STONED in L.A. Anniversary

In honor of the 30th Anniversary of GnR's '89 shows here's their first warm-up show where Axl infamously addressed the One in a Million controversy & the band's drug use ... 

I never knew there was a recording of this !!! 

I also learned that Axl had to be arrested and transported to the show LOL 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, 2020_Intensions said:

In honor of the 30th Anniversary of GnR's '89 shows here's their first warm-up show where Axl infamously addressed the One in a Million controversy & the band's drug use ... 

Yeah, I didn't know about the putting Axl in cuffs and transporting him in a cop car until recently. I don't think he was actually arrested though.  Anyway, who would've thought that both of these bands would be going strong 30 years later. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Had to be arrested? Tell me more! And in which part did he say that?

Good article with further details. Including about the police delivering Axl to the gig.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/guns-n-roses-rolling-stones/

I didnt know some of this (as long as the article is accurate). Living Colour was on before Guns:

"Living Colour, had delivered a passionate onstage lecture, clearly in response to the “One in a Million” controversy. Guitarist Vernon Reid spoke about the evils of racism, while also criticizing anyone who justified hate speech. The audience gave the Living Colour member a standing ovation. Meanwhile, Rose was once again fuming."

Apparently this event proceeded Axls Brownstone rant:

Then, in a Spinal Tap style moment, Rose fell off the stage and into the photographer’s pit. The singer had been blinded by spotlights and was clearly disoriented by his surroundings. Two security guards helped the frontman back to his feet. With embarrassment now mixed with his rage, Rose launched into another diatribe.

During the following set by the Stones Jagger said:

Later that night, the Rolling Stones would deliver a masterful headlining set, powering through many of the band’s vaunted hits. At one point, singer Mick Jagger paused and commented on their opening act. “I think Axl did a good show,” he said, seemingly tongue-in-cheek, “but I wish he’d just shut up and play.”

Is this where the Sorry lyric comes from?!?! - "you now where to put your just shut up and sing" ??

Edited by soon
  • Like 2

And people still call Axl an asshole. He was not mentally stable, had this huge pressure due to all the fame, had to deal with their severe addiction and couldn't reach to them. His douchery actually saved their lives. Otherwise we have to lament their loss like Keith Moon, John Bonham or Steve Clarke.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, soon said:

Good article with further details. Including about the police delivering Axl to the gig.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/guns-n-roses-rolling-stones/

I didnt know some of this (as long as the article is accurate). Living Colour was on before Guns:

"Living Colour, had delivered a passionate onstage lecture, clearly in response to the “One in a Million” controversy. Guitarist Vernon Reid spoke about the evils of racism, while also criticizing anyone who justified hate speech. The audience gave the Living Colour member a standing ovation. Meanwhile, Rose was once again fuming."

Then, in a Spinal Tap style moment, Rose fell off the stage and into the photographer’s pit. The singer had been blinded by spotlights and was clearly disoriented by his surroundings. Two security guards helped the frontman back to his feet. With embarrassment now mixed with his rage, Rose launched into another diatribe.

During the following set by the Stones Jagger said:

Later that night, the Rolling Stones would deliver a masterful headlining set, powering through many of the band’s vaunted hits. At one point, singer Mick Jagger paused and commented on their opening act. “I think Axl did a good show,” he said, seemingly tongue-in-cheek, “but I wish he’d just shut up and play.”

Is this where the Sorry lyric comes from?!?! - "you now where to put your just shut up and sing" ??

I believe that Sorry line was from what Slash said to Axl about the '94/'95 album 

35 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I believe that Sorry line was from what Slash said to Axl about the '94/'95 album 

The Sorry line doesn't represent exactly what Slash (allegedly - according to Axl) had told Axl about the '94 album.

On the other hand, the exact line "shut up and sing" was something Axl often heard or read in reviews, especially during the UYI tour.

2 hours ago, Zinia_29 said:

His douchery actually saved their lives. 

It did? Slash did get sober until the 2000's.. Duff the mid 90's because his pancreas exploded.. Steven not until the last decade.. Not when Izzy did but I don't recall him ever crediting Axl...

4 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

It did? Slash did get sober until the 2000's.. Duff the mid 90's because his pancreas exploded.. Steven not until the last decade.. Not when Izzy did but I don't recall him ever crediting Axl...

There are reasons to think Slash was supposed to be sober before the Rolling Stones shows in October '89. After the shows he went to Phoenix for detox, but ironically brought coke with him and had one of his ugliest eposides as strung out. One he would look back at with horror in years to come. When returning to LA after Phoenix, he was met with an intervention (with Steven, Ola, Niven, Duff...) and then sent off to rehab "against his will" which he quit after three days. He then decided to clean up on his own, at Hawaii. This likely happened in late '89 or early '90. From then on, he was semi-sober.

I think it is reasonable to think that Axl's speech added to his decision to clean up, but of course wasn't the only reason.

Izzy's journey at becoming sober started earlier in '89, in Lafayette. Then came his peeing incident up in the air (August '89) which added a strong legal motivation to get his act together. So when he played with RS he was likely more or less already clean, although he would still drink (incidentally, he had his last drink in the company of his RS buddies somewhat later in '90). 

In contrast to Slash, Izzy seems to have been successful in quitting altogether with no known relapses. Slash would continue to drink and snort and have the occasional relapses to harder drugs (like his famous death in San Francisco in '92).

More here: http://www.a-4-d.com/t4046p120-the-history-in-their-own-words#15984

• Like 1

I was at the show.  I remember talking about Axl's rant after the show, feeling like it was more of a threat than anything he would ever follow through with.   It made me perceive Axl as the only clean one in the band, outside of coke possibly, but not mr. brownstone.

As a young closet stoner, I bought the other T-shirt because I wasn't comfortable wearing something that said "Stoned" at that time.  :lol:

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I think the illusions  tour everyones habits escalated but i think during that time of the uyi tour  axl was emotionally  somewhere else. The camaraderie  was no more by this point.

Edited by Sydney Fan

1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

I think the illusions  tour everyones habits escalated

No, Izzy was sober and Slash had stopped shooting heroin (although with at least one relapse). Matt, Duff and Slash (and likely Gilby) did coke, though, and drank a lot. Duff tried repeatedly to stop or cut down on his drinking. Axl was sober and physically healthy. 

It was during the Appetite touring that the heroin use was bad, with Izzy, Slash and Steven being full-blown addicts. 

Edited by SoulMonster

12 hours ago, soon said:

The Classic Rock article has the order wrong here. As it can be seen in the video, Ax fell off the stage during Out Ta Get Me, which was after the "Mr. Brownstone" speech.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

No, Izzy was sober and Slash had stopped shooting heroin (although with at least one relapse). Matt, Duff and Slash (and likely Gilby) did coke, though, and drank a lot. Duff tried repeatedly to stop or cut down on his drinking. Axl was sober and physically healthy. 

It was during the Appetite touring that the heroin use was bad, with Izzy, Slash and Steven being full-blown addicts. 

Sorry soulmonster, i should have stated with the exception of izzy and axl, but the band in terms of a " unit" it seemed to be disintegrating more during illusions than the AFD era. During the illusions it seemed to be gilby, duff, matt, slash in one corner and axl in the other.

54 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Sorry soulmonster, i should have stated with the exception of izzy and axl, but the band in terms of a " unit" it seemed to be disintegrating more during illusions than the AFD era. During the illusions it seemed to be gilby, duff, matt, slash in one corner and axl in the other.

Yes, the divide between Axl and the others became a large gulch in this period, and just continued afterwards when they returned to LA in '93. But of course as they set out on the UTI tour in May '91, the band was already falling apart. Steven had been fired, Izzy was staying to himself. 

• Like 1

I saw the Stones with Living Colour opening  Sept. 1989 in St. Louis, MO.  Busch Stadium.  Great show by the way.  All summer I was hoping that GnR would open up at some point. Didn't happen here, but it happened a few weeks later in LA.