Axl Rose #64 on Rolling Stone's Top 100 Singers List

Neil Young beats out Mariah Fucking Carrey? Ooh baby, I don't think so. (My bad: Mariah F***ing Carrey).

And Axls position should only be that low if the list were made today - Last they'd heard when they wrote this was the amazing 2006-07 run where Axl was on fire!!

13 hours ago, Creed said:

No SIA, no Bon Scott, no Pink, no Amy Winehouse...just to mention a few. Bullshit list. 

This list is so old that SIA only had her first gold album released that year.

Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye and Otis Redding are the three best voices in 20th Century popular music history.  After that I'd chuck Elvis in there for sheer fuckin'...I can't even think of the word here, for kinda inventing pop music and making it the phenomena it ended up being, John Rotten in there for originality and visceral power and changing the parameters, James Brown has to be in there too...Mick Jagger, John Lennon, Bob Dylan...hmm, who else?  Frank Sinatra maybe.  Thats ten.  I'd have to do a seperate one for birds.

4 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

That's not true! If the criteria is who has the most cynical sadness in his voice, then Kurt Cobain would be a strong contender for the number one spot and Axl would be pretty low on that list.

When you ignore technical skill on your list, like they did on this list, you should have some other clear criterias that you are measuring. Otherwise the list is too subjective and pointless. That's the problem with this list. It doesn't have any clear measurable criterias, so it's just a subjective list of some peoples favorite singers. 

I get your point and should probably caveat that I’m not a fan at all of Nirvana and like only a couple of songs. AIC and Soundgarden were IMO a couple of levels above. If I would take ‘the whole package’ into consideration - actual voice, range, stage presence, songwriting etc Axl beats Cobain hands down.

Good to debate though!

16 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

In my top 100 worst lists of all time, this one is pretty high.

I believe this list would be pretty different now after those Queen and Elton John movies.

Probably. But it’s just a list with very subjective criteria, the writer is not only considering technique or range, whatever. People get so invested, that’s why they do it. And it’s even funnier when you think it’s a 10 year old list, Twitter is just amazing. Axl is probably checking his increased number of mentions like “oh no, someone killed me...again” 🤣

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, UcudBmine said:

HAHA I completely missed that. Dude seemed to be dead serious about it as well. Michael Bolton :lol::lol:

His music might not be everybodies cup of tea (tbh, it isn't mine either) but his voice is one of a kind. If somebody like Mick Jagger (who mainly just speaks instead of sings) makes that list, so should Bolton.

Axl could be top 10 just based on potential alone, but when you take into consideration what his career actually turned into, he falls short of such a high spot like that. Axl didn’t have good technique at all and was blasting along on the merit and power of his voice. His voice is dynamic like Mercury’s, but he never showed the same level of control. Granted his reckless abandon on the stage helped transform him into one of the greatest frontmen ever. But in terms of songs like Patience, Don’t Cry demo, November Rain, Estranged, He definitely has to make the top 100. 

3 hours ago, UcudBmine said:

Of all the singers people are missing I never expected someone on a GN'R forum to be asking for Cher :lol:

Well. We also have people saying that AC/DC make noise and that punk is just yelling. We are a diverse (and strange) bunch. ;) But Cher definitely belongs on the Top 100 singer list. 73 and still brings it.

3 hours ago, Ratam said:

I remember Axl one time wear an Cher shirt.

Yeah. And Slash's (who apparently hates Cher) girlfriend is best friends with Cher's best friend. And when I told that friend that I'm a big GNR fan she told me that one of her best friends is Slash's girlfriend, which is funny, because I found her IG, due to Meegan mentioning her. It's all connected.

If we are discussing rock and popular music which we seem to be doing, James Brown is the greatest of them all: he is the greatest singer, frontman and an exceptional songwriter also. The guy could sing like Little Richard combined with Otis Redding but could out-dance Michael Jackson. He could sing soul, rhythm and blues, rock n' roll, pop. He invented a new form of music (funk) - how many people invent a new musical style? 

• Like 2