Axl Rose #64 on Rolling Stone's Top 100 Singers List

I so loathe 'lists' such as these. Honestly, there's really no rhyme or reason other than to create controversy.

I mean, they seriously could have pulled each name out of a hat lottery style. Who would know? I actually would bet on they did just that.

Not only is it completely subjective and open to personal taste in music style, it can never be justified or proven.

Lastly, you know it's a bogus, not well-thought out list when Whitney Houston is as low as she is. Whether you like the style of music or not, I believe it to be true the majority of music fans around the world would have her in the top 10, probably top 5 of all-time. I sure know I would. Same with Barbra Streisand, who I don't even see on the list. And do opera singers such as Luciano Pavarotti somehow not qualify?? I mean, I didn't see a genre specified.

Even when they do 'genre' specific singer or guitarist lists, they typically aren't well thought out, reasoned or justified. It's more like "HERE YOU GO! REACT!!!!".

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

Bob Dylan should never see a “greatest singers” list. 

Exactly. Many of the names they listed aren't really singers as much as they just have unique 'voices' and delivery.

If the list was titled 'Top 100 Voices and/or performers', their list would make a bit more sense, but still be quite whack.

For example, I'd say John Lennon, Bob Dylan, James Brown, Johnny Cash, David Bowie, Cobain -- just to name a few -- fall into the unique voices and delivery category. They aren't classic singers with wide ranges a la Aretha, Freddie, Whitney or even Steve Perry.

To me, once they categorize the list as 'singers' and not 'voices' or 'performers', that would invalidate a good deal of their list.

Someone like say Judy Garland completely blows away 75% of their list and she's nowhere to be found.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, thunderram said:

For example, I'd say John Lennon, Bob Dylan, James Brown, Johnny Cash, David Bowie, Cobain -- just to name a few -- fall into the unique voices and delivery category. They aren't classic singers with wide ranges a la Aretha, Freddie, Whitney or even Steve Perry.

James Brown is an exceptional singer. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 5:58 PM, The Holographic Universe said:

Again, the rankings are not important. It’s about recognition. Out of the great rock bands to include hard rock, grunge/alternative/metal, only Axl and Steven Tyler made the cut. That’s significant considering the singers left out. However, I doubt any rock critic or journalist would place Steven Tyler above Axl Rose for a superior voice. Axl beats Steven in Musicianship, Stage Presence, Vocal abilities, Song Writing, and Artistic Integrity. Additionally, Aerosmith has some good to great albums, but none of their albums are in the pantheon of classic rock albums such as Zeppelin 4, Back in Black, Dark Side of the Moon, Metallica’s Black Album, and possibly Nevermind. 

Ever heard of a little album called “Rocks?” One of, if not THE greatest hard rock album of all time? The album that made Slash pick up a guitar?

I love Axl, but come on, even he wouldn’t place himself above Steven Tyler. Tyler is a freak of nature and a once in a generation talent.

On 10/26/2019 at 2:53 AM, The Real McCoy said:

Ever heard of a little album called “Rocks?” One of, if not THE greatest hard rock album of all time? The album that made Slash pick up a guitar?

I love Axl, but come on, even he wouldn’t place himself above Steven Tyler. Tyler is a freak of nature and a once in a generation talent.

I’m aware that album made Slash want to play guitar. But, no Rocks is not a classic album in the vein of it transcending the genre of rock. The albums I listed and AFD are that type of album. I love Steven Tyler, but please, Axl is superior in every way to Steven Tyler. 

32 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I’m aware that album made Slash want to play guitar. But, no Rocks is not a classic album in the vein of it transcending the genre of rock. The albums I listed and AFD are that type of album. I love Steven Tyler, but please, Axl is superior in every way to Steven Tyler. 

In terms of classic rock im leaning to think toys.....would be considered to in the echoleans of classic rock.