How would Atlas and Hard School sound with Axl's voice now?

1 hour ago, Gimpy Hewitt said:

To me, judging by the Europe leg and then the US run, he never had any voice cracks in Europe, then in the US towards the end his voice would start cracking on higher notes. It never did that prior. I could be wrong but I think the wear of singing those gnarly AC/DC songs ripped what he had left apart. Ever since a lot of times when he tries to rasp you’ll hear voice cracks.

I do believe that the AC/DC tour damaged his voice, especially the ability to reach higher notes. His voice never cracked so much in the past, he could reach high pitch screams in Better, This I Love, Out Ta Get Me, Paradise City, well, pretty much all the catalogue. But with songs like Back in Black, Thunderstruck, Shoot to Thrill, For Those About to Rock, i believe he went to far. You could hear his voice deteriorating as the tour went on.

By the end of the ACDC tour, things were never the same. He tried and tried, but it became impossible, every high note is on the verge of crack, so he had to resort on falsetto, or some mix/microphone shenenigan to cover his screams. 

People just have to accept that it's not a matter of effort, the guy is singing his ass off nowadays. Yes, he could sound better adjusting some songs, choosing a lower register. But some of the crazy high notes are just not there anymore. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bozo said:

I do believe that the AC/DC tour damaged his voice, especially the ability to reach higher notes. His voice never cracked so much in the past, he could reach high pitch screams in Better, This I Love, Out Ta Get Me, Paradise City, well, pretty much all the catalogue. But with songs like Back in Black, Thunderstruck, Shoot to Thrill, For Those About to Rock, i believe he went to far. You could hear his voice deteriorating as the tour went on.

By the end of the ACDC tour, things were never the same. He tried and tried, but it became impossible, every high note is on the verge of crack, so he had to resort on falsetto, or some mix/microphone shenenigan to cover his screams. 

People just have to accept that it's not a matter of effort, the guy is singing his ass off nowadays. Yes, he could sound better adjusting some songs, choosing a lower register. But some of the crazy high notes are just not there anymore. 

Wrong. Listen to Shadow, Jungle and Nightrain 

Edited by Gibsonfender2323

8 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Wrong. Listen to Shadow, Jungle and Nightrain 

Dude, i'm talking about high notes. In this songs there are SOME higher notes, but if u listen carefully there are some kind of "Echo/Effects" that are layered to Axl voice that are helping to hide the cracks there appear in these short moments. This NEVER happened before.

But there's no way to cover the damage in his voice in songs there are FULL of high notes, like This I Love, Out Ta Get Me, My Michelle, Prostitute. Guess what, these are songs that they dropped out of setlist.

Being able to "scream" a high note it's not the same to "sing" a high note. You need the ability to control your voice, and Axl seems to have lost that, at least in this higher registers. In the low zone, like in The Seeker, he's capable of singing in tune just fine.  

12 minutes ago, Bozo said:

Dude, i'm talking about high notes. In this songs there are SOME higher notes, but if u listen carefully there are some kind of "Echo/Effects" that are layered to Axl voice that are helping to hide the cracks there appear in these short moments. This NEVER happened before.

But there's no way to cover the damage in his voice in songs there are FULL of high notes, like This I Love, Out Ta Get Me, My Michelle, Prostitute. Guess what, these are songs that they dropped out of setlist.

Being able to "scream" a high note it's not the same to "sing" a high note. You need the ability to control your voice, and Axl seems to have lost that, at least in this higher registers. In the low zone, like in The Seeker, he's capable of singing in tune just fine.  

They dropped them from the setlists because they wanted to. His voice has been cracking for the past 15 years He always has used echo effects,Thats the way the stadium is set up. He used the same vocal couch as Miles kennedy for AC/DC. If he actually did damage to his voice. He wouldn't be singing at all.  Damage to your vocal chords is what Jon Bon Jovi Did.  Robert Plant has to tune his songs all the way down. GNR still plays the songs like the record. If he did do damage to his chords he would NOT be singing right now. He has been sounding alot better on YCBM lately. that song has alot of high Notes 

From the China Exchange.

"I do a lot of vocal exercises and actually on this particular tour I brought my voice coach out with-  that I hadn't worked with in like twenty years. The Brian Johnson Back in Black stuff is really demanding, you know, sing it wrong and you might not be singing again. So…"

Edited by Gibsonfender2323
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Bozo said:

Nah, I have heard him pull off Out ta get me, almost just as good as he did in 90s and this was in 2017 a year after the AC/DC run. 

I'm not saying singing like that, they way he did is good for your voice, but he isn't a fool. He realises that he needs top be able to sing to make money. He may be proud and maybe a bit crazy but he wasn't going to risk the rest of his career on one tour with AC/DC. His vocal troubles are down to preparation, and technique issues. The guy can still hit really high notes, outro of SCOM etc. In fact the majority of GNRs set is filled with Axl screaming and he manages. Also, screaming a high note with pitch and accuracy is still singing, just like singing with a clean vocal. And, every vocalist singing live uses delays, reverbs, compression etc. This isn't some Axl trick to mask bad singing.

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

The same as it is!

When are people going to understand that Axl chooses to sing like that (minimum rasp) in order to endure a 3 hour daily set?

Did you watch the AC/DC shows on YouTube? All 1h30 and Axl sings with a full on rasp!

So, aswering your question: on the record he will sound as good as old Axl, maybe mixing both styles as he did on ChiDem just not to sound too different live.

Edited by Legendador
  • Like 1

Itll sound like shit. CITR doesnt even have rasp except for one line in the outro (and even that is minimal), only a nice clean voice. Axl still manages to sound like shit on it live. Same with Prostitute. Ontop of that,  he always cuts the words off short, or speed up the phrase. The phrasing is key, even if he uses distortion behind his voice

That being said, I would love to be proven wrong (by Axl). Ill still get excited seeing the songs being played though

Edited by Mendez

9 hours ago, zombux said:

and what would be the actual point of bringing back some 20 years old songs everybody forgot and even nobody of the band gives a shit? besides trying to monetize everything possible, while admitting own creative death.

The reason to bring back Hard School in particular is that its a song included as one of the alts on this leg meaning it has been considered

• 1 month later...
On 17.10.2019 at 10:29 PM, Blackstar said:

Hopefully Hardschool has been rearranged so that (among other things) there is some space between the verses and the chorus, which would make it sound better and easier for Axl to sing live.

If I was them I would try this: After the verses let Slash play a few seconds of lead guitar licks, Locomotive style, so to speak. Then go all in on the chorus vocally.

Would make the song more organic, Axl gets his breathing time and Slash gets extra noodle time, which he seems to enjoy so much. :D

• Like 1

On 10/17/2019 at 9:13 AM, Antonio said:

he had to prove why he deserved to be in ACDC, so he used all the voice he had, which apparently doesn't happen in GNR , but you can see that his voice is very tired too

IMO, he acts the "frontman" in GNR which he is.  He runs around, changses clothes, and goofs around.  This causes him to be more winded etc.  I attended an AC/DC concert and he did sound great.  But i noticed he let the band be the "feature", and he just sort of stayed back and sang, which was the professional thing to do no doubt.  

I'd like to say that he could pull it off. But it'll depend on the moment. Axl's rasp is inconsistent. As people have been pointing out, his voice cracks a lot more than it used to.

Pretty much every song could be hit or miss nowadays. It's not that he has good nights where he sounds steady and strong, he has some good moments where the old Axl comes back for a few minutes every now and then.

And that's something people have to deal with. He's also getting older.

Axl ain't no Benjamin Button.

On 10/17/2019 at 2:41 PM, Stiff Competition said:

Bad songs sound bad regardless.

its comments like this that make any chance of a new album fall short of expectations.  I lob Atlas shrug and realize its ONLY a leaked demo.  What exactly makes it a "bad song"?  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fabrph5 said:

its comments like this that make any chance of a new album fall short of expectations.  I lob Atlas shrug and realize its ONLY a leaked demo.  What exactly makes it a "bad song"?  

It goes nowhere, has no strong/ memorable parts, no great melodies and is overall boring?

On 10/17/2019 at 7:08 AM, betterman said:

We will see in a couple of months. He has laid down new vocal tracks to these songs according to "people"

I haven't been on here in a bit. Where is this info coming from. I know you put "people" in quotes, but who exactly was saying this? Randos on this forum?