Live statistics original GnR and new GnR

7 hours ago, Amish said:

I can't *sing* worth a damn, but I do in my car, and I can go through all of Don't Damn Me.  I can also do all of Coma, and the end of Coma is way harder than any part on Don't Damn Me.  

He truncates the lines in Coma and in a lot of the videos I've watched from NITL he ends up basically talking a bunch of the lines.

Go ahead and record yourself singing Don't Damn Me and project the way a singer would and try to sing the correct melody.  There are a lot of spots where you have to sing choppy because the lines in the recording blend into each other.

8 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

That and “One” by U2 are my favorite pre-song intros. Something about SCOM makes it perfect for a song intro; same thing with patience. 

It's more of a joke between my brothers and I but the whole "I'm in love with a girl, I'm talking about..." thing is a favourite of mine :lol: 

9 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

He truncates the lines in Coma and in a lot of the videos I've watched from NITL he ends up basically talking a bunch of the lines.

Go ahead and record yourself singing Don't Damn Me and project the way a singer would and try to sing the correct melody.  There are a lot of spots where you have to sing choppy because the lines in the recording blend into each other.

The point is that Coma is way harder than Don't Damn Me and they still do it.  

23 minutes ago, Amish said:

The point is that Coma is way harder than Don't Damn Me and they still do it.  

Absolutely not. Coma has this ending bit which is hard, but DDM is hard breathing-wise from the very beginning. Play it and try to count small breath-in pauses. Coma is even easier than Locomotive if we're talking strictly about breath-in pauses. 

• Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 5:43 PM, Legendador said:

This is such a great work!

But since WTTJ was played 921 times, can I assume it was played in every single GNR concert? And if that's the case, GNR is 79 shows away in order to complete 1000 (ONE THOUSAND) live performances?

WOW! Just WOW!!!

WTTJ was not played in Oklahoma '92. I believe they just forgot about it

We don't know much about the setlists from March til May 1985, which makes it difficult to give correct numbers. 

It's known that songs like Don't Cry, Shadow of Your Love, Think About You, Heartbreak Hotel, Jumpin Jack Flash were played, but we don't have the setlist for every gig. 

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:
I also just made this, and I will probably try to squeeze it into the infographics later. It shows what albums are represented in live shows over the years in % of total. It makes it easier to spot some developments that might not always be obvious since the setlist lengths have changed throughout the years.

So, as an example, songs that would end up on Appetite accounted for a little bit less than 30 % of the sets in 1985, songs that would end up on Lies (or Live Like A Suicide) accounted for about 30 %, songs that would end up on the Illusions accounted for about 15 %, covers that the band hasn't released accounted for 20 % and unreleased GN'R songs accounted for about 8 %.

As you can see, CD songs were only played from 2001 and onwards. This is different than for songs from every other album that have been played in years prior to their official release on an album. CD songs also reached "peak setlist dominance" in 2009, which is as we would expect when a band has a new album to plug.

Songs off Appetite has taken a large part in the setlists throughout the history of the band, especially in 1987-1989 when the album was fresh. Interestingly, it comprised a much larger part of the setlists in 2001-2002, and 2006 than in 2009 and onwards. As an example, in 2002 they accounted for more than 50 % whereas now in 2019 they accounted for less than 30 %. This is contrary to a popular opinion that the band has become more focused on playing songs from Appetite in recent years.

Playing covers (that they haven't released themselves, like the Seeker, Wichita, Glad to be Here, etc), really only started in 2006. The band has been doing more and more of this, from 5 % in 2006 to 12-15 % in 2018-2019, although it is a very slow development. They did play covers in 1991, too, but these would either end up on the forthcoming UYIs or TSI? and are therefore listed under these albums. What is new today, are covers that the band has no intention of releasing in the future. And of course the band relied on covers in its early days, when they had fewer original songs to choose from.

The main difference between the setlist composition in 2019 vs 1991-1992, is that now CD songs and covers have replaced some of the UYI songs, which is again is natural since UYIs were fresh in 1992. Otherwise, the composition isn't all that different except for the emergence of cover songs.

uten_n43.png

Wait, what's the unreleased track from 2018/2019? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Shadow of Your Love. Maybe I should consider the box set a version of Appetite, although it wasn't included on the original release. And sure, it was released as a B side, but I only look on albums here. 

Made a new category for the remastered release of Appetite, and moved Shadow of Your Love there.

album_10.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/11/2019 at 8:20 AM, SoulMonster said:

This inspired me to make a visual infographics. The numbers are a bit different though, since I use A4D's own database and don't trust the numbers found on setlist.fm.

stats16.png

This is awesome! But did they really played more concerts in Australia than they played in Brazil?