GNRCentral is getting worse. Can we ban it?

Ooh yeah, let's start another feud because the gnr community lacks decent beef. The people on this forum are certainly not their target audience, but think about new fans who want to learn about the band's history. Hell what about our own kids, if you don't teach your kids that once there was this rock n' roll band Rollin' on the streets, you fail in parenthood. Gnr Central has hours of good quality footage especially for newcomers but the content getting thinner is inevitable. Try to run a channel like that for 3 years staying so consistent and besides that GnR Central is the only channel that successfully disputed the many copyright claims they received from them tards in their many attempts to take em down. In fact, it might be the only non-official gnr footage left on YT soon and if you don't like it don't fuckin' watch it, it's that simple. Don't underestimate the importance of Sidds channel in telling future generations about Classic guns.
Fun to see that the people that complain the most are also the best informed about the most recent content and "clickbait" titles!!

• Like 1

Just now, FRANSAD said:

Ooh yeah, let's start another feud because the gnr community lacks decent beef. The people on this forum are certainly not their target audience, but think about new fans who want to learn about the band's history. Hell what about our own kids, if you don't teach your kids that once there was this rock n' roll band Rollin' on the streets, you fail in parenthood. Gnr Central has hours of good quality footage especially for newcomers but the content getting thinner is inevitable. Try to run a channel like that for 3 years staying so consistent and besides that GnR Central is the only channel that successfully disputed the many copyright claims they received from them tards in their many attempts to take em down. In fact, it might be the only non-official gnr footage left on YT soon and if you don't like it don't fuckin' watch it, it's that simple. Don't underestimate the importance of Sidds channel in telling future generations about Classic guns.
Fun to see that the people that complain the most are also the best informed about the most recent content and "clickbait" titles!!

Is that you, Sid? :lol: 

• Like 1

To me gnr Central has a place in my heart, i started watching them in mid 2017 when i kinda just became a fan of more than the 3 afd hits and i admit, i used to watch all of their videos regarding news and i loved their true stories. I watched that channel until august - septemebr 2018 when that copyright thing started, it drove me away from the band in general. But i loved their podcasts, their true stories, their concert recaps. Yeah, some of their titles are clickbaity nowadays, but looking at the whole thing, i think that they did a pretty good job. For a new fan it was and it still is cool to have a channel like that. And sidd, imo he is a cool dude. He lacks editing skills, true, but it was good the way it was. 

Edited by MJRemastered98

They do lots of old articles from the archive these days, but who can blame them.. Sure they're doing clickbait shit as well, but if you do a news page for a band, GNR is probably the worst one you can choose, simply because there's nothing new in the GNR universe for most of the time 

Like I've said before, I appreciate the interviews.

As far as the rest of the content goes, I understand that the main target audience is not the well informed fans who visit and post on the forums, but people who get all their information from youtube and social media; or people who don't have time to read much/are not into reading stuff and prefer watching videos containing pieces what is written elsewhere (and it's not only this forum they get content for videos and blog posts from - I've stumbled upon videos totally based on the work on Chinese Whispers or a-4-d.com).

It's very annoying, though, for example, to see titles like "Rare picture has surfaced!", "X has surfaced!" although the content, more often than not, is stuff that has been circulating for a long time. Or stories that are not well researched, etc.

I also understand that a band - even more so GnR - doesn't generate enough news. But then, why start and run a GnR "news" site in the first place? And if you think it's a good idea anyway, why load it with 20 posts a day of mostly useless clickbait stuff? I guess it's because the more "activity" a site shows, the more views (hence revenue) it gets.

Then there has been the issue of "forgetting" to credit their sources sometimes (which, to my knowledge, is not recent but has been an issue since the beginnings of their blog), unless it's pointed out to them or the source is well known - so it seems it's as long as they can get away with it.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

I thought they were ok but to me as a hard core fan they've never really offered anything new. I don't think I've ever heard anything I didn't already know on their 'true story' videos. Haven't really paid attention to them lately.

Edited by Sisyphus

Yeah wtf with people getting so aggy about this? 

Sid and Geoff are safe guys. 

Yeah there's been a lot of non-stories recycled for their website but so what, don't click on it if it doesn't interest you.

They indeed produced an article from a story I wrote on here about meeting the designer of the AFD anniversary Boxset. I didn't get any credit as such. Guess what? I don't care. That's fine with me because I appreciate the work they've done to provide really interesting interviews with key people in the band's history. They are dedicated fans. 

What would you suggest they do, contact a poster if they've provided content, and wire them fifty cents or whatever when it's earned from an article they produce? It doesn't seem feasible or worthwhile. I don't feel ripped off because it's not as if they'll be making mega bucks off recycling my story. Hence I don't see what the problem should be for others really. If I'm wrong I'm happy to be told why, no beef with anyone here.   

If it had happened to me several times then I guess I might have cause for grievance. Though even legally speaking, there wouldn't be a case for requesting earnings would there? I mean, once somebody writes something here it's in the public domain, its information available to anyone viewing the site. I don't see how there could be a copyright claim or somesuch. Again, I'm happy to be told otherwise if it's the case.

Admittedly it crossed my mind to send them a message when I saw my content recycled, but the immediate afterthought was, what dafuq would I or anyone reasonably demand, a share of the revenue amounting to some spare change? On balance that would seem petty, even if technically I'd be owed $0.05 per click or whatever. They've done enough to provide the GnR community with interesting stuff so fuck it, let it be. That's my fifty cents so to speak. (I'm in the UK anyway so maybe there is less of a litigation attitude here, I dunno.) 

As for citing sources, the only difference would be that instead of writing "a poster on mygnrforum.com said...." it would have to read "GunzFukker666 from mygnrforum.com said.." or whatever, which doesn't read so well journalistically. And they do cite this forum as the source, so giving it more potential clicks in return, so I guess that's fair fux really. 

Either way I don't see any reason to be hating on these guys, i guess they might tone down the recycling after reading this thread anyway so people's gripes will have been heard. 

I don't have a problem with them. Yeah the click bait things is annoying but doing the stuff they are doing is very time consuming, so if they are making a bit of cash who cares. 

They get stuff wrong and some poor editing but they aren't professionals just fans like us. 

Side note: I used to hate that loud dizzy video at the start :wacko:

6 hours ago, Nice Boy said:

If it had happened to me several times then I guess I might have cause for grievance. Though even legally speaking, there wouldn't be a case for requesting earnings would there? I mean, once somebody writes something here it's in the public domain, its information available to anyone viewing the site. I don't see how there could be a copyright claim or somesuch. Again, I'm happy to be told otherwise if it's the case.

Admittedly it crossed my mind to send them a message when I saw my content recycled, but the immediate afterthought was, what dafuq would I or anyone reasonably demand, a share of the revenue amounting to some spare change? On balance that would seem petty, even if technically I'd be owed $0.05 per click or whatever. They've done enough to provide the GnR community with interesting stuff so fuck it, let it be. That's my fifty cents so to speak. (I'm in the UK anyway so maybe there is less of a litigation attitude here, I dunno.) 

As for citing sources, the only difference would be that instead of writing "a poster on mygnrforum.com said...." it would have to read "GunzFukker666 from mygnrforum.com said.." or whatever, which doesn't read so well journalistically. And they do cite this forum as the source, so giving it more potential clicks in return, so I guess that's fair fux really. 

Either way I don't see any reason to be hating on these guys, i guess they might tone down the recycling after reading this thread anyway so people's gripes will have been heard. 

Each one have their own experiences.

What I had in mind in my earlier post wasn’t random forum posts where the specific username wasn’t credited, but cases where transcripts of interviews, findings or research based on various sources (including paid subscriptions on newspapers) were used without crediting even the forums they came from. I don’t want to get into the specifics, because it was a while ago and it has stopped (after it got to the point where it had to be called out in public), so it’s all good now. 

And no one implied about legal issues or being entitled to a chunk of their revenues. That would be ridiculous. It’s not about that. It’s simply about the ethos and courtesy of acknowledging the work of others and not taking credit for it - or even small contributions that give you content to use.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3

Wow, that’s a decent thread - thought I was the only one being displeased with the latest videos, publications and overall attitude.

Firstly, I’d like to say, that I am a big fan lf the channel - in-depth analysis of stories and up-to-date news and gossips makes it an essential GnR source. However, there are some basics where the channel is becoming really annoying:

1. Hating every band’s misstep and mega-bias attitude towards GnR management. Of course, things might be managed better in GnR world, but bitching high ticket prices and boring setlists is just odd - music is business nowadays and its not surprising that money is above fan stuff. Though, must say, was on 3 EU shows and all of them was priced reasonably. The set is pretty much the same, but awesome at its variability. 
2. Blind biases towards Izzy and Steven - They are untouchable there and Axl & Co are the main villains at every dispute - c’mon, let’s not be childish or romantic - this page of GnR is already turned around - Izzy and Steven are not the part of the band now. And it’s not Axl’s or anybody’s fault - things just happened(or not). Nobody was fired or forced to leave the band as it is sometimes sold. 
3. Boring recent concert recaps and news - when I spend at least 5 minutes of my life on YouTube, I want to get some valuable information or insights, but reviews are basically the set and the news sometimes is so irrelevant - and quite often they are just hid under hot headlines. Preferred to have more scoops and theories (as it was in other day).
4. Just annoyed with “Hey Everybody, What’s Going On”. 

All in all, I still subscribed and not planning to leave... but the channel knew better times.

• Like 2

I always liked the cast of characters being rather diverse. I mean that as a sincere compliment. You got Kevin who strikes me as a bookish suburbanite, Sid seems like he only eats at the coolest bistros and Geoff seems like a working class dudes dude. I think that’s really cool. It reflects our community to some extent.

so I would politely float this tip: there is an entire industry based on ‘how to youtube/ new media’ and it’s not only the algorithms that one needs to know. Maybe check out some paid content or seminars? New media is just that, new - everyone needs some outside insight. 

Theres stuff GNR Central could teach other youtubers/new media. And there’s stuff to be learned as well.

Like either it’s a hobby, then shotty editing is fine and quaint. Or it’s a business - hence click bait - and then there’s a standard to meet as to not offend consumers.

but anyone seriously mad about click bait headlines needs to take a peak at the cover of GNR Lies. :axl92::slash:

Edited by soon

I appreciate all the comments. I suppose i requested the ban on links because really, there is no difference between GNRCentral and AltNation other than those who run the former are members here. Clearly, we aren't the target audience, however both sites steal our content, and often without credit. There is no reason for the double standard in banning AltNation while allowing GNRCentral to remain.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide
  • Like 2