Live Era '16 - '20

Just now, UseYourDemocracyIII said:

Rest of the world might feel a little bit left out. Also, Locomotive would be gone and a few others I imagine.

Houston 2016 version of Coma >>>> any other NITL performance of Coma or Locomotive. And it's not like they need 5 songs on a live album that would take up almost an hour. (Coma, Estranged, Nov Rain and KOHD are enough 'epics' for a live album...)

Who cares if fans in the rest of the world feel 'left out'? :lol:
I wasn't at any of the shows they've played in Texas, but if they were to release a live album, it's better to take songs from a few consistently good shows instead of trying to showcase the whole tour, IMO. At most, they could compile an album from the first US 2016 stadium run. I honestly couldn't care less if Slither, Shadow, Madagascar or whatever else they've added since 2017 isn't included on a live album.

27 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Houston 2016 version of Coma >>>> any other NITL performance of Coma or Locomotive. And it's not like they need 5 songs on a live album that would take up almost an hour. (Coma, Estranged, Nov Rain and KOHD are enough 'epics' for a live album...)

Who cares if fans in the rest of the world feel 'left out'? :lol:
I wasn't at any of the shows they've played in Texas, but if they were to release a live album, it's better to take songs from a few consistently good shows instead of trying to showcase the whole tour, IMO. At most, they could compile an album from the first US 2016 stadium run. I honestly couldn't care less if Slither, Shadow, Madagascar or whatever else they've added since 2017 isn't included on a live album.

I think that your suggestion would be better suited to a Blu-ray release rather than a live album. Live Era is all about what was achieved over time :lol:

14 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Would be a shame to not have Shadow and Locomotive on there though. I would also love to have Out ta Get me and My Michelle with Steven on it.. Probably in the minority but I wouldn't mind Wichita Lineman on there either.

You can't say the WL word around here!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Would be a shame to not have Shadow and Locomotive on there though. I would also love to have Out ta Get me and My Michelle with Steven on it.. Probably in the minority but I wouldn't mind Wichita Lineman on there either.

Wichita Lineman is a highlight of the current set, and Shadow and Locomotive would be cool, but they'd be kind of unnecessary on a live album. Maybe included as bonus tracks or something (like Coma on Live Era '87-93), but they should cut as much fat as possible from a live release... cut it down to 2 discs and basically have it be the 2016 setlist without the jams and solos. OTGM, My Michelle and 2016 Coma > Shadow, Slither and Locomotive, IMO. :axl:

26 minutes ago, UseYourDemocracyIII said:

I think that your suggestion would be better suited to a Blu-ray release rather than a live album. Live Era is all about what was achieved over time :lol:

True... but Axl hasn't sounded too good for a lot of shows on the tour, so it's kind of better to have a 'snapshot' instead of a very inconsistent sounding album.

Edited by Gordon Comstock

I was at the Texas shows and I agree you could make a compelling Blu Ray or CD out of those. But I got bored and watched the entire DC show from 2016..it was amazing 

(delete this if YouTube links are bad) 

but it’s crazy the DC was probably considered mediocre for 2016 and yet watching it now shows how incredible those shows were. No boots for Axl!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

I was at the Texas shows and I agree you could make a compelling Blu Ray or CD out of those. But I got bored and watched the entire DC show from 2016..it was amazing 

(delete this if YouTube links are bad) 

but it’s crazy the DC was probably considered mediocre for 2016 and yet watching it now shows how incredible those shows were. No boots for Axl!

This is a really good show, watching it now.

1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

This is a really good show, watching it now.

Yeah wow I never saw this show! Axl is super consistent and sounds pretty fantastic for modern Axl. Busting tons of moves and never out of breath. Crowd is great... didn’t seem like there were any flow killing CD deep cuts...YCBM is raspy... band seems to be vibing (that Better intro thing is cool for that, even if I don’t like that actual song haha)... its the whole package.

Seems to standout compared to the NITL shows I’ve seen!

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ant said:

Yeah wow I never saw this show! Axl is super consistent and sounds pretty fantastic for modern Axl. Busting tons of moves and never out of breath. Crowd is great... didn’t seem like there were any flow killing CD deep cuts...YCBM is raspy... band seems to be vibing (that Better intro thing is cool for that, even if I don’t like that actual song haha)... its the whole package.

Seems to standout compared to the NITL shows I’ve seen!

I think it’s the fact that they moved Better towards the end of the show. I’m not a fan of it playing in the first hour. That first leg they were killing it on flow for that first hour, now it feels like there’s too many moments that take you out of it! And really cool to see Axl in a flannel haha 

Edited by IncitingChaos

30 minutes ago, F*ck Fear said:

How about live in 2016 instead?

There are not enough solid vocal performances (in my opinion) to make a new 'Live Era' using anything fron 2017 onwards.

Madagascar, Locomotive, Shadow, Slither.

24 minutes ago, Tyler Drama said:

I don't really see how this would "tide us over". It's tedious hearing the same songs released again and again, just in a different way.

I personally have a 'live version' addiction. I have about 7 different versions of WTTJ saved on my phone, cause I love the minor differences between them all. But hey, that's just me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UseYourDemocracyIII said:

I personally have a 'live version' addiction. I have about 7 different versions of WTTJ saved on my phone, cause I love the minor differences between them all. But hey, that's just me.

Same here. GNR especially always seem to have semantical differences in their live versions of all songs that make them all great to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UseYourDemocracyIII said:

Madagascar, Locomotive, Shadow, Slither.

To me, he does not sound good on those songs.

Wichita Lineman from 2017 was decent.

I don’t know why people want a short live release. I want as many songs as they can fucking fit on there. Every song they played on the tour and the best version of that song. Include all the CD songs (Catcher, Madagascar, Sorry, TWAT, Prostitute) Locomotive, Shadow, WL, the AC/DC covers, fuck even the one time they played Nice Boys. I know most of the songs were on the Forum gig in ‘17 but I want the best versions of the songs. One live album so far is pitiful for a rock band that kills it so often live. If you look throughout their career, Dream Theater has released a live album after every couple studio albums. The setlist for the live albums were completely different too so you could hear songs you hadn’t heard before live, and that’s not even mentioning the “bootlegs” Portnoy released. That is how you treat your fans right with live material and I wish GNR would do something similar.

• Like 1