"'If Slash apologizes publicly for the things he said about me in the press I have three songs that he could play on the new album'." - Axl Rose (as told by Marc Canter, circa 2001)

Those Merck quotes on page three just make no sense to me, and i'm not saying he's wrong because he'd know better than most. But it suggests the Donnington 2006 reunion rumours were credible. And I just don't see at any point before the reunion pieces started happening in 2014-2015 with Duff playing, Ashba and BBF leaving, Slash divorce etc that Axl would have just dropped the new lineup and all the recorded songs to go play the hits with Slash and Duff or figure them into the tracks he'd already done at that point. 

Whilst i'm sure his level of anger and defiance towards a reunion varied massively between 2001 and 2014 from wanting Slash to apologise and play on 3 tracks in 2001 (presumably without rejoining/touring full time) to Slash's book and interview quotes and VR and a million other things, I just don't see him 'caving in' and throwing the towel in. By 2012 we're still at 'not in this lifetime.'

Incidentally, what I wouldn't give to see those first texts between Axl and Slash, hear that first call and be in the room for the first meeting/dinner at Axl's. I wonder if they'll ever spare any details or take it to their graves. 

Edited by Jordan Rose

3 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

Those Merck quotes on page three just make no sense to me, and i'm not saying he's wrong because he'd know better than most. But it suggests the Donnington 2006 reunion rumours were credible. And I just don't see at any point before the reunion pieces started happening in 2014-2015 with Duff playing, Ashba and BBF leaving, Slash divorce etc that Axl would have just dropped the new lineup and all the recorded songs to go play the hits with Slash and Duff or figure them into the tracks he'd already done at that point. 

Whilst i'm sure his level of anger and defiance towards a reunion varied massively between 2001 and 2014 from wanting Slash to apologise and play on 3 tracks in 2001 (presumably without rejoining/touring full time) to Slash's book and interview quotes and VR and a million other things, I just don't see him 'caving in' and throwing the towel in. By 2012 we're still at 'not in this lifetime.'

Incidentally, what I wouldn't give to see those first texts between Axl and Slash, hear that first call and be in the room for the first meeting/dinner at Axl's. I wonder if they'll ever spare any details or take it to their graves. 

I always felt the only time axl would have thrown the towel in and considered a reunion would have been if CD2 and possibly 3 were released and commrrcial failure. Or if duff and slash were prepared to only tour so the first setlist would be the classics and the second half would be CD. Building a setlist around the  past and future representation of GNR as axl saw it. Then again its rumoured the record company had no interest in releasing CD2 with t he current lineup so where does that leave axl?.

I agree with your last paragraph. Im sure slash played axls VM a dozen times when he first got the message and thinking "is this for real".....

Edited by Sydney Fan