ELVIS

action

1 hour ago, lame ass security said:

Absolutely.  Elvis did two shows nightly in Vegas at 9 and midnight.  And he would even add a 3AM show if the overflow crowds warranted it.  This was pretty rare but it did happen.   Can you imagine, that's insane but so friggin cool. 

I'm 38 years old, and by 9PM I'm getting tired as fuck already.

make me do two days in a row the effort Elvis did, and I'm a total and utter wreck

19 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Absolutely.  Elvis did two shows nightly in Vegas at 9 and midnight.  And he would even add a 3AM show if the overflow crowds warranted it.  This was pretty rare but it did happen.   Can you imagine, that's insane but so friggin cool. 

18 hours ago, action said:

I'm 38 years old, and by 9PM I'm getting tired as fuck already.

make me do two days in a row the effort Elvis did, and I'm a total and utter wreck

This reminds me of something I always tell people about how lame Las Vegas has become. I always tell people "Look. Back in the 70s Vegas was so cool you could see the REAL Elvis Presley in concert at 3am. These days, the town is so lame that you can't even see a guy pretending to be Elvis in concert past like 9pm" 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, lame ass security said:

I just read in IMDb that Tom Hanks is going to play Col. Tom Parker in an "Untitled Elvis Presley Project".

Elvis don't need a movie, Elvis needs the proper documentary treatment.  Which he kinda got with The Searcher but there's room for more.  Its disgraceful that he is who he is but the documentaries about him are so fucking mickey mouse.  This is Elvis is good, stupid fuckin' fake voiceover though.  There must be a wealth of footage out there of him that ain't released.  I mean just go to youtube and type in Elvis Interview and see what pops up, about 3 or 4, thats about it.  All those old performance videos, there's really so little out there if you think about it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lame ass security said:

I just read in IMDb that Tom Hanks is going to play Col. Tom Parker in an "Untitled Elvis Presley Project".

I read about that a while back, I'm curious to see how it goes. 

9 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Elvis don't need a movie, Elvis needs the proper documentary treatment.  Which he kinda got with The Searcher but there's room for more.  Its disgraceful that he is who he is but the documentaries about him are so fucking mickey mouse.  This is Elvis is good, stupid fuckin' fake voiceover though.  There must be a wealth of footage out there of him that ain't released.  I mean just go to youtube and type in Elvis Interview and see what pops up, about 3 or 4, thats about it.  All those old performance videos, there's really so little out there if you think about it. 

Graceland is selling a very specific image and has been for quite some time. Most or all footage of Elvis from the 50s has been well circulated. A lot of the stuff from the late 60s and 70s hasn't, but Graceland isn't interested in that era. They're not exactly trying to bury it, but they also don't want to promote it either. Sad but true. I have to assume that's why we've never had a solid doc about his entire life. 

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

I read about that a while back, I'm curious to see how it goes. 

Graceland is selling a very specific image and has been for quite some time. Most or all footage of Elvis from the 50s has been well circulated. A lot of the stuff from the late 60s and 70s hasn't, but Graceland isn't interested in that era. They're not exactly trying to bury it, but they also don't want to promote it either. Sad but true. I have to assume that's why we've never had a solid doc about his entire life. 

There's gotta be some more 50s stuff than whats about man. 

5 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

There's gotta be some more 50s stuff than whats about man. 

Could be, yeah. I guess I'm not really sure how much is actually out there.

Having said that, as a massive Elvis fan I have to say that I'm ashamed to admit I never got around to watching The Searcher when it was released. I totally forgot about it until you mentioned it just now. I plan to watch it during the next week, so thank you for the reminder! 

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

You're right about This Is Elvis, it was pretty awesome.  The part at the end where Joe Esposito says Elvis' tremendous voice was there until the very end before it shows him onstage hitting those operatic notes. Wow, gives me goose bumps every time.

3 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

You're right about This Is Elvis, it was pretty awesome.  The part at the end where Joe Esposito says Elvis' tremendous voice was there until the very end before it shows him onstage hitting those operatic notes. Wow, gives me goose bumps every time.

The entire CBS Special (where that performance is taken from) is worth listening to. He screws up Are You Lonesome Tonight and turns in an awful version of Hound Dog, but other than that, it's an excellent show. 

That show has my favorite versions of You Gave Me A Mountain and My Way, by a long shot. All of the video will never be released, but it's out there if you really want to see it. In any case, you should check out the album "Elvis In Concert", that's the audio from the CBS Special. 

12 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

The entire CBS Special (where that performance is taken from) is worth listening to. He screws up Are You Lonesome Tonight and turns in an awful version of Hound Dog, but other than that, it's an excellent show. 

That show has my favorite versions of You Gave Me A Mountain and My Way, by a long shot. All of the video will never be released, but it's out there if you really want to see it. In any case, you should check out the album "Elvis In Concert", that's the audio from the CBS Special. 

Yeah, a lot of people say "oh, it's so sad" when they talk about that performance of Are You Lonesome Tonight.  But the only part he screwed up was the spoken word part and he was pretty funny covering it up.  The "I'm standing there without any hair" and "plus tax" was hilarious.  He sounded great on the rest of the song. 

10 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Yeah, a lot of people say "oh, it's so sad" when they talk about that performance of Are You Lonesome Tonight.  But the only part he screwed up was the spoken word part and he was pretty funny covering it up.  The "I'm standing there without any hair" and "plus tax" was hilarious.  He sounded great on the rest of the song. 

I agree overall. That's one where the video really detracts from it though. If you watch the video, you can see he's being less funny and more lost. I actually feel sorry for him when I watch that particular song. Again though, he does song excellent on the rest of the song. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Today would've been Elvis' 85th birthday. 

I think if he'd lived past 42, he would've definitely passed by now. I don't think he had it in him to make it to his 80s.

Doesn't stop me from celebrating him every year though! 

• Like 1

Wow he would have been 85 years old yesterday! amazing. I can't believe how long he's been gone.

When Elvis lost his mother he was devastated. She was the love of his life and played a major role in his life. I don't think he would have lived longer either. His diet was terrible. The prescription drugs he took, not sleeping at night. It was taking a toll on his health and his life. It's hard when you're so talented and popular and then you get older and shit changes. His fans would still love him no matter what, but his life style sucked and no one could tell him to change nor did they want to, as long as the money was rolling in. Just another sad death that happened too soon.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I got one of his jackets from Lansky Bros the other day.  Not his actual one but one like it :lol:  I have a feeling I might look an absolute cunt in it but I got it anyway!

There's some really high quality and cool-ass looking Elvis apparel out there. Of course, one must possess the same swagger and bad-ass-ery that Elvis possessed in order to pull most of it off. 

13 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I got one of his jackets from Lansky Bros the other day.  Not his actual one but one like it :lol:  I have a feeling I might look an absolute cunt in it but I got it anyway!

that's ok Len, you look like a cunt in everything you wear. might as well wear that elvis jacket then :P

funny enough, everytime I wear a jacket that has a higher collar I can't help but feeling like Elvis. I know, I'm a complete prat for this, but subconsciously I always associated high collars with Elvis. but that's ok. Nothing wrong with feeling a bit confident, and why not use every little thing that helps, to that end. Some people drink to feel confident, some drive BMW's and others wear silly jackets. it's all pretty harmless.

• Haha 1

that's ok Len, you look like a cunt in everything you wear. might as well wear that elvis jacket then :P

Yeah, I rest easy in that knowledge man :lol:

funny enough, everytime I wear a jacket that has a higher collar I can't help but feeling like Elvis. I know, I'm a complete prat for this, but subconsciously I always associated high collars with Elvis. but that's ok. Nothing wrong with feeling a bit confident, and why not use every little thing that helps, to that end. Some people drink to feel confident, some drive BMW's and others wear silly jackets. it's all pretty harmless.

Being from a cold climate I tend to put my collars up on a lot of the shit I wear.  I have a bit of an obssession with leather jackets, I think I've got about 4 at the moment, with my eye on at least 3 more, its sort of my standard uniform. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Yeah, I rest easy in that knowledge man :lol:

Being from a cold climate I tend to put my collars up on a lot of the shit I wear.  I have a bit of an obssession with leather jackets, I think I've got about 4 at the moment, with my eye on at least 3 more, its sort of my standard uniform. 

I've got this great buffalo-leather jacket, in the style of indiana jones I used to wear in my 20s. never getting rid of it. amazingly, it still fits! (my wife thinks I look like a complete nerd in it but she obviously has no taste).

you'd be surprised if I told you the number of guys asking me to sell them this jacket (I said no). it's genuinly the dog's bollox.