How would Atlas and Hard School sound with Axl's voice now?

Just a hypothetical, completely unlikely but,

If Axl was to sing Atlas or Hard School nowadays with his voice do we think he could pull it off still or with his clean voice would it suit the song?
Heres hoping sometime within the next 20 days we will have somewhat of an answer but every day that seems less and less likely imo. 

2 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

They could sound good if Axl could be bothered, but doubtful..

the AC/DC thing proved he can still sing great but god only knows why he doesn't with GNR.

factor in that he essentially blew his voice during the second leg of his AC/DC run. Voice cracks and all.

51 minutes ago, Underhardy said:

Atlas has zero rasp, but I’m not sure Axl has that voice in him still. Think Shadow of Your Love for the raspy chorus of Hard School

This. 

Also, I'd be more concerned about songs like Street of Dreams or This I Love these days... 

1 hour ago, Joraz said:

If Axl was to sing Atlas or Hard School nowadays with his voice do we think he could pull it off still or with his clean voice would it suit the song?
Heres hoping sometime within the next 20 days we will have somewhat of an answer but every day that seems less and less likely imo. 

My guess would be worse. Which is why I'm sceptical about possible upcoming releases and very glad about the leaks. 

9 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

He has zero accountability in GNR and that's why. 

In ACDC, Angus and their fans would've lost their shit if he didn't try. In GNR, he's surrounded by yes men up to and including Slash & Duff. On top of that, people have shown worldwide that they'll pay Axl for the bare minimum effort. 

So... Zero accountability is the answer to why he doesn't try with GNR. 

*Why he doesn't try harder. I think he puts in some effort in obviously, but in comparison to others even within his own band, it's minimal. I think you are right on the money besides though, including his new yes man acquisitions Duff and Slash. He's only accountable to himself, and when he shits the bed on a live stream, it's probably everybody elses fault.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gimpy Hewitt said:

factor in that he essentially blew his voice during the second leg of his AC/DC run. Voice cracks and all.

Did he blow it or did he get complacent? If Axl blew his voice, he would have had no choice but to postpone gigs considering he had a multi-million tour lined up with his own band.

I think he tried really hard with AC/DC, but by the end of it he was both very tired because it's a much more intense set to sing and he was getting comfortable. He was still good but his voice was breaking hitting those really high notes in Hells bells and Shoot to thrill.

Edited by Tom2112

4 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Did he blow it or did he get complacent? If Axl blew his voice, he would have had no choice but to postpone gigs considering he had a multi-million tour lined up with his own band.

I think he tried really hard with AC/DC, but by the end of it he was both very tired because it's a much more intense set to sing and he was getting comfortable. He was still good but his voice was breaking hitting those really high notes in Hells bells and Shoot to thrill.

To me, judging by the Europe leg and then the US run, he never had any voice cracks in Europe, then in the US towards the end his voice would start cracking on higher notes. It never did that prior. I could be wrong but I think the wear of singing those gnarly AC/DC songs ripped what he had left apart. Ever since a lot of times when he tries to rasp you’ll hear voice cracks.

5 minutes ago, Gimpy Hewitt said:

To me, judging by the Europe leg and then the US run, he never had any voice cracks in Europe, then in the US towards the end his voice would start cracking on higher notes. It never did that prior. I could be wrong but I think the wear of singing those gnarly AC/DC songs ripped what he had left apart. Ever since a lot of times when he tries to rasp you’ll hear voice cracks.

It's very possible, I would be a bit surprised because he was working with a voice coach at the time to make sure he didn't damage anything. 

It sounded to me like he was putting everything into the songs at first, and really he was pushing his limits trying to sing that way every night. Brian era AC/DC isn't really a comfortable place to be singing, even for a singer like Axl. AC/DC also tuned to standard for Axls run, compared to Eb when Brian was with them for that tour. I think Axl would have been more comfortable singing some of those songs a half step down. I still watch those gigs and can't believe how well he did, but by the end it just sounded sore. 

I don't know for sure either though, we should try and get a vocal coach to react and explain this, because I'd love to know a pro singers opinion on it!

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Joraz said:

Sounds just fine. 

3 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Hard School could probably be passable. Maybe like Shadow or Jungle vocals on the high parts, low Better voice on some.

Atlas would entirely be Mickey.

The only song Axl could kind of completely do live from these unreleased CD tracks would be Nothing 

I think he'd be fine on parts of each song, but Mickey would show up, so would fire breathing rasp Axl; It's just how much of each is the question and I think it's more Mickey.

I hope IF the new songs are CD era (Which is clear that at least some are), that he goes back and re-records the vocals. He's going to struggle if he has to sing a song like state of grace, night after night, he has to say "yes, I love those takes, but that was my voice 20 years ago, what can I do now though that I can perform live". The new album is serving as a vehicle for more shows, so he should be thinking of performing these and not painting himself into a corner with crazy vocals that can't be recreated.

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

He has zero accountability in GNR and that's why. 

In ACDC, Angus and their fans would've lost their shit if he didn't try. In GNR, he's surrounded by yes men up to and including Slash & Duff. On top of that, people have shown worldwide that they'll pay Axl for the bare minimum effort. 

So... Zero accountability is the answer to why he doesn't try with GNR. 

i think this is not the whole truth..
while I'm sure that he really tried all he could to sound the best the could for ACDC (and probably doesn't always give 110% for GNR), ACDC songs just suit Axl's voice better than GNR songs these days.. his mid range is completely gone and most of the GNR stuff is around there..
his high and especially his low range are still good, which is why he sounded so good on most ACDC songs (especially the BJ ones) and still sounds good on SOYL, ISE, CD, DTJ and all the low/high range songs..
even with ACDC his mid range wasn't that great i.e on Dirty Deeds, TNT or Touch Too Much.. it seems like he can't produce rasp on his mid range the way he used to, which is why he Mickeys his way through a good part of the GNR set, and the 2nd ACDC leg probably did some damage to his upper range as well

which brings me to the point, that I don't want to hear any "new" songs that were written 20 years ago, because they simply won't suit Axls voice.. Hardschool chorus could be okay if he does it SOYL-style, but the verses and Atlas are all in mid range and it would be a Mickey fest.. I hope that if they do a new record, it will be songs that suit Axl's voice, and that the setlist will be reworked as well.. NITL was a greatest hits tour, where they had to play certain songs to please the casual concert-goers.. when NITL is over and they have enough cash to live the rest of their lives, I hope they do a set without some of the hits that Axl sounds bad on, and with more deep cuts, that he could actually sing...

• Like 1