32 years ago: GNR performed live at the Ritz

In my opinion one of their better performances, much stronger than their famous performance there in Ferbruary 1988. Sad to see no one is talking about it, but I guess everyone might be a bit exhausted from the whole locker story.

I've also made something interesting related to it.

What do you think, which year did Guns sound best? 1987 all the way for me.

• Like 3

If you mean which of the Ritz concerts 87 or 88 is better, well..

88 will always be a favourite because the pro shot is so clear and the energy of the performance is amazing. I only wish the camera dude had focused a bit more on band members other than Axl from time to time. They are quite 'sloppy' in parts (Slash noticeably out of tune at the end part of RQ) but it doesn't detract overall.

The 87 concert is not as good to watch, but fuck, the audio is brilliant - for example, if you listen to the Michelle from it, you can hear the quality of sound is really close to the album version, you can hear Izzy clearly, and Axl effortlessly rasps his way throughout an energetic performance. Plus it's got Reckless Life and You're Crazy (fast)! 

Just now, Nice Boy said:

If you mean which of the Ritz concerts 87 or 88 is better, well..

88 will always be a favourite because the pro shot is so clear and the energy of the performance is amazing. I only wish the camera dude had focused a bit more on band members other than Axl from time to time. They are quite 'sloppy' in parts (Slash noticeably out of tune at the end part of RQ) but it doesn't detract overall.

The 87 concert is not as good to watch, but fuck, the audio is brilliant - for example, if you listen to the Michelle from it, you can hear the quality of sound is really close to the album version, you can hear Izzy clearly, and Axl effortlessly rasps his way throughout an energetic performance. Plus it's got Reckless Life and You're Crazy (fast)! 

yeah, the marquee is awesome (is or it´s ? hahaha)

‘87, for me is the lost year of GN’R live. We have such great performances like the Marquee and Ritz; it sounded effortless, like a gritty band that had been together for years. Really wish was more was released from around this time. I absolutely love Izzy during the Ritz show, I don’t think he gets near enough credit for his live playing. Honestly almost all of the early (‘86-‘89) live stuff just teases out how great this band was. Really wish we could find the first half of that Ritz tape

One thing that's nice with Ritz 87 is that Izzy is LOUD in the mix, you can hear him way better than in Ritz 88. Makes Rocket Queen sound way better. 

Thdre are a lot of very good 1987 performances. If you haven't listened to the one at Hammersmith Odeon, you should. 

I think there are video bootlegs of Ritz 1991, not sure though. 

14 hours ago, zigzagbigbag said:

1991. I love how they improvised the set list, played new songs for the first time and sounded very rough. They were still a „dangerous“ rock band and have not been fully turned into diva mode. 

I think the diva mode came 92

9 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

‘87, for me is the lost year of GN’R live. We have such great performances like the Marquee and Ritz; it sounded effortless, like a gritty band that had been together for years. Really wish was more was released from around this time. I absolutely love Izzy during the Ritz show, I don’t think he gets near enough credit for his live playing. Honestly almost all of the early (‘86-‘89) live stuff just teases out how great this band was. Really wish we could find the first half of that Ritz tape

I really wish there was footage of when they supported the crue in 87.