How would Atlas and Hard School sound with Axl's voice now?

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

I thought he moved a lot at the Detroit 2016 show in particular and still sounded good. I dont fault his effort that year. Sure, it was for money, but there was still motivation for playing well.

The tour dragged on years too long and they all got tired and complacent. No band needs to tour almost 4 years nonstop. Ending with LA 2017 and then coming back with new songs was what should have happened

Did you miss their "brand new single" Shadow Of You Love? It's only logical they would promote that single with another 3 years of touring. :awesomeface:

Seriously tho, I agree with you. They were already sounding tired when I saw them in 2017, and they've only gone downhill since then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Did you miss their "brand new single" Shadow Of You Love? It's only logical they would promote that single with another 3 years of touring. :awesomeface:

Seriously tho, I agree with you. They were already sounding tired when I saw them in 2017, and they've only gone downhill since then.

The 2017 show I saw was by no means a bad show. They played like 3 and a half hours and sounded good. It just wasn't as energetic and Axl wasn't as good as the 4 times I saw them in 2016 (3 times GNR 1 time ACDC). It helped I was up front and the reunion was fresh in 16 too.

My friend whos first time seeing GNR came with me and he liked the show. He came with me to Axl/DC the year before and liked both shows about equally. He is a casual and didn't realize Axls  voice declined a lot. 

Either way, i dont know what my point is... that was 2 fucking years ago. What the fuck 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

The 2017 show I saw was by no means a bad show. They played like 3 and a half hours and sounded good. It just wasn't as energetic and Axl wasn't as good as the 4 times I saw them in 2016 (3 times GNR 1 time ACDC). It helped I was up front and the reunion was fresh in 16 too.

My friend whos first time seeing GNR came with me and he liked the show. He came with me to Axl/DC the year before and liked both shows about equally. He is a casual and didn't realize Axls  voice declined a lot. 

Either way, i dont know what my point is... that was 2 fucking years ago. What the fuck 

The 2017 shows I saw weren't bad but they really made me realize how drawn out and bloated the set was. To be fair, the stadium in Vancouver has notoriously shitty sound, but there were times I wondered why the band even bothered playing certain songs. Axl botched TIL, and sounded pretty brutal during songs like Better, Yesterdays, Nov Rain, etc.

The best songs of the show were the covers (I Feel Good and Wichita Lineman). It's pretty obvious that Axl couldn't give less of a fuck about singing the old songs for the billionth time. He still sounds good on a handful of songs but he's mostly been coasting since 2017.

After not having heard Atlas and Perhaps in about a month or so, I recently listened to them again with fresh ears not biased to the sheer excitement of hearing new GnR leaks for the first time, and I see now why these songs didn’t make the cut.

those “ohhhh” noises Axl makes in between the verse lines of Atlas kinda screw with the melody of that song. Same can also be said for Perhaps, and the “hey heyyyy” noises he does between the verse lines of that song. Both tracks have a lot of potential, but those vocal noises, or whatever I’m supposed to call them, need to go.

hopefully, if either song is played live someday, those parts will be omitted.

EDIT: I just thought of something; maybe those vocal noises on both songs can just be replaced with some simple guitar bends. Thoughts?

EDIT 2: atlas especially could use a more “sparse” approach with less keyboards and less early 2000s textures, as those sound pretty dated now. The song should just start with just the acoustic guitar, and then build up from there. The drums and heavy power chords would “pop” more that way. A singular raspy vocal take would do the song some justice too (assuming Axl can still pull that off). Also, as much as I love Brian May, I feel like Slash can pull off a superior solo, if given the chance.

Edited by rocknroll41

10 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

Can you elaborate on what was said by them? Axl recorded vocals in a studio or specifically re-recorded vocals for "Atlas Shrugged"?

They said that the new album is already done and Axl layd down new vocals for it in 2019. So the question is, when/how to release it.

10 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

less early 2000s textures, as those sound pretty dated now.

shit, lol, that's what I love about this song; that it completely takes me back to that time period.  it's the same reason why i love synthwave music.  the only difference is that Atlas was likely recorded during that time period (early 2000s) whereas most synthwave has only been made within the last 6/7 years, largely (if you're unfamiliar with what synthwave is, it's just retro/throwback mainly keyboard-based music that sounds identical to 80s music.  "retrogenesis" by perturbator, look it up. a fine example)

• Like 1