Axl's St. Louis Rant Before YCBM

That card axl is handed at the start is the 'business card' for the motorcycle gang that Stump was rolling with. It was meant to put Axl in check. I love how unaffected Axl seems to be. :lol: He doesnt seem to bring it to anyone elses attention? I guess he figured if anything transpired he'd just jump into the audience and start swinging? :lol:

Also, it appears to me that Slash either has no Izzy in his mix or simply gives no fucks what Izzy is playing. He just stumbles through the intro all by himself. :( 

• Like 2

You know, they played for an hour and a half at that show... that's really not that bad... I get that it ended abruptly, but how stoked would you be to see a volatile '91 GNR for 90 minutes!

Slash's mini-solo at 4:20 is sloppy Slash at his best! That's that Jimmy Page... always on the brink of falling off the rails intensity... don't really see that style of him anymore.

"fuck yeah St. Louis, this is happenin'." So badass!

Edited by Ant

2 hours ago, Ant said:

You know, they played for an hour and a half at that show... that's really not that bad... I get that it ended abruptly, but how stoked would you be to see a volatile '91 GNR for 90 minutes!

Slash's mini-solo at 4:20 is sloppy Slash at his best! That's that Jimmy Page... always on the brink of falling off the rails intensity... don't really see that style of him anymore.

"fuck yeah St. Louis, this is happenin'." So badass!

I love the old loose playing style too. A bit too loose in the intro and solo lol but love the edgy vibes

I love bands that take this approach.

The Raconteurs don't have a setlist. Jack White just reads the crowd and tells everyone else what to play next. It's awesome. I've seen them multiple nights in a row and it feels like completely different shows, to the point where sometimes the same song will be performed differently even.

3 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

I love bands that take this approach.

The Raconteurs don't have a setlist. Jack White just reads the crowd and tells everyone else what to play next. It's awesome. I've seen them multiple nights in a row and it feels like completely different shows, to the point where sometimes the same song will be performed differently even.

That’s cool but I think the more statistical approach of Dream Theater until Mike Portnoy left is what I would go for. He would make sure the setlist was entirely different from the other shows on the current tour and would also look at the setlist they had last time in the specific town so he could play songs that weren’t played last time

4 hours ago, soon said:

That card axl is handed at the start is the 'business card' for the motorcycle gang that Stump was rolling with. It was meant to put Axl in check. I love how unaffected Axl seems to be. :lol: He doesnt seem to bring it to anyone elses attention? I guess he figured if anything transpired he'd just jump into the audience and start swinging? :lol:

Also, it appears to me that Slash either has no Izzy in his mix or simply gives no fucks what Izzy is playing. He just stumbles through the intro all by himself. :( 

That was UYI tour Izzy. That's why I don't understand why people want him back so badly. He used to just fake his way through the UYI songs and be barely audible. 

6 minutes ago, TOS--LOA said:

That was UYI tour Izzy. That's why I don't understand why people want him back so badly. He used to just fake his way through the UYI songs and be barely audible. 

Ah, you know, I can see how my phrasing "Slash just stumbles through the intro all by himself" could come across as a diss towards Izzy. But I didn't really mean it that way. I meant to say that Slash is in his own world either ignoring Izzy or having taken Izzy out of his monitor mix.

To me it seems that Izzy plays the intro properly while Slash screws around. Slash comes in late on the crescendo part, so Izzy had to wait to do the build up before the main beat drops. But to me Izzy and Matt were locked in, while Slash was off in this performance.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TOS--LOA said:

Try playing guitar when barely audible. :shrugs: I doubt he would have to fake a song he wrote, YCBM is an Izzy tune with Axl lyrics and a Slash solo.

18 minutes ago, TOS--LOA said:

Axl: You know, I read something somewhere. Someone was writing an article about my other friends. And they wrote this thing about how 'in the old days, you know, there were lots of problems and technical errors of the band and Izzy couldn't hear himself' [laughing] The reason that Izzy couldn't hear himself - this isn't being mean - is our roadies would stand behind Izzy's amp, 'cause Izzy would be so whacked out of his mind that he would basically be playing a different song in the wrong key, and the only way we could do the songs was that every time he would go to him amps, he would turn his amps up and turn around to the crowd. When he would turn around to the crowd the roadie would reach around and turn his amps back down so that we could play the song. That worked especially well in Tel Aviv [laughter] Just a full tippit there for your Trivia Pursuit [Onstage Boston, December 2002]

quoting @SoulMonster

4 hours ago, Duwz said:

Axl: You know, I read something somewhere. Someone was writing an article about my other friends. And they wrote this thing about how 'in the old days, you know, there were lots of problems and technical errors of the band and Izzy couldn't hear himself' [laughing] The reason that Izzy couldn't hear himself - this isn't being mean - is our roadies would stand behind Izzy's amp, 'cause Izzy would be so whacked out of his mind that he would basically be playing a different song in the wrong key, and the only way we could do the songs was that every time he would go to him amps, he would turn his amps up and turn around to the crowd. When he would turn around to the crowd the roadie would reach around and turn his amps back down so that we could play the song. That worked especially well in Tel Aviv [laughter] Just a full tippit there for your Trivia Pursuit [Onstage Boston, December 2002]

quoting @SoulMonster

Axl mentions Izzy being "whacked out of his mind" then he specifically mentions Tel Aviv, which took place in 1993.  But by this time Izzy was sober so if his playing was subpar it wasn't because he was loaded.

14 hours ago, Duwz said:

quoting @SoulMonster

There were a few shows in '87 and '88 when Izzy was whacked out of his mind. During the UYI touring he was of course sober and that wasn't a problem, but mentally he had kind of departed the band already.

Slash would say quite a few scathing words about Izzy and his guitar playing in '94 and '95 when he was angry at Izzy for various reasons:

Slash: "I started out as a one-guitar guy but I ended up being involved with a two-guitar band because I was forced to work with Izzy. Actually Izzy and I have a real natural relationship – it wasn't pre-conceived at all. It just sort of fell into place and I did my thing and Izzy did his and somehow or another we complemented each other. It wasn't supposed to be a two-guitar approach – he was on his side and I was on my side and the end result was completely different guitar players that happened to mesh. There were songs I would have done differently, like 'Welcome To The Jungle'. I really wanted it to sound a certain way and when I listen to it now, I still cringe sometimes. Because I hear this "tink tinkatink tink tinkatink" (Izzy's part) and I just want to hear the riff. For some reason there was interaction but it wasn't conscious. […] So, because I had to work with Izzy, Guns is now a two-guitar band. Duff always goes, "What do we need another guitar player for?" and I go, "Well, because..." " Guitar Player, February 1995.

Slash: "Gilby and I probably like each other a lot more than Izzy and I did. I think that's probably it. When Gilby and I write together, if there's a riff, I learn what he's playing and I make up another version of it. In a higher key or something. It's easy because there's no conflict of interest, no ego challenge. With Izzy, I would write stuff that was too complicated for him to play; or Izzy would write a song that was so easy for me to play it was boring. But Izzy's got a natural rock feel and people talk about, "Oh, there's Izzy and there's Keith." And I'm like, "There's Keith and then there's Izzy who could be Keith if he worked at it." They do have the same approach to guitar – open chords and a lot of rhythm. But at the same time Izzy doesn't have enough of a grasp of a guitar neck to make it sound as smooth and natural as Keith does. " Guitar Player, February 1995.

Slash: "During Appetite..., Lies and Use Your... I had to put up with Izzy the whole time. I never liked playing with him. It was wonderful to escape him on this record. It sounds tighter and so much cooler than anything we've done before. I always got irritated over Izzy's way of playing. It didn't sound right. Before "Spaghetti", we erased his guitar and Gilby put on a new one. It sounded perfect!" Okej, November 1993; translated from Swedish.

Slash: "['The Spaghetti Incident?'] was recorded the way I'd prefer to do any Guns N' Roses record. When we did Appetite and Use Your Illusion, I had to deal with Izzy. I never liked playing with Izzy the whole time I've been in this band. It was great not having to deal with him on this record. It sounds a lot tighter, or at least a little more cool than it sounded before. I always used to get bummed out about certain songs on Appetite that Izzy didn't play right. For this record, we took off all of Izzy's tracks and Gilby played them. I wasn't there when Gilby did it, but when I got the tapes back, it was a relief. It sounded perfect." Guitar Player, January 1994.

Slash: "And Izzy and I never had a great relationship. I played what I played on my side of the stage, he played on his. Izzy couldn’t really play guitar anyway — he’s a great songwriter. So I could do whatever I wanted, as long as we had a basic arrangement. Then when Izzy quit, Gilby was like a godsend, ’cause we had to put somebody in that spot." Musician Magazine, March 1995

More here: http://www.a-4-d.com/t4046p210-the-history-in-their-own-words#16103

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

There were a few shows in '87 and '88 when Izzy was whacked out of his mind and they had to turn down his amp. During the UYI touring he was of course sober and that wasn't a problem, but mentally he had kind of departed the band already.

Slash would say quite a few scathing words about Izzy and his guitar playing in '94 and '95 when he was angry at Izzy for various reasons:

Slash: "I started out as a one-guitar guy but I ended up being involved with a two-guitar band because I was forced to work with Izzy. Actually Izzy and I have a real natural relationship – it wasn't pre-conceived at all. It just sort of fell into place and I did my thing and Izzy did his and somehow or another we complemented each other. It wasn't supposed to be a two-guitar approach – he was on his side and I was on my side and the end result was completely different guitar players that happened to mesh. There were songs I would have done differently, like 'Welcome To The Jungle'. I really wanted it to sound a certain way and when I listen to it now, I still cringe sometimes. Because I hear this "tink tinkatink tink tinkatink" (Izzy's part) and I just want to hear the riff. For some reason there was interaction but it wasn't conscious. […] So, because I had to work with Izzy, Guns is now a two-guitar band. Duff always goes, "What do we need another guitar player for?" and I go, "Well, because..." " Guitar Player, February 1995.

Slash: "Gilby and I probably like each other a lot more than Izzy and I did. I think that's probably it. When Gilby and I write together, if there's a riff, I learn what he's playing and I make up another version of it. In a higher key or something. It's easy because there's no conflict of interest, no ego challenge. With Izzy, I would write stuff that was too complicated for him to play; or Izzy would write a song that was so easy for me to play it was boring. But Izzy's got a natural rock feel and people talk about, "Oh, there's Izzy and there's Keith." And I'm like, "There's Keith and then there's Izzy who could be Keith if he worked at it." They do have the same approach to guitar – open chords and a lot of rhythm. But at the same time Izzy doesn't have enough of a grasp of a guitar neck to make it sound as smooth and natural as Keith does. " Guitar Player, February 1995.

Slash: "During Appetite..., Lies and Use Your... I had to put up with Izzy the whole time. I never liked playing with him. It was wonderful to escape him on this record. It sounds tighter and so much cooler than anything we've done before. I always got irritated over Izzy's way of playing. It didn't sound right. Before "Spaghetti", we erased his guitar and Gilby put on a new one. It sounded perfect!" Okej, November 1993; translated from Swedish.

Slash: "['The Spaghetti Incident?'] was recorded the way I'd prefer to do any Guns N' Roses record. When we did Appetite and Use Your Illusion, I had to deal with Izzy. I never liked playing with Izzy the whole time I've been in this band. It was great not having to deal with him on this record. It sounds a lot tighter, or at least a little more cool than it sounded before. I always used to get bummed out about certain songs on Appetite that Izzy didn't play right. For this record, we took off all of Izzy's tracks and Gilby played them. I wasn't there when Gilby did it, but when I got the tapes back, it was a relief. It sounded perfect." Guitar Player, January 1994.

Slash: "And Izzy and I never had a great relationship. I played what I played on my side of the stage, he played on his. Izzy couldn’t really play guitar anyway — he’s a great songwriter. So I could do whatever I wanted, as long as we had a basic arrangement. Then when Izzy quit, Gilby was like a godsend, ’cause we had to put somebody in that spot." Musician Magazine, March 1995

More here: http://www.a-4-d.com/t4046p210-the-history-in-their-own-words#16103

I never get the negativity from slash about izzy because he was then full of good words in slashs book about the writing experience during VR ( 2002/3) for contraband.

Edited by Sydney Fan

6 hours ago, ChildOfTheMoon said:

You know those youtubers making videos like “reacting to xyz”? Axl should do a video “reacting to my old rants”! That would be amazing! Just imagine his face when he sees stuff like that “I saw that show in Toledo”. 😂

And the 93 metallica rant in san fran.

23 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

I never get the negativity from slash about izzy because he was then full of good words in slashs book about the writing experience during VR ( 2002/3) for contraband.

The negativity from both Slash and Axl seems to have come in ebbs and flows, likely as a result if things happening between them and Izzy.

After Izzy left (in 1991) Slash was angry at him for how it had happened and because it meant Slash had t find a replacement within a short amount of time or they would have to delay the upcoming eg of the tour. This was Slash's responsibilty and it probably caused him quite a bit of stress. More so than Axl who didn't have to deal with those practicalities of the departure. Axl was of course disappointed and angry because of Izzy throwing away something they had created and because he feared what this depature would mean for the band. Slash, too, but also the problems with finding a replacement.

Then after Izzy had stepped in for Gilby in 1993, Slash was again angry with Izzy. Some of it was due to Slash feeling Izzy came absolutely unprepared for the shows and didn't step up to the task - which remined him of course of how Izzy had behaved during the UYI recording and tour in 1991. But also likely because of Izzy's compensation demands, which is alluded to in a few interviews. So this could likely explain some of the angry quotes from Slash in 1993-1994.

In 1995 I have to speculate a bit. Rumours were spreading that Izzy would join the band again. As you know, Gilby was dismissed in June-December 1994, and in the interim the band had tested out different replacements with no success, including Paul Huge and Zakk Wylde. We know that Slash played with Izzy during his Snakepit tour in 1995 and that Duff played with Izzy for the Hard Rock Hotel opening in December 1994 (I might remember this date wrong). So there was contact between the guys and Izzy at this time. This is pure speculation, but I believe Slash would have preferred Izzy back over Huge and Wylde, and that they talked to Izzy about this. This is also implied from a quote from Slash in 1995 when he said that Izzy wasn't interested for the same reasons he had quit the band in 1991. I believe Izzy probably made some demands, perhaps financially, that the band couldn't accept and that this might have made Slash angry. But again, this is pure speculation based on Slash's anger, the contemporary rumors, and the fact that they seemed to have discussed Izzy coming back. This meant that Slash likely thought he would have to accept Huge being in the band, or demand that Huge was dismissed somethng he knew could result in Slash being ousted from the band. So this could explain why Slash's anger flared up again in 1995, although, again, I have to emphasize this is just me speculating. 

• GNFNR 1