Guns n Roses Ban Fan From Shows Due to Song Leaks (Link)

When these songs leaked, nobody outside the forums gave a shit.

I played the songs for some friends when they leaked, and they liked the songs, but they didn't know about them and didn't care about tracking them down online. One of those same friends texted me a link to the article earlier today though... TB has fucked up yet again by not only bringing significantly more attention to the leaks, but making themselves and the band look like petty fools.

• Like 2

Just now, Gordon Comstock said:

I played the songs for some friends when they leaked, and they liked the songs, but they didn't know about them and didn't care about tracking them down online. One of those same friends texted me a link to the article earlier today though... TB has fucked up yet again by not only bringing significantly more attention to the leaks, but making themselves and the band look like petty fools.

Ehhh I think that’s music in general in 2019. If it’s not readily available to stream it’s not worth the effort. That’s just reality outside of the fanbase 

• Like 1

I can see both sides on this.

On one hands, there are the fans who want to hear unreleased music from a band that doesn't release any. And there are fans like Rick who go to unbelievably great lengths to obtain that music.

On the other hand, TB have to deal with a situation where someone posts openly about buying unreleased music, and huge anticipation is created among the fanbase that the content is going to leak. TB had basically three options of handling the situation: 1) notify the authorities and/or take civil legal action, 2) try to make a deal behind the scenes in hope that they will prevent the content from leaking  2) do nothing and just let the stuff leak, although one of the protagonists made his and another buyer's identity public. A fourth option would be to do something similar with Radiohead and release it officially, but that's not up to TB; it's up to the label and Axl.

So they went with the second option. They made an agreement and actually the band bought their own material back from Rick, I guess on the condition that they wouldn't leak it/give it to other people. Then, all the stuff leaks, and even though probably there is no proof about who the leaker was, the fan who everybody knows by name, posts about going to a show with a VIP ticket. I guess they could have just let him be. But I'm thinking, if they didn't do anything, wouldn't that encourage anyone who has access to unreleased material to leak it as well - let's say more "significant" material, like stuff that maybe the current lineup has been working on?

• Like 3

i think its hysterically funny because of the timing - guaranteed it was axls plan to have slash rework the songs till the end of time and then he could think about finishing them

now he has to start from scratch writing and there is no fucking way he is motivated to do that - this is izzy's moment to save the day!!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

YEP. I was saying that earlier today. TB has managed (no pun intended) to take a complete non-story and somehow drum up interest in it. Well done TB!

5 minutes ago, The Garden of Guns N Roses said:

So do you guys think that it was TB's decicion to ban the fan ?

I thought that the management is responding to the orders given by the artist. 

TB (as in, Fernando) made the decision. I'm certain of that. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 2:01 AM, RussTCB said:

YEP. I was saying that earlier today. TB has managed (no pun intended) to take a complete non-story and somehow drum up interest in it. Well done TB!

I always thought they support Axl 

Edited by The Garden of Guns N Roses

1 minute ago, The Garden of Guns N Roses said:

I always thought that TB were some kind of "yes sayers" when it comes to Axl...doing everything to please him. 

I think that was the main reason why the reunion took so long. They constantly told Axl he was the one in the right and that Slash had to come forward and apologize.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Fernando was, in my opinion, was also likely the one who was for putting “Hard School” on the alt list. This all can’t be a coincidence. Fernando loves to mess with the fans and abuse his powers.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Fernando was, in my opinion, was also likely the one who was for putting “Hard School” on the alt list. This all can’t be a coincidence. Fernando loves to mess with the fans and abuse his powers.

If the band took the time to actually learn and rehearse the song that's way beyond Fernandos powers and they actually want to play it at some point. Maybe he was the one who suggested it since he read the reactions and saw it got a good reaction. I don't see it going further than that

2 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Duff posted that setlist on his IG though (with the alt-list half-hidden, but Hardschool could be seen being there). And I don't think Slash and Duff would play Fernando's games.

1 minute ago, Creed said:

dude paid so much for this 32 concerts. punishing a superfan for demos is dumb. + TB knows that they doing enough money with concerts now. CD in this leaked form is worthless. 

It doesn't matter how much he paid for the concerts nor how much money the NITL concerts are making. GNR and management have the right to go after him legally, especially if it's true that they paid him to not disseminate the material. It was not a smart move by Rick to go on forums and announce that he was buying the locker. 

I haven’t even looked for any of the leaks. Ran into Hard School one day and liked it but haven’t bothered searching for anything else. I’ll be happy to get a well mixed official release one day, but it’s cool that some got to hear the work that was put into the Chinese sessions. This should have been a non story but TB has appeared to take a scratch and turn it into a dead body.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

If the band took the time to actually learn and rehearse the song that's way beyond Fernandos powers and they actually want to play it at some point. Maybe he was the one who suggested it since he read the reactions and saw it got a good reaction. I don't see it going further than that

No video or audio proof of a rehearsal has surfaced.

Well ... if they were trying to stifle talk about leaks, this was definitely the wrong approach. I don't care that Rick was banned for life, honestly. I don't know the particulars of it. But now he's out there doing interviews and bringing more attention to the leaks, which will in turn cause more fans to go out looking for them. It's all so silly. Record proper versions, master it, release them, and no one but the diehards will give a shit about early leaked versions. 

5 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

No video or audio proof of a rehearsal has surfaced.

A forum user was there and heard it, and @Gibbo confirmed it no? Regardless, that coupled with it being on the alt setlist doesn't make it seem like some ridiculous claim

• Like 1

Well, I guess I’m alone on this one. I don’t think that Axl is their hostage and he’s also not a saint. Yes, it seems that TB does everything to please him, but I absolutely do not believe that they make this very important decisions without him knowing about it, especially because he loves having control. Axl is a pretty smart guy and it’s a very comfortable position for him having someone to publicly take the blame for every bad decision that GNR makes. 

• Like 2

Just now, nycgunner said:

I feel bad for Rick. He could easily just be an unfortunate scapegoat here.

Axl & co. have a legitimate right to be upset. I hate how GNR fans are treated and the lack of no new music, but it’s the artist and/or the owner of contents call on how he or she wants to sell and market their work. 

That said, banning him from a show is just a dick and petty move. These guys are giants relative to him  - both in the awe / respect he has for GNR - and financially / power wise.  Their lawyers could bankrupt this guy. It’s a bad look on GNR’s part - seems to be a recurring theme. 

Im interested why the band didnt take legal action