and had some drinks and so on, and I only exchanged about three sentences with him. It was a really surreal situation. They had cleared out the whole floor of the hotel for him and there were all these fans standing around waiting for autographs.

(I guess "Chris" must have been Pitman. If it was him, it's also funny that Schmidt thought he was a "technician").

https://www.electronicbeats.net/interview-with-uwe-schmidt/

--------

I'm also gonna leave this here again:

http://www.a-4-d.com/t3843-2019-04-26-music-week-ex-guns-n-roses-manager-merck-mercuriadis-talks-slash-axl-s-reunion

Hipgnosis Songs boss Mercuriadis, who left the GNR fold in 2006, managed the Axl Rose-fronted rock legends for several years during guitarist Slash's exile from the group.

Slash announced his return to the band alongside fellow original member Duff McKagan in January 2016 following a 20-year absence.

“The reunion was always a possibility because Axl [Rose] was open-minded to it," said Mercuriadis. "All he ever wanted was for Slash to apologise for certain things and while Slash was in a position where he maybe didn’t understand that was what was necessary, then the band were never going to come together.

"But at some point it was inevitable that they would have that conversation and Slash would be able to have his say, because there were things that he wasn’t happy about."

Beginning in April 2016 the Not In This Lifetime... tour, which reunited original members Axl Rose, Slash and Duff McKagan, became the second highest grossing of all-time, generating $563.3 million (£436.8m) from 159 shows.

"Axl was always protective of Slash and the other guys in Guns N’ Roses," said Mercuriadis, who stars on the cover of the latest issue of Music Week. "There were just certain things that he wanted to be put right. They obviously figured out how to put them right and it’s been incredibly successful.”

 

Who is it "Woman from Argentina"  ❓

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ratam said:

Who is it "Woman from Argentina"  ❓

Maybe he meant Beta. He didn't know anyone well, maybe he heard she was Brazilian, but after so many years he didn't remember and confused it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Blackstar said:

Maybe he meant Beta. He didn't know anyone well, maybe he heard she was Brazilian, but after so many years he didn't remember and confused it.

Thanks, i guess it too, because.many people confuse Brazil with Argentina. Americans always think that Argentina and Brazil is an only country ☺

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all, you guys have an amazing memory! Congrats!

Axl was a mess during that time imo. There was all the resentment with Duff and Slash, he didn’t know exactly what direction to go musically with the band, he was isolated, paranoid, there was the stuff he was dealing with since the early nineties from his childhood and if I’m not mistaken his mom died during that same time. There was also the lawsuits and the problems with managers, the record company etc.

Besides the lack of communication between all of them, apparently there were many people between them causing even more problems. I think all of them, but especially Axl, had to do a lot of thinking, put things in perspective, self analysis and therapy, but for me it was always pretty clear that they missed and loved each other, they just couldn’t and didn’t know how to make amendments.

The other day I was watching again an interview Slash gave to Nikki Sixx and he totally confirmed my theory. When you have a fight with someone that’s not important to you, you just let it go. But when it’s someone you love, it hurts like hell and makes it all harder. If you haven’t seen, take a look, he starts talking about that around 30min in.

 

  • Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

This I Love was written in 1992. It's unknown if Slash had written/played on it or if it was just Axl on the piano. It was going to be used in a Robin Williams movie in 1998, but, according to Dave Dominguez, when Axl heard a line in the end about Stephanie Seymour, he told him to erase it (it's not clear if the whole song or part of it was erased). Then Axl abandoned the idea of recording the song for a long time, until he was convinced by Robin Finck and Tommy to do so. So definitely This I Love wasn't one of the songs Axl wanted on the album in 2001.

I haven't read anything about Prostitute or TWAT predating the CD era. Prostitute was developed in the Youth era, as well as Madagascar. 

Back and Forth again was used on "It's Five O' Clock Somewhere", so why would Axl have wanted to work on that.

But I think that Oklahoma definitely might have been one of them, as, according to Dominguez, it was written before the very first CD studio sessions started.

I generally doubt that it was one of the songs that are on CD, because the songs Marc Canter referred to were songs Slash already had been part of, and I don't think Axl would have put Slash songs on the album without Slash playing them. 

 

Oklahoma was also written when he was going through divorce. I remember that from somewhere too now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

who cares about anything post 17/7/93?  TSI excluded

Damn, TSI was better than any song of CD

A lot of Guns N Roses fans care about post 1993

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, downzy said:

Really? 

Call me cynical, but if there wasn't as much money on the table and had Ron and Ashba not quit back in 2015, I'm not sure we'd be seeing Axl and Slash on the stage together.  

Im really suprised by the whole reunion.

I thought the only time the reunion would have happened was if CD2 and 3 were released and commecially not successful and or an ever decreasing number of people attending the concerts. I think between 2011 and 2014 the writing was on the wall that there would be no trilogy released.

Edited by Sydney Fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Street Of Dreams, This I Love and TWAT in my opinion are the 3 Axl wanted Slash... Robin's solo in TWAT somehow remembers me  Slash approach on solos...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, vloors said:

Oklahoma was also written when he was going through divorce. I remember that from somewhere too now. 

It was inspired by the Oklahoma bombing in 1995, which happened while Axl had hearing/deposition there for the Erin Everly lawsuit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to go with my theory that Hard School was one of the three and that the idea for the song came from the 94-96 sessions. It just has too much of the classic GNR vibe for it to be created as part of the CD sessions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shotsfired cro said:

who cares about anything post 17/7/93? 

I just cared about how the band's name was being dragged through the mud. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ot, but sort of on topic...

closest thing you'lll get to a photo of Axl and Slash from 2004.

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFIjqVjQuitTvM350t0Rx

Edited by username05
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ratam said:

Thanks, i guess it too, because.many people confuse Brazil with Argentina. Americans always think that Argentina and Brazil is an only country ☺

I don't think so man. Uwe Schmidt (known as Atom Heart) was already living in Chile for 4 years when that happened. I'm not going to say he's particularly famous here, but he's somewhat of a cult figure in the electronic scene here. And no offense, but only some dumb americans see it that way, he's german. I don't know who he was referring to as the argentinian woman, but he should've known if she was brazilian (Beta), since he was probably already fluent in spanish by this time, and probably would've known or recognize the different accent. There's a big difference between chilean accent, argentinian accent and portuguese.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, NicoGNR5 said:

I don't think so man. Uwe Schmidt (known as Atom Heart) was already living in Chile for 4 years when that happened. I'm not going to say he's particularly famous here, but he's somewhat of a cult figure in the electronic scene here. And no offense, but only some dumb americans see it that way, he's german. I don't know who he was referring to as the argentinian woman, but he should've known if she was brazilian (Beta), since he was probably already fluent in spanish by this time, and probably would've known or recognize the different accent. There's a big difference between chilean accent, argentinian accent and portuguese.

This call my attention, because he refer about Beta as Brazilian, and after a comma said Argentinian woman. Maybe is just an draw up wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Marc Canter said Axl told him that at the pool after RIR 2001.

Axl talked a lot about Slash, at least during that period. Gilby referring to what he and Axl talked about when they saw each other again at that club in 2000 (where Axl joined Gilby on stage):

Gilby: [...]  Then we talked until late. [Axl] told me a lot of stuff about the new album, what was going on with that. He talked about Slash a lot and the album we did with Snakepit. He tried to make it sound like Slash and I were against him. And I said, “It wasn't like that, you have the wrong idea about it. I’m just speaking for myself. I didn’t talk to Slash about how I felt, I only told you. We wanted to make a Guns record, not a Snakepit record. But we couldn’t, so we did the Snakepit album.” 

http://www.a-4-d.com/t3659-2005-03-06-gunsnroses-gr-interview-with-gilby-translated-from-greek

---------

There is also this story of the electronica musician Uwe Schmidt's meeting with Axl, which is kind of funny. Based on  Schmidt's biography, it must have happened when Axl was in Chile in 2001:

- In Santiago, you met with Axl Rose from Guns N’ Roses. How did this come about?

Schmidt: After I arrived Chile, at some point I decided to sell some old machines that I had brought with me and didn’t want anymore. This guy Chris from Los Angeles wrote to me and wanted to buy them. He was a fan of mine and did actually buy them, so I packed them all up and sent them to Los Angeles. We got into an exchange of emails, and he said he worked as a technician in Axl Rose’s studio. He said that sometimes he would play my music in the studio. One time Axl came in and asked what it was. After a while, Axl remembered my music when he heard it in the studio and would say, “Oh yeah, that’s that guy.” I thought it was just a funny anecdote.

A year later my phone rang on a late afternoon and it was Chris, who said that Axl Rose was in Santiago as part of a tour around South America. They were in a restaurant around the corner, and that I should come by. I thought, “Okay, I’ll go.” I got there and they’d cleared out the restaurant; it was just Axl sitting there with this massive bodyguard, a Brazilian manager, this woman from Argentina, and my friend Chris. I sat at the other end of the table from him and didn’t understand what he was saying. He was talking about Slash the whole time and I didn’t know anything about Slash, so I couldn’t add anything. After an hour he said to me, “You’re Chris’ friend, what do you do? You’re a musician, right?”. So, I said “Yeah I’m a musician. I live here. I just wanted to come down and see Chris.” We went to his hotel and had some drinks and so on, and I only exchanged about three sentences with him. It was a really surreal situation. They had cleared out the whole floor of the hotel for him and there were all these fans standing around waiting for autographs.

(I guess "Chris" must have been Pitman. If it was him, it's also funny that Schmidt thought he was a "technician").

https://www.electronicbeats.net/interview-with-uwe-schmidt/

--------

I'm also gonna leave this here again:

http://www.a-4-d.com/t3843-2019-04-26-music-week-ex-guns-n-roses-manager-merck-mercuriadis-talks-slash-axl-s-reunion

Hipgnosis Songs boss Mercuriadis, who left the GNR fold in 2006, managed the Axl Rose-fronted rock legends for several years during guitarist Slash's exile from the group.

Slash announced his return to the band alongside fellow original member Duff McKagan in January 2016 following a 20-year absence.

“The reunion was always a possibility because Axl [Rose] was open-minded to it," said Mercuriadis. "All he ever wanted was for Slash to apologise for certain things and while Slash was in a position where he maybe didn’t understand that was what was necessary, then the band were never going to come together.

"But at some point it was inevitable that they would have that conversation and Slash would be able to have his say, because there were things that he wasn’t happy about."

Beginning in April 2016 the Not In This Lifetime... tour, which reunited original members Axl Rose, Slash and Duff McKagan, became the second highest grossing of all-time, generating $563.3 million (£436.8m) from 159 shows.

"Axl was always protective of Slash and the other guys in Guns N’ Roses," said Mercuriadis, who stars on the cover of the latest issue of Music Week. "There were just certain things that he wanted to be put right. They obviously figured out how to put them right and it’s been incredibly successful.”

 

You always seem to put together really interesting quotes and facts on all these topics!

Thanks for that! I don't  know how you do it!

Maybe you should write a book.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I know right? @Blackstar is my favorite member here, no joking. :)

I thought about writing a book myself about the Chinese Democracy saga. Not only just with old quotes like Chinese Whispers (which is awesome, of course), but with new interviews and through the 2019/2020 lens, with added context. Still think it wouldnt be a good as it could be without some key-members input, like Axl himself (of course) and at least Robin and Bucket. :( 

Couldn't agree more. When people come in with crazy theories or even just mis-remembered details, @Blackstar is always there to set a GnR fan right! 

  • Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

Couldn't agree more. When people come in with crazy theories or even just mis-remembered details, @Blackstar is always there to set a GnR fan right! 

Which is always needed, may I say. :shrugs: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, DK6 said:

You always seem to put together really interesting quotes and facts on all these topics!

Thanks for that! I don't  know how you do it!

Maybe you should write a book.

8 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I know right? @Blackstar is my favorite member here, no joking. :)

6 hours ago, DTV88 said:

Couldn't agree more. When people come in with crazy theories or even just mis-remembered details, @Blackstar is always there to set a GnR fan right! 

Lol, thank you. I just happen to have a good memory, I guess, and I like nerdy stuff.  :)

@SoulMonster has been writing sort-of a book based on public sources (interviews, articles, autobiographies) and I'm helping a little bit 

http://www.a-4-d.com/t3987-history-index

8 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I thought about writing a book myself about the Chinese Democracy saga. Not only just with old quotes like Chinese Whispers (which is awesome, of course), but with new interviews and through the 2019/2020 lens, with added context. Still think it wouldnt be a good as it could be without some key-members input, like Axl himself (of course) and at least Robin and Bucket. :( 

That would be a great idea, because the CD era history really needs to be updated.

I would say the same goes even for the classic era, because, even though we think there's not much else to know, there are sources like interviews that hadn't circulated or used in books before, which shed light and even change the perception on certain events.

But the problem with the CD era is, as you say, that there are less sources and input from the people directly involved, which makes the effort more difficult. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Lol, thank you. I just happen to have a good memory, I guess, and I like nerdy stuff.  :)

@SoulMonster has been writing sort-of a book based on public sources (interviews, articles, autobiographies) and I'm helping a little bit 

http://www.a-4-d.com/t3987-history-index

That would be a great idea, because the CD era history really needs to be updated.

I would say the same goes even for the classic era, because, even though we think there's not much else to know, there are sources like interviews that hadn't circulated or used in books before, which shed light and even change the perception on certain events.

But the problem with the CD era is, as you say, that there are less sources and input from the people directly involved, which makes the effort more difficult. 

This is a massive project. Great work there. 

Yeah, the lack of sources is a big problem. Even more if you think about band members - there's so much bitter and angst. Bumblefoot doesnt like to talk about it, it was clearly a difficult time for him. Buckethead doesnt either - well, he almost never talk at all. Robin seems ok, but never really seems like it could provide details. I'm not sure if Pitman ever talked about this after he left the band, and I'm not sure if he's still trying to sue Axl/the band. 

I tried to talk to Merck once. Said it was meant to be an interview about the band, but he refused. I tried to talk to Ron while he was still in the band, and maybe approach Caram Constanzo. Didnt really happen like I wanted. I did a regular interview about Bumble's solo album, tho.

Its like everybody who is and was in the GNR camp avoid setting the record straight. The mystery only works against it tho, because it gets people obsessed with details and with unrealistic expectations - we saw a lot of that with the recent leaks.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×