Floyd Discussion

double talkin jive mfkr

Okay, this is ridiculous! USA professional baseball (MLB) pulled ads for Waters upcoming tour because he advocates for BDS. BDS is about a government of a country, not a body of people worldwide.

The UN and a majority of the Nations on planet Earth consider the settlements illegal, but Roger Waters cant say it? :facepalm: Criticizing the policies and actions of a democratically elected govt is a fairly normal thing to do - it is welcomed in democracy. And making such criticisms obviously has nothing to do with the millions of Jewish people around the world who dont have anything to do with the govts actions. The millions around the world who don't even inform who gets elected in Israel. :facepalm: 

Major League Baseball Halts Roger Waters Ads After Advocacy Group’s Criticism 

"Major League Baseball said they would stop running promotions for Roger Waters’ upcoming North American tour following criticism from Jewish advocacy groups.

As part of an ad buy by AEG/Concerts West, advertisements for tickets to Waters’ This Is Not a Drill trek were shown on MLB platforms. This drew the ire of Jewish organizations like B’nai B’rith, which has been critical of Waters for his support of the Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions (BDS) movement." (...)

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/major-league-baseball-roger-waters-tour-949814/

4 hours ago, soon said:

Okay, this is ridiculous! USA professional baseball (MLB) pulled ads for Waters upcoming tour because he advocates for BDS. BDS is about a government of a country, not a body of people worldwide.

The UN and a majority of the Nations on planet Earth consider the settlements illegal, but Roger Waters cant say it? :facepalm: Criticizing the policies and actions of a democratically elected govt is a fairly normal thing to do - it is welcomed in democracy. And making such criticisms obviously has nothing to do with the millions of Jewish people around the world who dont have anything to do with the govts actions. The millions around the world who don't even inform who gets elected in Israel. :facepalm: 

Major League Baseball Halts Roger Waters Ads After Advocacy Group’s Criticism 

"Major League Baseball said they would stop running promotions for Roger Waters’ upcoming North American tour following criticism from Jewish advocacy groups.

As part of an ad buy by AEG/Concerts West, advertisements for tickets to Waters’ This Is Not a Drill trek were shown on MLB platforms. This drew the ire of Jewish organizations like B’nai B’rith, which has been critical of Waters for his support of the Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions (BDS) movement." (...)

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/major-league-baseball-roger-waters-tour-949814/

just as we were saying - total BS 

i dont want this thread to take a hard political turn but if it does so be it 

what does annihilating and occupying another nation like Palestine have to do with payback for what Nazis did in WW2? how does that even remotely relate and how does taking a stance against that categorize you as an anti semite? this is is just goinig on for way too long and people aren't dumb - its obviously trickery and the most dangerous relationship in the world right now is Trump and Netanyahu, not only do the zionist have Trump by the balls but they are slowly trying to censor all opposition and Roger Waters and this news is a symbol of that 

• GNFNR 1

I listened to a really neat radio program about Pink Floyds regular album cover designers, Hipgnosis. You can listen or read at this link. And you can also download it in podcast form. I never knew the origin of the companies name. Or that it was Syd who invented it. Too cool!

"In 1967, Pink Floyd approached their friends Aubrey Powell and Storm Thorgerson to design the cover of their second album, Saucer Full of Secrets.

The success of that cover led to other work from bands like The Pretty Things, Free and T-Rex. With all that business coming in, Powell and Thorgerson decided to start a design company. They just needed a name.

The two of them happened to share an apartment with Sid Barrett of Pink Floyd, and one day Barrett scrawled a name in ballpoint ink on their door. It was "Hipgnosis." The word "hip" referenced the cool subculture, "gnostic" suggested mystical knowledge and the word "hypnosis" itself implied a trance state.

It was perfect. Hipgnosis was born." (...)

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/undertheinfluence/this-band-grounded-flights-at-heathrow-in-the-name-of-album-art-1.5437369

• Like 1

I listened to Live at Pompei and Delicate Sound of Thunder this week.

It turns out, David Gilmour is pretty good at guitar. I know, I was quite surprised too. 

I could use another couple dozens of listens of "On The Turning Away". I will not be untruthful. 

End transmission. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wagszilla said:

I listened to Live at Pompei and Delicate Sound of Thunder this week.

It turns out, David Gilmour is pretty good at guitar. I know, I was quite surprised too. 

I could use another couple dozens of listens of "On The Turning Away". I will not be untruthful. 

End transmission. 

Wait... Which version of Delicate Sound of Thunder? 

30 minutes ago, soon said:

What are the best Comfortably Numb performances? Gilmour and Floyd shows.

I just listened to 1994 Earls Court 11 min rendition on YT and the guitar solos are glorious! I believe thats the unit version of what appears on Pulse?

For me, it's a two way tie:

The version on the Pulse album is very close to the one that's on the Pulse video. There are some very minor differences, but I prefer the Pulse album version over the one in the video. 

I also LOVE the one from the original Delicate Sound of Thunder album. The original Delicate Sound video has a version of the same solo that's slightly edited down, whereas the album version is the complete solo. 

The new remix / remaster of Delicate Sound is an abomination and should never be listened to by anyone, ever lol. So make sure you're listening to the original Delicate Sound album if you check it out. 

In any case, those two are in a dead tie for me for best versions of the song. 

Honorable mention to Doyle Bramhall II (on Rogers In The Flesh live album) and Bumblefoot (on the Sons of Apollo live album) for being the only two people outside of Gilmour who have ever done it justice. 

• Thanks 1

I will check out Pulse in more detail. Been listening to DSOT original version and I really like it. To me it sounds very menacing right at the start, which I like and I think that evokes the feelings of the albums narrative even better than the album version. I dont know all the various arrangements that have been performed, but I believe the vocal harmonies are a bit different in DSOT?? I like that for the more menacing vibe too! 

Its likely just my ears playing tricks but I swear that they start to lean into the tempo more in the outro? I like the feeling of increased tempo (or an actual increase as the case may be).

It all sounds like its being played by some... err, twitching-snow-blinded-dudes, if we can phrase it that way?? :lol: 

On February 20, 2020 at 10:05 AM, RussTCB said:

The new remix / remaster of Delicate Sound is an abomination and should never be listened to by anyone, ever lol. So make sure you're listening to the original Delicate Sound album if you check it out. 

Haha! All cautions made. I am certain it was the original. really enjoying it! Thanks for suggestions!! :headbang:

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
10 hours ago, The Dissident said:

I believe this is okay because it comes from Rogers official page.

Cool version. Great band. One of my favourite things in all of music is the ride cymbal part during the guitar solo. So its a real treat to see that close up in this vid :headbang:

The drama with Roger protesting the fact that Pink Floyd wouldn't put this vid on Pink Floyds website was a bit curious imho.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/roger-waters-david-gilmour-pink-floyd-fans/

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, soon said:

Cool version. Great band. One of my favourite things in all of music is the ride cymbal part during the guitar solo. So its a real treat to see that close up in this vid :headbang:

The drama with Roger protesting the fact that Pink Floyd wouldn't put this vid on Pink Floyds website was a bit curious imho.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/roger-waters-david-gilmour-pink-floyd-fans/

I completely side with Roger here BUT I really wish these guys would get their shit together behind the scenes and not drag it out in front of the fans. 

Also, this type of shit gives me no hope for the future of Floyd material even after David, Roger and Nick pass. I feel like their families (especially Polly) will keep this fued going for ages. The fans lose in every aspect of that scenario. 

The Wall Live footage? Probably never going to see it. Proper deluxe versions of Animals and The Final Cut? Probably never going to hear them. Potential for remix / remaster ala what Giles Martin has done with The Beatles? Not a chance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I completely side with Roger here BUT I really wish these guys would get their shit together behind the scenes and not drag it out in front of the fans. 

Also, this type of shit gives me no hope for the future of Floyd material even after David, Roger and Nick pass. I feel like their families (especially Polly) will keep this fued going for ages. The fans lose in every aspect of that scenario. 

The Wall Live footage? Probably never going to see it. Proper deluxe versions of Animals and The Final Cut? Probably never going to hear them. Potential for remix / remaster ala what Giles Martin has done with The Beatles? Not a chance. 

I wonder if Rogers approach was a factor? I’m not sure of all the details as to how he went about asking for it to be uploaded?

It would definitely be nice if they could get it together enough to retweet it or whatever. I sure hope to be a more chill geezer, lol.

that would be a shame if none of those releases ever happen! I had no idea that Polly was a ‘player’ in the equation?

On 5/23/2020 at 1:11 PM, soon said:

I wonder if Rogers approach was a factor? I’m not sure of all the details as to how he went about asking for it to be uploaded?

It would definitely be nice if they could get it together enough to retweet it or whatever. I sure hope to be a more chill geezer, lol.

that would be a shame if none of those releases ever happen! I had no idea that Polly was a ‘player’ in the equation?

Oh yeah, Polly had had her in hand in a lot of Floyd stuff dating back to 93 or so. Dave has used Floyd to try to promote a lot of her projects over the years and I find it a little off putting. Even more so now. Why would Floyd fans care about what's Dave's wife is doing while they can't get any updates on Roger? 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Last night on the Deads weekly fundraiser (this week for NAACP legal defence fund) Bruce Hornsby was interviewed. Hornsby sat in with the Dead for over 100 full shows from 89-95. In the interview he mentioned that back in the 80s he had been tapped to play some sort of show where various artists were matched up to perform songs together (maybe it was a fundraiser too, I forget).

Anyways, he said he was asked to play Comfortably Numb and that him and his musician friends had never heard it before, lol. He said he enjoyed the experience of performing the song so much that wrote a song with the same feeling and dynamics so he could experience that feeling more often.

I get that Comfortably Numb is a very vibey song that is so fulfilling to perform. What I dont get is how the song he came up with is at all like Comfortably Numb?!

Theres the 'double time' strumming acoustic guitar in the chorus I guess? I mean maybe he sounds as Floyd as Floyd did on Momentary lapse? :P Does anyone hear the Comfortably Numb influence here?

Edited by soon

23 hours ago, soon said:

Last night on the Deads weekly fundraiser (this week for NAACP legal defence fund) Bruce Hornsby was interviewed. Hornsby sat in with the Dead for over 100 full shows from 89-95. In the interview he mentioned that back in the 80s he had been tapped to play some sort of show where various artists were matched up to perform songs together (maybe it was a fundraiser too, I forget).

Anyways, he said he was asked to play Comfortably Numb and that him and his musician friends had never heard it before, lol. He said he enjoyed the experience of performing the song so much that wrote a song with the same feeling and dynamics so he could experience that feeling more often.

I get that Comfortably Numb is a very vibey song that is so fulfilling to perform. What I dont get is how the song he came up with is at all like Comfortably Numb?!

Theres the 'double time' strumming acoustic guitar in the chorus I guess? I mean maybe he sounds as Floyd as Floyd did on Momentary lapse? :P Does anyone hear the Comfortably Numb influence here?

I don't hear anything remotely similar between that and Comfortably Numb. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I don't hear anything remotely similar between that and Comfortably Numb. 

Thanks Russ, figured my ears were just playing tricks. But it really isnt similar at all, lol. 

I think I may have solved it a bit. He does a medley of the two songs live and his comfortably numb doesnt sound very much like comfortably numb either! My guess, since he said he hadnt heard it, is that he listened once and then his trained musician brain screwed him over by adding extra musicality to the empty spaces in Comfortably Numb. So then his song is actually based off of his Comfortably Numb arrangement, not Floyds. Like a game of telephone he played with himself.

(obviously no obligation to listen, his version starts at 4:28)

Anyways, maybe still a neat footnote for a Pink Floyd completist.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

I saw Pink Floyd live, and I’m not a fan at all.... But they were killer, It was the live 8 thingy in London. £800 for 2 tickets.... I was way way way back, but they sounded excellent.... 

You saw the f'n Pink Floyd reunion, no biggie :lol::headbang:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, soon said:

You saw the f'n Pink Floyd reunion, no biggie :lol::headbang:

Just about to be honest.....

I’d already flown over to Donnington to see Sabbath, Velvet Revolver, Motorhead, DKT/MC5 and a bunch of others, and was broke, but 3 days before the Live 8 thingy I got an insurance check from a motorcycle accident I’d had. 

Thus meaning I had cash and flew over the day before, it took a lot of hassle to get a ticket, they’d been issued by lottery or some shite but my buddy got a guy selling 2 tickets £400 each.... steep as fuck but the lineup was mostly worth it. like I said though I was way way back.... Straight back to Gatwick and slept in the airport for 4 hours before getting the flight back home! 

I didn’t realize the scale of it till I saw the stuff on TV And online over the next few days. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

Just about to be honest.....

I’d already flown over to Donnington to see Sabbath, Velvet Revolver, Motorhead, DKT/MC5 and a bunch of others, and was broke, but 3 days before the Live 8 thingy I got an insurance check from a motorcycle accident I’d had. 

Thus meaning I had cash and flew over the day before, it took a lot of hassle to get a ticket, they’d been issued by lottery or some shite but my buddy got a guy selling 2 tickets £400 each.... steep as fuck but the lineup was mostly worth it. like I said though I was way way back.... Straight back to Gatwick and slept in the airport for 4 hours before getting the flight back home! 

I didn’t realize the scale of it till I saw the stuff on TV And online over the next few days. 

You saw the Pink Floyd reunion on a whim. And there can never be another reunion because Rick Wright died. Sheesh, well that kinda luck balances out a motorcycle accident at least, I guess (hope you recovered and all).

The fans in this thread are jealous of you! But the fact that it didn't make a fan out of you is suspect, lol. For that you need to be dragged a bit....

You flew to a climate change awareness concert,

Am8pz3Jh.jpg

:P:lol:

• Like 1