Floyd Discussion

double talkin jive mfkr

Broken Leg,was in traction for a few days, got some bolts and screws in there but I got away lucky enough.... 

My Buddy was a huge Pink Floyd fan, he kinda drove the thing... Don’t think it was climate change, it was forgiveness of third world debt. Live Aid part 2, I guess...

Velvet Revolver, The Who, REM, Paul McCartney and bunch of others kinda made it worth the money... 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

"Tongue tied and twisted, just an Earth-bound mystic" Is what I thought the lyric was when I heard it on the radio today.

Really connected with this lyric. Never liked the song, nor album, before. And then I realized the word is "Misfit" not "mystic."

Its amazing how with that one word, I'm back to not liking the song, lol

29 minutes ago, soon said:

"Tongue tied and twisted, just an Earth-bound mystic" Is what I thought the lyric was when I heard it on the radio today.

Really connected with this lyric. Never liked the song, nor album, before. And then I realized the word is "Misfit" not "mystic."

Haha, when I first saw your post I was like "it's misfit, not mystic". Then I saw you say you really connected with the lyric and I thought "OK, I just won't say anything and ruin it for him". Then I read the rest haha. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, soon said:

You poor man! :D Do you hate it even more if I told you that beloved GnR producer Bob Ezrin co-wrote the lyrics? ;) 

I always liked that song though. Never been a big fan of post-Waters Floyd, but this is one of the tracks I enjoy. Not that it's anywhere near the level of what came before, but I still enjoy it. David and Polly's lyrics just rarely do it for me. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, username said:

You poor man! :D Do you hate it even more if I told you that beloved GnR producer Bob Ezrin co-wrote the lyrics? ;) 

I always liked that song though. Never been a big fan of post-Waters Floyd, but this is one of the tracks I enjoy. Not that it's anywhere near the level of what came before, but I still enjoy it. David and Polly's lyrics just rarely do it for me. 

F'n Bob Ezrin!! :lol: Im pretty sure its him that encouraged the band to sound more contemporary with drum loops and 80s synth too. If only Id been there to tell him hes got maybe 4 good words and I can help rewrite the rest, lol.

I havent sat with AMLOR nearly enough to really even comment. Heard enough to get a taste and have been happy to just leave it be so far. But as I fan I anticipate that one day Ill dive in and I wont be surprised if I enjoy for what it is, either. Same with Endless River. But I love Division Bell. Also wish some Wright solo material had been post-Waters Floyd, including for the quality of the lyrics.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/21/2021 at 1:25 PM, martinb33 said:

Who agrees that Obscured by Clouds is the most underrated Pink Floyd album?

When I saw David and Richard on the On An Island tour in 2006, they played Wot's Uh The Deal and it was fantastic. An absolute highlight for me. Then in 2019 I saw Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets playing the title track, When You're In and Childhood's End. For some reason it took THAT long to finally hit me just how great that album is. Underrated as hell. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, merryfnchristmas said:

it is!! I'm usually a bit of a Syd guy, but I love early 70s Floyd. 

I'm so odd when it comes to early Floyd / Syd. 

I do not like Piper at all. However, I love all of Syds solo music after he left. I also love all the rest of the pre Dark Side material Floyd made after Syd left. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I'm so odd when it comes to early Floyd / Syd. 

I do not like Piper at all. However, I love all of Syds solo music after he left. I also love all the rest of the pre Dark Side material Floyd made after Syd left. 

Interesting. I like Piper but I definitely prefer Syd solo.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

New "Pink Floyd" single in support of Ukraine:

pink_floyd_hey_hey_rise_up.jpg

Pink Floyd have announced their return with a new single. Tomorrow (April 8), the storied rock outfit will share new song "Hey, Hey Rise Up!" in support of the Ukraine Humanitarian Fund.

"Hey, Hey Rise Up!" is billed as the first new music from Pink Floyd since 1994's The Division Bell. Of course, 2014's The Endless River was largely based on over 20 hours of previously unreleased material recorded for that aforementioned album.

Joining Pink Floyd's David Gilmour and Nick Mason on the single are recurring bassist Guy Pratt, keyboardist Nitin Sawhney and Andriy Khlyvnyuk of Ukrainian band Boombox. The single was recorded last Wednesday (March 30) alongside an accompanying music video directed by Mat Whitecross.

Khlyvnyuk vocal contributions come from an Instagram post in which he sings the 1914 Ukranian patriotic march "Oi u luzi chervona kalyna" ("Oh, the Red Viburnum in the Meadow") in Kyiv's Sofiyskaya Square. Pink Floyd's new single takes its title from the English translation of the song's last line.

Gilmour said of the single in a statement, "I hope it will receive wide support and publicity. We want to raise funds for humanitarian charities, and raise morale. We want express our support for Ukraine and in that way, show that most of the world thinks that it is totally wrong for a superpower to invade the independent democratic country that Ukraine has become."

Pink Floyd recently released a restored and re-edited version of live album P.U.L.S.E., and brought a wealth of other live material to streaming services. In 2021, they gave a similar treatment to 1987's A Momentary Lapse of Reason.

https://exclaim.ca/music/article/pink_floyd_reform_for_ukraine_benefit_single_hey_hey_rise_up

Edited by Gordon Comstock

31 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

No Rick Wright and more of Polly Sampsons shitty lyrics = no listen from me. 

I don't think there's any English lyrics in the song? It's David Gilmour featuring Nick Mason and some other guys, and it's alright. Nothing groundbreaking, but it's got a nice solo. Gilmour basically said they released it as Pink Floyd purely so it would get more attention:

"I thought: that is pretty magical and maybe I can do something with this. I’ve got a big platform that [Pink Floyd] have worked on for all these years. It’s a really difficult and frustrating thing to see this extraordinarily crazy, unjust attack by a major power on an independent, peaceful, democratic nation. The frustration of seeing that and thinking ‘what the fuck can I do?’ is sort of unbearable.

I rang Nick up and said: ‘listen, I want to do this thing for Ukraine. I’d be really happy if you played on it and I’d also be really happy if you’d agree to us putting it out as Pink Floyd.’ And he was absolutely on for that.

It’s Pink Floyd if it’s me and Nick, and that is the biggest promotional vehicle; that is, as I said, the platform that I’ve been working on for my whole adult life, since I was 21. I wouldn’t do this with many more things, but it’s so vitally, vitally important that people understand what’s going on there and do everything within their power to change that situation. And the thought, also, that mine and Pink Floyd’s support of the Ukrainians could help boost morale in those areas: they need to know the whole world supports them."

• Like 2

• 2 months later...