Jump to content
KeyserSoze

Would GNR play 'Pretty Tied Up' ever again given our current political and social climate?

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Maybe, but if people are leaving the concert just after SCOM, I don't think it would sit well with the casual audience.

But they def should play some surprise accoustic gigs again. The 2006 ones got a lot of buzz. 

 

Thank you. Hope this notification reaches you well.

 

Not sure what Dr King is and I 100% disagree with what you said about feminists. But from what I see out there, SJW is not just used  for those kind of people. You see, I'm also a Star Wars fan. If you like the new trilogy or any Disney era movie, you are labeled as SJW. If I don't want to see the same white male type of leading hero in those kind of movies, I'm SJW. If there's just another POC side-character and I think its ok, I'm SJW. You get the idea.

Martin Luther King.

Oh really? My impression is modern day feminism in the West has been highjacked by absolute lunatics and then you've got everyone else who can think properly, simply understanding obvious things like there should be equal rights but that's called being a rational human being, not a feminist.

What's POC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Martin Luther King.

Oh really? My impression is modern day feminism in the West has been highjacked by absolute lunatics and then you've got everyone else who can think properly, simply understanding obvious things like there should be equal rights but that's called being a rational human being, not a feminist.

What's POC?

Oh, I see. Another thing to remember: the MLK state agreed to let Axl use his speech on Madagascar. I'm sure it would cause a lot of trouble with them if OIAM is played again.

I dont know what kind of feminist you know. The ones I know, they are not lunatics at all. It is about equal rights, but also to give the same opportunities to begin with. And of course, there's some pretty heavy stuff such as violence and sexual health that they also deal with. They have boyfriends/girlfriends or are married. Just regular people who cares a lot more about their own rights.

POC = person of color. I used because I read somewhere else, not sure if this is not something everyone knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Oh, I see. Another thing to remember: the MLK state agreed to let Axl use his speech on Madagascar. I'm sure it would cause a lot of trouble with them if OIAM is played again.

I dont know what kind of feminist you know. The ones I know, they are not lunatics at all. It is about equal rights, but also to give the same opportunities to begin with. And of course, there's some pretty heavy stuff such as violence and sexual health that they also deal with. They have boyfriends/girlfriends or are married. Just regular people who cares a lot more about their own rights.

POC = person of color. I used because I read somewhere else, not sure if this is not something everyone knows.

The normal ones you and I know, isn't that just being regular decent human beings?

I think it's unwise fundamentally attaching oneself to an ideology or label as things change and are interpreted. The proper feminism you're talking about, I fully agree with because it's sound, rational, compassionate etc obvious to the point of boring in some cases. But I don't call myself feminist because I don't want to validate the lunatics I've described who do call themselves feminists. If we abandon labels and tribalism and instead focus on reality, content of character and the validity of arguments I'm sure we'd be better off.

I think I'm rambling a bit but I find it interesting and frustrating how people want to join ideology clubs.

P.S. I agree it's ridiculous for someone to call you SJW for not having a problem with blacks or whatever in movies.

Edited by Oldest Goat
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

Maybe, but if people are leaving the concert just after SCOM, I don't think it would sit well with the casual audience.

We don’t care about the casuals, we’re the crazy internet people. 😂

They could play SCOM, the casuals leave and then the acoustic set just for us!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2019-10-16 at 6:15 AM, megaguns1982 said:

I think they should play it.... play one in a million as well.... why not.

its only music, not actual hate speech. It should be taken for what it is but we live in such a PC world these days it's fucked. Nobody can say what's on their mind without offending someone but ultimately everyone gets over it so who cares really.

Dunno where you were in 1988 but OIAM didn’t get a great reaction then. It’s not a problem in some new P.C world, people had issues with it then. Slash being one of them. 

I doubt Axl is racist, I think OIAM is the result of a certain type of mind making a statement that makes sense to them (Axl) and is also primarily a commentary on their (his) experiences of moving to a city. 

That the song ends with “much too high” sung a bunch of times is likely a reality. This song and what is was about probably made sense when he was stoned out of his tits. 

Back off bitch is the only guns song I cringe at. But I did in 1991 also.... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

The normal ones you and I know, isn't that just being regular decent human beings?

I think it's unwise fundamentally attaching oneself to an ideology or label as things change and are interpreted. The proper feminism you're talking about, I fully agree with because it's sound, rational, compassionate etc obvious to the point of boring in some cases. But I don't call myself feminist because I don't want to validate the lunatics I've described who do call themselves feminists. If we abandon labels and tribalism and instead focus on reality, content of character and the validity of arguments I'm sure we'd be better off.

I think I'm rambling a bit but I find it interesting and frustrating how people want to join ideology clubs.

P.S. I agree it's ridiculous for someone to call you SJW for not having a problem with blacks or whatever in movies.

Now I dont have the problem with the use of the word "feminist" haha. But I must say, I really like that we could talk about it and being just fine with it. :) 

2 hours ago, ChildOfTheMoon said:

We don’t care about the casuals, we’re the crazy internet people. 😂

They could play SCOM, the casuals leave and then the acoustic set just for us!

Hahahaha true. They actually should start with SCOM and then let the rest of the show for those who care. :D

And they should also write a new accoustic song too. Something with this mix of accoustic/electric laidback guitars vibe like the Lies would be awesome.

  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2019 at 9:00 AM, Oldest Goat said:

Yeah agreed and considering the context of the current political climate and the way that it's easily misinterpreted, it probably shouldn't be played live again. But at the same time, it's merely a song and you have to be very careful with censoring, it's dangerous. I only defend the song in the context of my enjoyment of it and its right to exist, I have no interest in upsetting folks going around spouting the lyrics.

Ironically enough at the 2016 Nashville concert, outside at the souvenir trailer, One in a Million was playing on the speakers lol

I like the tune, the rhythm but the use of the n word and the f word, are offensive. I read once that Axl used those words to act like people who are against those groups but it’s too loadded. Personally when I listen to it, I sing it all but I do not sing those words. That’s just me.

  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread in 1991

 

Would GNR play 'one in a million' ever again given our current political and social climate?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, something.always said:

BDSM is mainstream now. No one would bat an eye.

My theory is that those suggesting that some mythical 'others' would be offended are actually the only people who find the lyrics questionable 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering the recent developments in arrogance level and ever increasing unprofessionalism of band management, Beta and her son in particular, I would say this song fits pretty well.

"Once there was this rock n' roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke"

Edited by ©GnrPersia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2019 at 12:40 AM, 865Gunner said:

Ironically enough at the 2016 Nashville concert, outside at the souvenir trailer, One in a Million was playing on the speakers lol

I like the tune, the rhythm but the use of the n word and the f word, are offensive. I read once that Axl used those words to act like people who are against those groups but it’s too loadded. Personally when I listen to it, I sing it all but I do not sing those words. That’s just me.

Rappers/hip hoppers use “offensive” lyrics like this all the time and no problem/no pushback as it doesn’t fit narrative.  GnR should play PTU no problem.  OIAM yes I agree the snowflakes would freak out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×