A debate about Slash being a great fit for Kiss.

21 hours ago, Alejandro GNR said:

I dont like Slash’s actual playing.

His past live performances were muuuuuch better for me.

He now noodles everywhere, and doesnt follow melodies as he recorded them.

Ive always LOVED his live performances (80’s 90’s) and now I feel that is someone else played the exact thing he does, we would be complaining.

He doest play Dead Horse’s solo right, like WTF...same goes for Yesterdays...he made it simple and great, just stick to the style that made you my favorite guitar player ever

Sorry, I had to write this somewhere

Is true though, i love Slash and he's the artist i've seen the most live (with VR, GNR, Conspirators)... whilst he still great i feel he's lost some of his melodic style that was his signature style of playing....

He's not playing bad or anything, actually he's a lot more precise than before, but his Melodies have faded a lot....

• Like 3

All I know is that I've seen KISS five times (my girlfriend is a huge fan) and I've never been bored at their shows. Sure, they are a bit hoaky, but their live shows have always been a blast.

Sometimes I take my rock'n'roll very seriously and sometimes... not so much :lol:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fantomas said:

I always felt was a brand and not a band. Without the theatrics they're just an average rock band. Slash would be an awful fit. Could you really see Slash in makeup and four inch boots? :)

Of course!

Lets face it, Slash is already a walking, talking, living breathing cartoon.  He could easily become a KISS character.  

Talent wise yeah, Slash would rock it, but dressing up, no way!

I remember Slash being interviewed for Poison and telling him if he would wear makeup and dress up. That's a no. He saw CiCi walking in and said, you got the job! lol

Besides Paul and Gene are very outspoken as to what they expect from anyone who's in Kiss and I doubt Slash would have played that game.

On 27/10/2019 at 2:04 PM, Draguns said:

Some people are trashing KISS. However, GNR was no better when Slash and Duff were no longer in the band. A guy wearing a KFC bucket on his head, Michael Myers type mask while talking with his puppet along with having  dog poop in the studio was part of this band. Another guy who had dressed up as an alien and shaved  half his head was also part of this band. I'm not a KISS fan but just saying that GNR was not good with image during this time.  

A very good point 

On 10/27/2019 at 12:19 AM, Thorbear said:

I agree. Hate the noodling he does on this I love and Better. The original solos are so good! 

I think the millennials on this site just like to use the word 'noodling' for effect. If this site uses filtering, that word should be on the list. They don't have any idea what it means. Just used wherever they don't like something. Which is pretty much everything since incessant bitching is 95% of what goes on around here. They'll bitch about this reply.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 1

On ‎27‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:26 AM, Creed said:

there were times like 15 years ago, where slash threads were forbidden here in the main section and a lot of people were trashing Slash really hard. 'Buckethead is soooo much better...blablabla'. The fact is: i can't hear any great solo of bucket on these village session stuff.

I don't think he plays on a lot of it. And the "Bucket" stuff is more riff ideas to build songs around.

Both Bucket and Slash are wonderful guitarists, just differing styles.

And I'm ashamed to say I actually don't mind Kiss. Their rocky earlier albums are very catchy.

Edited by ToonGuns
spelling

1 hour ago, thunderram said:

I think the millennials on this site just like to use the word 'noodling' for effect. If this site uses filtering, that word should be on the list. They don't have any idea what it means. Just used wherever they don't like something. Which is pretty much everything since incessant bitching is 95% of what goes on around here. They'll bitch about this reply.

Are you making this a generational thing?? haha. Damn kids wouldn't know guitar if a Les Paul smacked 'em upside the head. And another thing!... 

I love Slash, he's the reason I play guitar, but I think it's fair to say sometimes he can sort of lean on meandering shredding, especially now that he's technically way more proficient. Especially on songs he didn't write... probably because they don't inspire him as much, or he's sort of searching for ideas as he's playing them. But even his own stuff... the RQ solo during SMKC really started to get a little... ponderous (Noodle-y!) :) . For a counter-example, the new bluesy solo spot... very emotive. 

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1

That was good for a laugh. There were reasonable people in that thread though who pointed out you don't have to like GNR to acknowledge their legacy. 

Who's the bigger band is subjective to an extent.

KISS is a good gimmick. There's nothing special about the singer. There's nothing special about Gene Simmons. They're a really good gimmick. And they've had a handful of really fun rock songs. Off the top of my head, "I was Made for Loving You" (which funnily enough is a song that brought them ridicule due to it sounding like a disco tune), "Rock and Roll All Nite," "God Gave Rock and Roll To You," "Lick it Up," and "Crazy  Nights." But, holy shit, the lyrics are laughable. All their big hits are about playing rock and roll. 

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Haha 1

70s KISS i love, hell i even love unmasked. The band when they first appeared on tv there was no one that looked like them. There music isnt technically brilliant but like ACDC, stick to meat and potatos rock formula. They have always tried to make their shows bigger for the fans, and always speak highly of trying to give the best bang for buck show. I wish gnr would use KISSs management god knows how many proshot shows would be released by now.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

70s KISS i love, hell i even love unmasked. The band when they first appeared on tv there was no one that looked like them. There music isnt technically brilliant but like ACDC, stick to meat and potatos rock formula. They have always tried to make their shows bigger for the fans, and always speak highly of trying to give the best bang for buck show. I wish gnr would use KISSs management god knows how many proshot shows would be released by now.

Axl tried that apparently:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/paul-stanley-doc-mcghee-is-not-managing-guns-n-roses/

• Like 1