Axl Rose #64 on Rolling Stone's Top 100 Singers List

5 hours ago, Gunsdrummer63 said:

I've seen a lot of people defending him but also saying how the list lacks female singers. But Whitney Houston should be in the top 10 and mick jagger in the top 10 is laughable. Axl should be top 20. How is he worse then bono? Bono doesn't really come close to the range Axl has (had). 

Also funny to think that this list came out 10 years ago and CD was a year old and slash and axl being on stage together again was laughable. the RNR HOF debacle had yet to occur as well.

Nothing to do with range. It's about politics, that's what these lists are always about. 

I couldn't care less for RS's 100 greatest singers, I'll make my own mind up. Personally Axl goes higher on MY list, but in general that he makes it to #64 in 2008 (or even now), in stead of some of the other great singers (not listed) is far from a slight. 

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Cannot really fault this list too much except I'd have James Brown at number one, Presley at 2, Little Richard at 3 and the blues guys (Howlin', Muddy and Hooker) all higher. I don't see Diana Ross anywhere either?

I don’t think the rank position is important to this list. That’s just for fun. The list is more about recognition of great voices and influential artists in recording history. Out of the 100, maybe only 11 of these singers are rock and only Axl Rose and Steven Tyler are hard rock. Axl is recognized as one of the greatest singers of all time and possibly the best in hard rock.  To me that’s important, not his ranking. I know you are knowledgeable about music, could you tell me who the fuck number 97. is in music?

10 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I don’t think the rank position is important to this list. That’s just for fun. The list is more about recognition of great voices and influential artists in recording history. Out of the 100, maybe only 11 of these singers are rock and only Axl Rose and Steven Tyler are hard rock. Axl is recognized as one of the greatest singers of all time and possibly the best in hard rock.  To me that’s important, not his ranking. I know you are knowledgeable about music, could you tell me who the fuck number 97. is in music?

Joe Cocker 

Ridiculous. This is maybe about popularity in certain circles but definitely not much about singing. Any list concerning singing where Kobain is before Axl is bullshit. The other day I saw a list of guitarists where Kurt was actually before Angus. Yeah, right... 

10 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Regardless of criteria etc if anyone says Cobain was a better singer than Axl then they are talking complete and utter shite. 

That's not true! If the criteria is who has the most cynical sadness in his voice, then Kurt Cobain would be a strong contender for the number one spot and Axl would be pretty low on that list.

When you ignore technical skill on your list, like they did on this list, you should have some other clear criterias that you are measuring. Otherwise the list is too subjective and pointless. That's the problem with this list. It doesn't have any clear measurable criterias, so it's just a subjective list of some peoples favorite singers. 

I've seen that list before, trying to be objective:

Steven Tyler #99? That's a joke. He should be top 20 at least. Axl should be top 30. Michael Jackson should be top 10.

No Meat Loaf? No Michael Bolton? Not even in the last spots? 

Biggest joke is no George Michael. He'd be top 20 for sure.

The lack of female singers is also questionable.