Would GNR play 'Pretty Tied Up' ever again given our current political and social climate?

Now that the trend seems to be resurrecting songs from the dead, especially live and from the UYI era, Do you think the band would give this song a go given what it's about and how Izzy describes this chick???

I know its not everyones thing, but given how sexual abuse has pretty much seeped its way into every fraction of society, do you think the band has chosen to steer clear of even thinking about playing this song?

It seems like this song flew under the radar when Duff was asked about the bands past lyrics and how they still feel. I mean hell, they do play It's So Easy every single night. Dizzy even plays a watered down version of this song with his cover band Hookers & Blow..

39 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

As long as they don't play OIAM it should be fine.

I'd rather see them perform Breakdown, Dead Horse or Don't Damn Me though.

They so should play OIAM! Only maybe replacing that word with something else with two syllables... maybe "Donald"? Think about it. 

1 hour ago, DK6 said:

Damn I hope so!!

I love that song. One of my favs. Outro solo is amazing.

Interesting one re: pretty tied up being offensive.

"that bitch is just insane" is the only offensive part i would have thought.

The other stuff refers to her enjoying bdsm, whips etc which she is more than entitled to enjoy!

Stop kink-shaming her for God's sake! 

Some girls like kinky stuff - good for her I say!

Maybe " friday night is going up inside her, again".

Look if the band is worried about soy boy fans getting offended then they may as well rerelease their albums with beeps on the swear words.  I dont have an issue with these sorts of songs but what i do have an issue with is duff trying backtrack in interviews on the lyrics and not be man enough and stand behind the lyrics to give an idea of the background and the bands life during the times the songs were written.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, adamsapple said:

As long as they don't play OIAM it should be fine.

I'm always amazed when people say things like this.

I'm of the school of thought that claims you either appreciate an artists' work or you don't. But at the end of the day, it's still art. Art is meant to evoke a wide range of feelings. As long as it doesn't "incite" hate, then I feel offensive art has it's place and should not be hidden.

Axl doesn't say "death to all gays" or something. He just adresses them with a certain, offensive term. Nowhere in the song does he incite hate to them, he only tells them to leave them alone. Personally, I love the song for the attitude it dares to exhibit, I like that. It goes against mainstream etiquette, and therein lies the artistic value of this song.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, action said:

I'm always amazed when people say things like this.

I'm of the school of thought that claims you either appreciate an artists' work or you don't. But at the end of the day, it's still art. Art is meant to evoke a wide range of feelings. As long as it doesn't "incite" hate, then I feel offensive art has it's place and should not be hidden.

Axl doesn't say "death to all gays" or something. He just adresses them with a certain, offensive term. Nowhere in the song does he incite hate to them, he only tells them to leave them alone. Personally, I love the song for the attitude it dares to exhibit, I like that. It goes against mainstream etiquette, and therein lies the artistic value of this song.

It's a hateful term, that is hateful, when used. I don't thing being homophobic and racist is "going against mainstream etiquette". 

14 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

It's a hateful term, that is hateful, when used. I don't thing being homophobic and racist is "going against mainstream etiquette". 

I don't think that Axl "hates" gay people, when he used that term. If he did, he wouldn't cite Queen and Elton as major influences.

Axl meant to offend, not to incite hate.

Hell, if Axl did intend to be hateful, I don't think people would still buy their records. Who wants to  be associated with a hateful person?

I think most of us can see, that Axl didn't mean hate, but rather offence. It's ok to offend.  It's all about the intention. I see no problem there. Even when using that term.

People should stop acting like drama queens over certain words, and grow some spine.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Where's your profile picture from?

it's "reynard the fox", an urban legend where I live. He stole bacon from his uncle, the wolve "isengrimus" and has a wife "hersinde" who always complains when he's away from home too long. When hunters captured him, he pretended to be dead, and when they didn't look, he fled. One day they did manage to capture him, and he was brought before the king to pay for his deeds, but he managed to escape again by giving the king a bullshit story of a hidden treasure, that he would show the king if he freed him. Basically, he was a selfish, tormented character who managed to fool the authorities while coping with his complaining wife.

Edited by action

10 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

This. And he even say "that's right" knowing it's offensive to use one the racist term.

Also, it's not about what someone else's "flexible" interpretation, it's up to the people who are being attacked to decide what it really is. But you don't have to go that far to get that it does incite hate ("us vs. them")  when he described those people with incredibly offensive things, like "spread some fucking desease", or "they come to our country and think they'll do as they please". 

4 minutes ago, action said:

People should stop acting like drama queens over certain words, and grow some spine.

People should stop acting like the offender should have a say on what the offended should feel. 

Love the rethoric shit used to nullify arguments, calling whoever disagree as "drama queens" and such.

5 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Where's your profile picture from?

It's from a dutch poem or something? Van den vos Reynaerde
Interesting description on Wikipedia: Satire about a fox who kills and bullies, and gets away with his deeds. The rest of society isn't much better. The nobility is being portrayed as lazy and often stupid. Clergymen are sexually active. The common population is often violent and cruel. Many women are sexually promiscuous and include prostitutes.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

Now that the trend seems to be resurrecting songs from the dead, especially live and from the UYI era, Do you think the band would give this song a go given what it's about and how Izzy describes this chick???

I know its not everyones thing, but given how sexual abuse has pretty much seeped its way into every fraction of society, do you think the band has chosen to steer clear of even thinking about playing this song?

It seems like this song flew under the radar when Duff was asked about the bands past lyrics and how they still feel. I mean hell, they do play It's So Easy every single night. Dizzy even plays a watered down version of this song with his cover band Hookers & Blow..

If the (at one point) most dangerous rock band in the world would even give the slightest fuck about this, I'd be seriously disappointed. 

8 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

It's from a dutch poem or something? Van den vos Reynaerde

Interesting description on Wikipedia: Satire about a fox who kills and bullies, and gets away with his deeds. The rest of society isn't much better. The nobility is being portrayed as lazy and often stupid. Clergymen are sexually active. The common population is often violent and cruel. Many women are sexually promiscuous and include prostitutes.

Not Dutch. Flemish.:)

I think most of those old tales were cruel and involve a lot of sex, like the fairy tales. Difference here is that the bad guy basically wins.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lio said:

Not Dutch. Flemish.:)

I think most of those old tales were cruel and involve a lot of sex, like the fairy tales. Difference here is that the bad guy basically wins.

It's still a Dutch literary thing. Like it or not, you guys (try to) speak Dutch. :P 

But yes, Flemish poet. Based on a Latin thing I've heard. Not sure about that. 

Edited by username

17 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

From what @action just said and the picture I assumed it was a charming and innocent children's book lol.

Regarding One In A Million and Pretty Tied Up etc, I've said it before but it basically comes down to context. We can debate artistic freedom vs censorship but really all that matters is context. And that the songs are good.

One in a million will almost certainly never get played again live, it's just too loaded... no matter how Axl actually meant those lyrics. Pretty tied up on the other hand is much more likely.