Martin Scorsese (and others) Think Marvel Movies are not Cinema

Len Cnut

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

I think he’s talking bollocks. They’re not high art but that’s not really the point. 

I don't think he's saying that they should be high art but rather that they are really lacking in any kind of substance and they are fast becoming the dominant voice in cinema.  And the voice ain't saying or doing fuck all.  Its just a sort of a sensory rollercoaster.

FFS, Coppola has been hit and miss since the early eighties but he deserves better than your ‘and others’ malarkey. 🤣 

The problem is not so much Marvel (which I’m throughly uninvested in) but the fact that the major studios have all but abandoned mid level budget projects in favor or ‘event’ movies. But that’s as much the result of downloading, streaming platforms, and the continuing Golden Age of Television.

Marvel makes commercial movies, some of which are ok, some of which suck but the real issue here is that Marty couldn’t get a conventional studio to commit to The Irishman. 

1 minute ago, Angelica said:

FFS, Coppola has been hit and miss since the early eighties but he deserves better than your ‘and others’ malarkey. 🤣

I highly respect a LOT of the people mentioned in that article, Ken Loach, Coppola, Pedro Almodovar etc etc but fuck typing all that bollocks out :lol:

Marvel makes commercial movies, some of which are ok, some of which suck but the real issue here is that Marty couldn’t get a conventional studio to commit to The Irishman. 

I find that fuckin' disgraceful but then the suits never gave a fuck, its all about the bottom line with them but you gotta push against those cunts and it can't just be the filmmakers doing it. 

6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I find that fuckin' disgraceful but then the suits never gave a fuck, its all about the bottom line with them but you gotta push against those cunts and it can't just be the filmmakers doing it. 

Agreed but the landscape for film has changed permanently. For worse, no question.

If they want to blame anyone, blame movie theatres and the prices they charge.

Movies use to cost $4-$5 for a ticket and another three or four dollars for some popcorn and a drink.  Now it's $30-$35 to go see a film.  If I'm spending that much to watch a film, it's going to be something that's visually stimulating (like Star Wars, Marvel, etc.).  Otherwise I'll just wait until I can rent it on Apple Movies or watch it on Netflix on my OLED television.  The viewing experience at home has become so good the last ten years it's not necessary to shell out the extra money to see a drama or comedy in a theatre.

Moreover, the amount of sensational content on demand at home provides less incentive to go to the theatres.  The movie format itself is becoming outdated.  Content creators no longer need to limit their stories to two/three hours and instead expand their vision to six to ten hour episodes.  

I will always enjoy going to the theatre since it holds nostalgic value for me.  But at this point give me a rollercoaster ride if I'm spending $30 to sit in a movie theatre for two hours.  Otherwise I'll be on the couch consuming "cinema" in the comfort of my own home.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, downzy said:

If they want to blame anyone, blame movie theatres and the prices they charge.

Movies use to cost $4-$5 for a ticket and another three or four dollars for some popcorn and a drink.  Now it's $30-$35 to go see a film.  If I'm spending that much to watch a film, it's going to be something that's visually stimulating (like Star Wars, Marvel, etc.).  Otherwise I'll just wait until I can rent it on Apple Movies or watch it on Netflix on my OLED television.  The viewing experience at home has become so good the last ten years it's not necessary to shell out the extra money to see a drama or comedy in a theatre.

Moreover, the amount of sensational content on demand at home provides less incentive to go to the theatres.  The movie format itself is becoming outdated.  Content creators no longer need to limit their stories to two/three hours and instead expand their vision to six to ten hour episodes.  

I will always enjoy going to the theatre since it holds nostalgic value for me.  But at this point give me a rollercoaster ride if I'm spending $30 to sit in a movie theatre for two hours.  Otherwise I'll be on the couch consuming "cinema" in the comfort of my own home.  

Yes. Used to be just £3-4 when I was growing up. This is why I don't have much sympathy for the film industry when faced with online piracy. And we had the old traditional cinemas then, big Art Baroque-Art Noveau places and not these horrible multiplexes; there are not many of the old cinemas around now sadly. 

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yes. Used to be just £3-4 when I was growing up. This is why I don't have much sympathy for the film industry when faced with online piracy. And we had the old traditional cinemas then, big Art Baroque-Art Noveau places and not these horrible multiplexes; there are not many of the old cinemas around now sadly. 

I can remember it being 1.75 or 2.75 down the local ABC but that closed in the mid 90s, they used to print out little stubs like raffle tickets, after that you had to go down this big Warner Bros complex they had and it was like 4.75 up there.  Then it shot up but it recent years its gone down again, if you wanna go down the Warner Bros (called Vue now) its like 6 or 7 quid a pop which ain’t bad, I mean from what it was.  There’s a new big modern cinemax thing in town with an IMAX and all that which I think is a bit dearer.  I’ve started going a lot more now, used to to all the time as a kid too, had a really undiscriminatory approach, would just show up and see whats on and pick something though, fair dues, as a consequence I have seen a good amount of fuckin’ shite in the cinemas.

I’m not a total Luddite though, I really enjoyed the IMAX when I saw Apocalypse Now down there.  I got no problem with advances per se, it’d just be nice not to end up doing 50 sheets for a trip down the cinema.  They fuckin’ sell booze now, which is a God send.  Shame it ain’t pints, I look like such an alcoholic, ordering 5 bottles in plastic cups, shunting down 3 and topping the 4th up with the 5th take in.  

35 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I can remember it being 1.75 or 2.75 down the local ABC but that closed in the mid 90s, they used to print out little stubs like raffle tickets, after that you had to go down this big Warner Bros complex they had and it was like 4.75 up there.  Then it shot up but it recent years its gone down again, if you wanna go down the Warner Bros (called Vue now) its like 6 or 7 quid a pop which ain’t bad, I mean from what it was.  There’s a new big modern cinemax thing in town with an IMAX and all that which I think is a bit dearer.  I’ve started going a lot more now, used to to all the time as a kid too, had a really undiscriminatory approach, would just show up and see whats on and pick something though, fair dues, as a consequence I have seen a good amount of fuckin’ shite in the cinemas.

I’m not a total Luddite though, I really enjoyed the IMAX when I saw Apocalypse Now down there.  I got no problem with advances per se, it’d just be nice not to end up doing 50 sheets for a trip down the cinema.  They fuckin’ sell booze now, which is a God send.  Shame it ain’t pints, I look like such an alcoholic, ordering 5 bottles in plastic cups, shunting down 3 and topping the 4th up with the 5th take in.  

Yeah, the Vue near us is only £5.99 for any movie. If you go on a Tuesday or Wednesday with one of those Meerkat things it’s only £5.99 for two as well. 

I was under the impression that Marvel movies had wrapped? That End Game was, well, the end (at least for now)?

IIRC one of the Marvel show runners was recently tapped to work Star Wars, where Favereau had already headed? But SW is slowing movie releases. 

I wonder if more serious cinema will flourish once again? Or will some other "Theme Park" franchise come along?

51 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

If you ignore hollywood and watch films from elsewhere in the world, cinema is still producing excellent films. 

Any suggestions? Any good art theft/heist/diplomatic intrigue films?

Edited by soon

2 hours ago, soon said:

Any suggestions? Any good art theft/heist/diplomatic intrigue films?

I have a terrific war film, but it isn't really a war film per se but a war film done like a spaghetti western, in a Tarantino manner I suppose. German: Der Hauptmann (2017) (aka The Captain).  

Theft/heist? I will have a think. Sure there is a lot of stuff from South Korea in that genre. Bong Joon-ho is a master in the genre of murder but his last masterpiece in that genre was 2009 I feel. From Japan try Takeshi Kitano's Outrage Trilogy (the last one was 2017).

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I have a terrific war film, but it isn't really a war film per se but a war film done like a spaghetti western, in a Tarantino manner I suppose. German: Der Hauptmann (2017) (aka The Captain).  

Theft/heist? I will have a think. Sure there is a lot of stuff from South Korea in that genre. Bong Joon-ho is a master in the genre of murder but his last masterpiece in that genre was 2009 I feel. From Japan try Takeshi Kitano's Outrage Trilogy (the last one was 2017).

Thanks! I will check out Bong Joon-ho and Takeshi. I just watched a clip from the Outrage series that was really messed up!

I rarely watch war films (save for SW) and when I do I kinda want them to be stupid, Murican business. Tarantino isnt really my thing. For diplomatic intrigue I like the kind of films where 'a fem fatal named Svetlana hides industry secrets in a painting thats being stored at an auction house' type stuff. So Ill stick with the above, thanks again.