Sweet Child O' Mine reaches 1Billion Views on Youtube

8 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

I hate to say it, but considering the recent concert takedowns, this is probably true. :/

nonetheless, it’s still cool that the official music videos seem to be the most viewed out of any rock artist! Pop artists like Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift are still miles ahead of them tho.

Funny considering she did a famous cover of SCOM just three years earlier lol.

But GNR are the only band to have videos over 1 billion that aren't from the new millennium. There was an article awhile back that said according to YouTube, the most popular rock from the 80's and 90's is GNR by a mile. Meaning the total views on November rain and sweet child.

• GNFNR 1

Led Zepplin, Beatles, Rolling Stone, Queen and many others have more famous songs than GNR. But music video plays an important role here. Axl had such a great vision regarding this. Both Slash & Izzy were disapproving of  making them. 

I think 21 pilot, Maroon 5 and Linkin park has more than one 1 billion video. 

3 hours ago, Zinia_29 said:

Led Zepplin, Beatles, Rolling Stone, Queen and many others have more famous songs than GNR. But music video plays an important role here. Axl had such a great vision regarding this. Both Slash & Izzy were disapproving of  making them. 

I think 21 pilot, Maroon 5 and Linkin park has more than one 1 billion video. 

Quantity doesnt equate to being a better band, it just means you were better at quantity, longevity or both. Then there is quality of songs and most importantly, individual preference.

GNR is the best band ever imo, the 3 listed above only 1 I would consider close to GNR and thats LZ. Beatles are cool and Queen only have 3 or 4 songs I like.

Edited by ax1
  • Like 1

This might sound blasphemous, but I never quite got why this video is considered a classic.  It's decent and enjoyable to watch, but in terms of overall concept it's pretty simple and not much to it.

I suppose the power of the song itself helped elevate the video to its iconic status it now enjoys, but remove the song and there's not much to it.

With respect to the style and substance, I always preferred the video for Yesterdays over SCOM.  I prefer the vibe better in Yesterdays with Axl and Slash dressing down a bit and looking a little less like their 80s personas.  Plus I like the song better.  But I know I'm probably in the very small minority on that one.  

For me, November Rain is still the epitome of what a rock n' roll music video should be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lio said:

Yeah, SCOM is nothing special as a video in itself. There were so many better videos in those days. Most GNR videos are better than SCOM.

My favourite GNR video will always be Don't Cry :heart:

Its not even the best SCOM video, lol. I call 3rd place, first being the long version.

My favorite is probably The Garden and the timing of it.

2 hours ago, downzy said:

This might sound blasphemous, but I never quite got why this video is considered a classic.  It's decent and enjoyable to watch, but in terms of overall concept it's pretty simple and not much to it.

I suppose the power of the song itself helped elevate the video to its iconic status it now enjoys, but remove the song and there's not much to it.

With respect to the style and substance, I always preferred the video for Yesterdays over SCOM.  I prefer the vibe better in Yesterdays with Axl and Slash dressing down a bit and looking a little less like their 80s personas.  Plus I like the song better.  But I know I'm probably in the very small minority on that one.  

For me, November Rain is still the epitome of what a rock n' roll music video should be.

I don't know if I like yesterday's better than SCOM as a song but yesterday's in the year 2003 help me in a way I didnt expect it to. It's got surprising deep lyrics and it's an underrated song.

35 minutes ago, RONIN said:

I really like the SCOM video (the full "alternate" version) :shrugs:

It's simple, grounded, and classic. Lots of iconic shots of the band. SCOM and Paradise City are probably the best GnR videos imho. 

Same here.  I like the simple " band playing together"  videos. My absolutely favorite is PC which combines the band and the audience nicely.

The bloated and theatrical videos, like NR and Estranged, don't really appeal to me. 

Edited by Fourteenbeers
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, IrishgunnerII said:

So when I heard the news about SCOM getting 1 billion views(that's an insane number btw) but when did the welcome to the videos version become what is labelled on YouTube as an alternative version ? 

Makes no sense other than screwing up or that was the way it was labeled when originally produced. When I grew up watching MTV and that came out it was always the short version with color as the primary main version, now known as "alt" version. A little later on (dont remember) the long version came out. This all BandW doest ring a bell for me, but it was a long time ago.

Edited by ax1

3 hours ago, Fourteenbeers said:

Same here.  I like the simple " band playing together"  videos. My absolutely favorite is PC which combines the band and the audience nicely.

The bloated and theatrical videos, like NR and Estranged, don't really appeal to me. 

I would like to have seen slashs reaction back in 87 when they did scom of showing him 5-6 years later a video doing a solo on a dolphin coming out of the water ( estranged).

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Haha 2

I think what some people might be missing here is how captivating the video is, considering how simple it is. It shows the star power of all the members (especially Axl and Slash of course). I'm not sure which one is hitting 1 billion, but the one from Welcome to the videos is the one I like best (although they are all the same thing, just different angles, etc). 

I think many people dont realize how rare it is to be so captivating, when all you are doing is playing your song, no story, no plot, just the band and the song. I would argue its THE best music video like that ever made, and deserving of the credit it's getting. I like all of gnrs videos (and for the most part they are all really good), but SCOM has always been my favorite, its EVERYTHING that makes gnr amazing all in a 6 min package. Which I'm not even talking about the song itself (which is a great song obviously, but is one I rarely listen to by choice), but the video is gnr at their best imo. 

Jungle, PC, NR and patience are all really good videos as well. But the simplicity of SCOM always appealed to me the most. Again, the version from welcome to the videos is my personal favorite.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 2:51 PM, UcudBmine said:

How :lol:? I mean, I love GN'R and they're my favorite band but it'd be ignorant of me to say they're the best band in the world.

Nostalgia from MTV Generation is my guess. GNR was the biggest band back then so it makes sense.

I am not sure if this was mentioned, but on their Twitter page when they made the post to celebrate the 1 billion views they posted a short clip from the video, and guess what? they cut out fucking Steven Adler and Izzy from it and inserted newer live clips of Axl, Slash and Duff in their place,  how fucking lame, if I had to take a guess who's idea this was, well yea..

https://mobile.twitter.com/gunsnroses/status/1184160818046406657

Edited by k12
  • Sad 3