Live statistics original GnR and new GnR

20 hours ago, Legendador said:

This is such a great work!

But since WTTJ was played 921 times, can I assume it was played in every single GNR concert? And if that's the case, GNR is 79 shows away in order to complete 1000 (ONE THOUSAND) live performances?

WOW! Just WOW!!!

If 2012-2014 Circus counts, then yes.

21 hours ago, Legendador said:

This is such a great work!

But since WTTJ was played 921 times, can I assume it was played in every single GNR concert? And if that's the case, GNR is 79 shows away in order to complete 1000 (ONE THOUSAND) live performances?

WOW! Just WOW!!!

It wasn't played in every concert since it was debuted on their 12th show. But yeah, it has probably been played more or less on every show after that.

As for setlist.fm, I wouldn't take their setlists for gospel, especially for early shows. There seems to be a bit of guess-work going on.

1 hour ago, ©GnrPersia said:

If 2012-2014 Circus counts, then yes.

I always thought as 2002 and 2004 as the real circus period.

2012 to 2014 was Ashba ruining every single moment to me hahahah

2010 was a cool period tough.

52 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

It wasn't played in every concert since it was debuted on their 12th show. But yeah, it has probably been played more or less on every show after that.

As for setlist.fm, I wouldn't take their setlists for gospel, especially for early shows. There seems to be a bit of guess-work going on.

I think GNRonTour is a more reliable source for this.

2 minutes ago, username said:

Got any sources on that SM? I've checked gnrontour and setlists.fm, but I can't fand anything other than these two. 

That's a good question.

This song was played for the first time October 30, 1987, at an acoustic gig at the CBGB's, USA. It was later played at the Limelight, USA, on January 31, 1988, in Cleveland on May 5, 1988, and in Mears in July 30, 1988.

October 30, 1987  at the CBGBs: Known from live footage.

January 31, 1988, at the Limelight: Source is audio recording.

May 5, 1988, on Cleveland: Source was setlist.fm, but I see now that this has been changed.

July 30, 1988, in Mears: Testimony and personal communication, see here: http://www.a-4-d.com/t1637-1988-07-30-val-du-lakes-amphitheatre-mears-usa#5320

With the May 5, 1988 setlist being changed, I suppose we only know of three instances when it was played live. This also highlights a problem with setlist.fm.

10 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

With the May 5, 1988 setlist being changed, I suppose we only know of three instances when it was played live. This also highlights a problem with setlist.fm.

True. Same with You're Crazy acoustic. Some asshat took it off the setlist for 10-Feb-1988, but gnrontour has a link to a magazine clipping that quotes Axl on saying it was played. 

1 hour ago, username said:

True. Same with You're Crazy acoustic. Some asshat took it off the setlist for 10-Feb-1988, but gnrontour has a link to a magazine clipping that quotes Axl on saying it was played. 

Unfortunately, gnrontour has some mistakes, too. That being said, both gnrontour and setlist.fm are really, really great and although some mistakes may be found here and there, they are invaluable as sources. Kudos to whoever is behind gnrontour, lots of research work going into that site.

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Unfortunately, gnrontour has some mistakes, too. That being said, both gnrontour and setlist.fm are really, really great and although some mistakes may be found here and there, they are invaluable as sources. Kudos to whoever is behind gnrontour, lots of research work going into that site.

Agreed with everything. I just wish it was being kept up to date. ;) 

On 24/10/2019 at 8:49 AM, Blackstar said:

I guess that magazine was referring to the Skin N' Bones tour in 1993 (February 23 to July 17). One in a Million 100% wasn't played at any of those shows, though.

I found the book it was Over The Top the True Story of Guns N Roses by Mark Putterford, page 108 for those that have it.

The show he is referring to is the first show at Milton Keynes 29 May 03.

He says he was backstage at both shows and on the first night they played One In A Million and replaced it with Used To Love Her on the second night. He runs through the set list each night and I took a look at GnrOnTour and the set lists are identical aside from this point (and one song he didn’t mention on one of the nights that GnrOnTour has).

GNrOnTour says there is audio of the show so I assume someone out there has it and Used To Love her is correct and the author made a mistake, but it is certainly strange that someone so familiar with the band who was at the actual shows and writing a book would make such a mistake.

Any chance the song was cut from the audio ? 

8 hours ago, Euchre said:

I found the book it was Over The Top the True Story of Guns N Roses by Mark Putterford, page 108 for those that have it.

He says he was backstage at both shows and on the first night they played One In A Million and replaced it with Used To Love Her on the second night. He runs through the set list each night and I took a look at GnrOnTour and the set lists are identical aside from this point (and one song he didn’t mention on one of the nights that GnrOnTour has).

GNrOnTour says there is audio of the show so I assume someone out there has it and Used To Love her is correct and the author made a mistake, but it is certainly strange that someone so familiar with the band who was at the actual shows and writing a book would make such a mistake.

I was there both nights and it was not played, not even hinted at being played. The added extra snippets were Imagine and Popeye the Sailor man. 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2019 at 3:30 AM, UsedYourIllusion said:

Dust N' Bones in 1992, does anyone remember or know from the bootleg in Memphis at the old pyramid who sang lead vocals? I'm assuming Duff and Axl did the vocal fills? That's probably my all-time favorite GN'R song, and it's sad to me that Izzy probably won't ever be back to sing it :/

Welcome to the jungle was NOT played in 1992 at the Oklahoma show, I guess they forgot haha. Also memorable because it's one of the best GN'R proshots out there

Yeah duff sang Dust n Bones in 92 as you said, a bit strange as they never sang it again, but sang it at that one gig

I was a bit surprised that setlist.fm suddenly had setlists to all these shows where we have been missing the setlists for years. I looked a bit into it, and what they seem to have been simply doing, is copy the setlist for the show before to basically fill inn all missing lists and end up with a more complete database. I mean, that probably works pretty accurately (not accurate enough in my opinion) for setlists in later years, but doesn't work so well for setlists in the 90s.

On 10/25/2019 at 2:12 PM, Euchre said:

I have bootlegs of both nights, OIAM is neither played or hinted at as @janrichmond said!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/24/2019 at 6:53 AM, Maestro said:

Always wondered why they never played Don't Damn Me.

As a guitarist, I find it one of the most difficult songs on UYI, but I'm sure that isn't the reason they didn't play it.

I think it is pretty much impossible to sing live without skipping words.  The studio version clearly has transitions from one line to the next that had to be different takes.  There's just not enough time to breathe when singing it.  It would sound like the "You're breaking down my back..." section of YCBM only on that he really isn't "singing."  Don't damn me has a melody throughout.

On 10/26/2019 at 8:37 PM, Gnrcane said:

I think it is pretty much impossible to sing live without skipping words.  The studio version clearly has transitions from one line to the next that had to be different takes.  There's just not enough time to breathe when singing it.  It would sound like the "You're breaking down my back..." section of YCBM only on that he really isn't "singing."  Don't damn me has a melody throughout.

I can't *sing* worth a damn, but I do in my car, and I can go through all of Don't Damn Me.  I can also do all of Coma, and the end of Coma is way harder than any part on Don't Damn Me.  

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

I love that intro! Now, just to get them to play it in full... I don't think he could supply the necessary rasp for this bad boy though! Prove me wrong Axl! 

That and “One” by U2 are my favorite pre-song intros. Something about SCOM makes it perfect for a song intro; same thing with patience.