A debate about Slash being a great fit for Kiss.

7 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

That was funny reading those responses.  One called Guns a "One album wonder" but the funniest line was "you think they had problems with Ace, they wouldn't have lasted a week with that junkie" and that Slash would've told them to go F themselves.😄

Im a member over there and they they shit on everyone honestly. To them Jim morrison or Jimi would be shit because it's not Kiss. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Hollywood Zombie said:

Im a member over there and they they shit on everyone honestly. To them Jim morrison or Jimi would be shit because it's not Kiss. 

Yeah, I've been a Kiss fan for a long time although I haven't really kept up with them for a few years.  I always thought Ace and Peter got a raw deal from Gene/Paul.  Especially when they were replaced after the reunion.

• Like 1

I've always regarded KISS as being absolutely shit, though tbf that's more down to the image and few songs of theirs I've heard. If anyone can post an amazing tune of theirs that might convert me then go ahead.

Also it seems to me that in the 80s a lot of bands were basically taking their cues from being another Aerosmith or Kiss, or a mixture of the two. With e.g. Motley Crue being another Kiss variant and GnR basing themselves more on Aerosmith. More substance than style. (Of course it's more complicated than that really and I know they took influence from tonnes of bands, Hanoi Rocks etc)

3 minutes ago, Nice Boy said:

I've always regarded KISS as being absolutely shit, though tbf that's more down to the image and few songs of theirs I've heard. If anyone can post an amazing tune of theirs that might convert me then go ahead.

Also it seems to me that in the 80s a lot of bands were basically taking their cues from being another Aerosmith or Kiss, or a mixture of the two. With e.g. Motley Crue being another Kiss variant and GnR basing themselves more on Aerosmith. More substance than style. (Of course it's more complicated than that really and I know they took influence from tonnes of bands, Hanoi Rocks etc)

I hear ya, I actually got into Kiss when I was about 10 years old.  Their makeup and image was targeted to that age group. But I did like a lot of their songs too.  Are you familiar at all with any of their material?  

Strutter is a catchy tune, otherwise I haven't been bitten by the KISS bug, although I respect their theatrical showmanship that they really had down to a science.  Thankfully we live in the timeline where Slash found his way into GNR and not KISS.   Although Slash in Poison would have been the darkest timeline

• Haha 2

I dont like Slash’s actual playing.

His past live performances were muuuuuch better for me.

He now noodles everywhere, and doesnt follow melodies as he recorded them.

Ive always LOVED his live performances (80’s 90’s) and now I feel that is someone else played the exact thing he does, we would be complaining.

He doest play Dead Horse’s solo right, like WTF...same goes for Yesterdays...he made it simple and great, just stick to the style that made you my favorite guitar player ever

Sorry, I had to write this somewhere

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

I hear ya, I actually got into Kiss when I was about 10 years old.  Their makeup and image was targeted to that age group. But I did like a lot of their songs too.  Are you familiar at all with any of their material?  

Honestly I couldn't name many songs of theirs, I've heard the hits and seen the image which put me off, but admittedly that is not a fair basis to write a band off. The number of times I've met someone who's only heard November Rain and SCOM and thinks GnR are just some next hair band, sheesh. So yeah hit me with a couple of rateable tracks of theirs and I'll give em another shot.

Sidenote: after recently re-listening to Axl and Baz talk about how edgy the KISS song 'Christene Sixteen' is on the Trunk interview, it's kinda weird considering Axl was apparently shagging a 16 y/o girl when he was 24 anyway.. but let's park that contentious one for the time being..

Btw Lame Ass Security is the greatest username ever, lol 

"I'M GOING HOME." <SMASH> 

6 minutes ago, Nice Boy said:

Honestly I couldn't name many songs of theirs, I've heard the hits and seen the image which put me off, but admittedly that is not a fair basis to write a band off. The number of times I've met someone who's only heard November Rain and SCOM and thinks GnR are just some next hair band, sheesh. So yeah hit me with a couple of rateable tracks of theirs and I'll give em another shot.

Sidenote: after recently re-listening to Axl and Baz talk about how edgy the KISS song 'Christene Sixteen' is on the Trunk interview, it's kinda weird considering Axl was apparently shagging a 16 y/o girl when he was 24 anyway.. but let's park that contentious one for the time being..

Btw Lame Ass Security is the greatest username ever, lol 

"I'M GOING HOME." <SMASH> 

A little Ace for you.  

17 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Slash in Poison would have been the darkest timeline

Word

That would have been a tragedy for humankind

I was thinking about the whole Slash/Poison thing the other day. I reckon whoever it was that countered his story about not fitting into the band because he wasn't glam enough might have been correct; I mean, everyone's seen the photos of early GnR with Slash wearing fishnets and makeup, right? So it musta been more a case of, he just wasn't glam enough, not like Bobbi or whatever he's called, that bloke who walked in as Slash left and became the Poison guitarist. 

Poison ffs. To think I used to regard Brett Michaels in Unskinny Bop as looking cool, Jesus. What the hell was I thinking. Forgive me I was 10. Praise be for AFD. I'd take a thousand pairs of biker shorts, riot vests and yellow raincoats over any Poison shit, damn.

@lame ass security Ok yeah that Ace soloing was pretty good tbf. 

I can't get past that fucking makeup and costume image though. Why just why. Where were they borrowing that from? They can't have invented it as a style.

It's unfortunately true that image can count against a band unfairly. When I was a kid I initially disregarded AC/DC because I thought well hey, that fella's an adult wearing a schoolboy uniform, he looks a right cunt and he's obviously trying to appeal to youngsters like me. No, I like GnR, they look grown up, dangerous and hard with all them tattoos and whisky bottles all over the place. Plus swearing and sex noises on the tape. Man, they were the real deal, lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alejandro GNR said:

I dont like Slash’s actual playing.

His past live performances were muuuuuch better for me.

He now noodles everywhere, and doesnt follow melodies as he recorded them.

Ive always LOVED his live performances (80’s 90’s) and now I feel that is someone else played the exact thing he does, we would be complaining. 

I agree. Hate the noodling he does on this I love and Better. The original solos are so good! 

Edited by Thorbear

Some people are trashing KISS. However, GNR was no better when Slash and Duff were no longer in the band. A guy wearing a KFC bucket on his head, Michael Myers type mask while talking with his puppet along with having  dog poop in the studio was part of this band. Another guy who had dressed up as an alien and shaved  half his head was also part of this band. I'm not a KISS fan but just saying that GNR was not good with image during this time.  

• Like 1

For them, Slash is not good cause he isnt KISS. For some here, KISS is terrible because they arent GNR.

Some people here like to say GNR turned into KISS, but these days, GNR is way worse than KISS. At least KISS released tons of stuff (like it or not is a matter os personal taste).

Edited by default_

3 minutes ago, default_ said:

For them, Slash is not good cause he isnt KISS. For some here, KISS is terrible because they arent GNR.

Some people here like to say GNR turned into KISS, but these days, GNR is way worse than KISS. At least KISS released tons of stuff (like it or not is a matter os personal taste).

and at least TB isn't Kiss management...:hahafyou:

• Like 1

KISS is a great band under the show. Well, they were...the 70s albums were great. The deeper cuts are where the gems lie. Songs like Goin’ Blind, Lover Her All I Can, Almost Human, Strange Ways, etc. are fantastic. Like a lot of bands from that era, their hits are some of their weakest songs for the most part. 

I love both bands. No need to shit on either one.

and as someone here said above, a ton of idiots here hated Slash when Axl hated slash.

and on the topic of GNR becoming KISS...

KISS pioneered the merchandise and gimmicks in the 70s. As soon as they were a huge band, they exploited I t. GNR on the other hand was the “most dangerous band in the world” and now they sell toy trucks. So you can’t really become KISS because they were being true to themselves. Money and girls is what is was about from the beginning.

Edited by Stiff Competition
  • Like 2