Floyd Discussion

double talkin jive mfkr

my favorite band music wise animals and wish you were here are my personal favorite albums but im even quite loyal to gilmour and his later albums 

i would say there early syd albums are so abstract and pretty dark? this is the only era i don't know inside out

i dont go too deep into dark side as its overplayed and cliché floyd - however the wall is an absolute masterpiece in my opinion 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dropping the needle on The Final Cut in a moment.

The upcoming "the later years" set includes a remixed and partially rerecorded Momentary Lapse of Reason - which to me suggests that the lapse in reason wasnt so momentary after all :P :lol:. It finally includes the long promised rerecording of Mason playing the drums and a larger focus on Wrights keys.

Also this early version of High Hopes

11 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

i would say there early syd albums are so abstract and pretty dark?

Thats an interesting take on the era. There is darkness for sure, but thats not what strikes me the most tbh. I like the whimsy.

12 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

i dont go too deep into dark side as its overplayed and cliché floyd

ZpskkO6.gif

:lol:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Towelie said:

So shite and pretentious, basically?

Yeah, I could never understand the appeal of Pink Floyd.

I used to love them, and in certain aspects still like elements (Gilmour's skills), but went off them for the reasons you listed. Studenty band like Radiohead.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I used to love them, and in certain aspects still like elements (Gilmour's skills), but went off them for the reasons you listed. Studenty band like Radiohead.

Oh, Radiohead definitely cut from the same cloth. Music to be seen to be listening to.

Never been into them, just not my thing, I guess.

I don't see how they are pretentious, though. And who cares what kind of people listen to their music, you either like them or you don't and nothing else should matter.

It's like that ''guilty pleasure'' thing in a way, when someone is not able to admit that they like a band because they are not considered 'cool' by most people, I never understood that either.

They've got some really great albums/songs, that stretch from Dark Side through Animals is fantastic, even the 2 previous albums (Obscured By Clouds & Meddle) are great even if they're not on the same level as what followed.

I still think The Wall is one of the most overrated rock albums ever, though; it's a really good album, stretched into an over-the-top, unnecessary double album. I get why people like it, but I never listen to the full thing anymore. It's the album that's most fitting of the 'pretentious, student-y music' label, IMO.

• Like 1

I'm from '98 and started listening to Floyd in 2010 or so, waaay to late to have any chance of seeing them together obviously 

I never got into their early Syd Barrett work but from Meddle on, I think I enjoy every album (yes, even The Endless River, once a year or so) with DSOTM being my favorite one (very mainstream, I know, but it is simply genius) 

I saw Gilmour on his solo tour in 2016 which was good but obviously not the same + the crowd was absolutely shit, but still, watching Live 8 from 2005 often brings tears to my eyes, because I realize that this was the last chance to see them and that they are never gonna play together again, but also because it's such a bloody powerful und important moment for music history 

IMO the biggest reunion in rock music, and even though they still didn't get along well, they were amazing that night

• Like 1

One cool thing about Pink Floyd is that it has so many eras. And also so many styles within those eras. 1969 was an amazing year for Pink Floyd and yet its just a drop in the pale of all that Pink Floyd is. Hard rock and avant garde experimentation arent even their 'classic' sounds, but they also completely nail those genres.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

my favorite band music wise animals and wish you were here are my personal favorite albums but im even quite loyal to gilmour and his later albums 

i would say there early syd albums are so abstract and pretty dark? this is the only era i don't know inside out

i dont go too deep into dark side as its overplayed and cliché floyd - however the wall is an absolute masterpiece in my opinion 

Glad you started this thread! 

Floyd is easily my number one band of all time. I got into them around the time Delicate Sound of Thunder came out. That album was a big gateway into their back catalog. It took me some time to get into Animals and The Final Cut since they're not featured in Delicate Sound, but I got to them a year later or so. 

I saw them twice at both Detroit shows in 94. I had 4th row for the second night when they did the entire Dark Side of the Moon for the first time in 19 years. It was just an amazing experience. 

I've seen Roger around 10 times since then, including The Wall twice. I got to meet him before the second time I saw The Wall and it was an awesome experience. I saw Gilmour one more time in 2016 as well. 

I fucking love WYWH and Animals, but The Wall is my single favorite piece of art by anyone ever, so it's my favorite Floyd album overall. Numbers 2 though 13 go to pretty much whatever album I'm listening to at the time. 14 and 15 are A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. I liked Saucerful a great deal and I like Syds solo work but I just can't get on board with Piper. 

Side note; I adore Amused To Death and think it's as much of a Floyd album as The Division Bell is and way more of a Floyd album than Momentary Lapse is. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Glad you started this thread! 

Floyd is easily my number one band of all time. I got into them around the time Delicate Sound of Thunder came out. That album was a big gateway into their back catalog. It took me some time to get into Animals and The Final Cut since they're not featured in Delicate Sound, but I got to them a year later or so. 

I saw them twice at both Detroit shows in 94. I had 4th row for the second night when they did the entire Dark Side of the Moon for the first time in 19 years. It was just an amazing experience. 

I've seen Roger around 10 times since then, including The Wall twice. I got to meet him before the second time I saw The Wall and it was an awesome experience. I saw Gilmour one more time in 2016 as well. 

I fucking love WYWH and Animals, but The Wall is my single favorite piece of art by anyone ever, so it's my favorite Floyd album overall. Numbers 2 though 13 go to pretty much whatever album I'm listening to at the time. 14 and 15 are A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. I liked Saucerful a great deal and I like Syds solo work but I just can't get on board with Piper. 

Side note; I adore Amused To Death and think it's as much of a Floyd album as The Division Bell is and way more of a Floyd album than Momentary Lapse is. 

i have no experience with waters' solo work to me the fights between him and gilmour are very reminiscent of axl and slash 

i think there could be huge parallels to be drawn by the egos of all 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

i have no experience with waters' solo work to me the fights between him and gilmour are very reminiscent of axl and slash 

i think there could be huge parallels to be drawn by the egos of all 

Oh man.... You really should check out Amused To Death. It's his strongest solo work by far. Like I said, I consider it a Floyd album. It's that good. And yeah, there's a lot of comparisons between Axl & Slash and David & Roger.