ELVIS

action

HOLLYWOODJKT.jpg

Its that one.  See what I mean?  There's fuckin' proper potential to look an absolute cunt in that eh? :lol:  White, its a hard colour to pull off in suits and jackets and coats and that.  Its one of those things that could end up wearing you rather than you wearing it.  Its alright though I think, possibly, its as much grey as it is white, white is a bit fuckin'...white blazers y'know, end up looking like a fuckin' middle aged Sinatra :lol:  I'll be alright though, I think, maybe, little white t shirt and a pair of black jeans, I'll be alright.  I have a fuckin' tendency to do that y'know, see things on other people and think 'that looks the fuckin' bollocks' not realising that it looks the fuckin' bollocks on them cuz they're them :lol:  I'm learning though!

2 minutes ago, action said:

I've got this great buffalo-leather jacket, in the style of indiana jones I used to wear in my 20s. never getting rid of it. amazingly, it still fits! (my wife thinks I look like a complete nerd in it but she obviously has no taste).

you'd be surprised if I told you the number of guys asking me to sell them this jacket (I said no). it's genuinly the dog's bollox.

I ain't got like flash ones or anything, a Levis trucker jacket, this fuckin' collarless Pretty Green one that I REALLY like but ain't worn yet cuz its too cold for it and this other normal sort of racer jacket.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

HOLLYWOODJKT.jpg

Its that one.  See what I mean?  There's fuckin' proper potential to look an absolute cunt in that eh? :lol:  White, its a hard colour to pull off in suits and jackets and coats and that.  Its one of those things that could end up wearing you rather than you wearing it.  Its alright though I think, possibly, its as much grey as it is white, white is a bit fuckin'...white blazers y'know, end up looking like a fuckin' middle aged Sinatra :lol:  I'll be alright though, I think, maybe, little white t shirt and a pair of black jeans, I'll be alright.  I have a fuckin' tendency to do that y'know, see things on other people and think 'that looks the fuckin' bollocks' not realising that it looks the fuckin' bollocks on them cuz they're them :lol:  I'm learning though!

I ain't got like flash ones or anything, a Levis trucker jacket, this fuckin' collarless Pretty Green one that I REALLY like but ain't worn yet cuz its too cold for it and this other normal sort of racer jacket.

that genuinly looks like something a rich 80 year old pedophile would wear :lol:

also, why two bags on top of them? is that the compartment for the rohypnol or something :lol:

2 minutes ago, action said:

that genuinly looks like something a rich 80 year old pedophile would wear :lol:

also, why two bags on top of them? is that the compartment for the rohypnol or something :lol:

See what I mean?! :lol: You cunt, I’m never gonna wear it now!  

1 minute ago, action said:

hqdefault.jpg

:lol: is that you, Len?

No, thats my mum :lol: 

• Haha 1

On 12/14/2019 at 9:38 AM, Len Cnut said:

There's gotta be some more 50s stuff than whats about man. 

the soap opera General Hospital is having a convention at Graceland January 17 weekend. I really wish I could go, but to fly there and then buy the tickets and meet and greet and a hotel, too much money for right now.

• 3 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Oh fuck off, fuckin’ easily Elvis man, no contest.

woa woa, not so fast. :P

from 1968 - 1977, Elvis gave two concerts of stratospheric quality: the two 1968 comeback shows. But even as early as the 1969 vegas shows, he was starting to lose his edge. Compare "1969 vegas" jailhouse rock with "1968 comeback" jailhouse rock, and the drop of quality, of "edge", is already quite noticeable. There was a reason for this of course: too much shows and a vegas crowd that didn't move but still: gotta compare what is and not "what could have been".

As for freddie, you can argue that from 1970 to 1986, he didn't deliver a single dud of a concert. There may be nights were his voice was a bit "off" or "strained", but the edge was always there, it never really lessened, it just evolved and gotten even better as time went on.

Just now, action said:

from 1968 - 1977, Elvis gave two concerts of stratospheric quality: the two 1968 comeback shows. But even as early as the 1969 vegas shows, he was starting to lose his edge. Compare "1969 vegas" jailhouse rock with "1968 comeback" jailhouse rock, and the drop of quality, of "edge", is already quite noticeable. There was a reason for this of course: too much shows and a vegas crowd that didn't move but still: gotta compare what is and not "what could have been".

As for freddie, you can argue that from 1970 to 1986, he didn't deliver a single dud of a concert. There may be nights were his voice was a bit "off" or "strained", but the edge was always there, it never really lessened, it just evolved and gotten even better as time went on.

Huh? There were tons of excellent Elvis shows between 69 and 77. Just because he was bored to tears of singing Jailhouse Rock, Teddy Bear and so on, isn't a reflection on the overall quality of the show. 

In early 1970, his set list mostly changed to songs of complete heartbreak due to he & Priscilla being over for good. His delivery of songs like You Don't Have To Say You Love Me, You've Lost The Loving Feeling, Make The World Go Away, There Goes My Everything and Bridge Over Troubled Water was not only consistent but got better over time. 

On top of that, he was always on the look out for new and unknown songs that he could really put his all into. There are incredible gems like I've Lost You and It's Midnight included in that list. 

Elvis' voice only got better with time. He may not have put effort into singing Hound Dog, but he tore the shit out of songs that he was motivated by. Yes, he was doing too many shows, so there are some REALLY bad ones during that time span but there are some REALLY good ones too. You just have to look beyond the hits is all. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, action said:

I have zero regard for Queen and Freddie Mercury, I think they are the most overhyped band ever.  Freddie sang well, yes, in the sense of hitting the notes, depth etc but...he just didn't have an actual nice or interesting voice that sounded good to my ears, does that make sense?  There's loads of people that sing well, very well, exceptionally even...but if there's nothing to the voice, nothing behind it, nothing that draws you in then its just a big nothing to me.  Also, their songs were shite.  Also, the lyrics were terrible.  Musicianship you gotta give em their dues to a point but...the whole image was just a load of effette nonsense.  And I have nothing against effete, when its done well but...c'mon, a burly mustacioed poofter trying to 'bring ballet to the masses', give me a fuckin' break. 

Elvis, on the other hand, was God.  A cool, sharp dressing, amazing voice havin' country boy with a face that made you think he had an attitude problem, brilliant.  

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

I have zero regard for Queen and Freddie Mercury, I think they are the most overhyped band ever.  Freddie sang well, yes, in the sense of hitting the notes, depth etc but...he just didn't have an actual nice or interesting voice that sounded good to my ears, does that make sense?  There's loads of people that sing well, very well, exceptionally even...but if there's nothing to the voice, nothing behind it, nothing that draws you in then its just a big nothing to me.  Also, their songs were shite.  Also, the lyrics were terrible.  Musicianship you gotta give em their dues to a point but...the whole image was just a load of effette nonsense.  And I have nothing against effete, when its done well but...c'mon, a burly mustacioed poofter trying to 'bring ballet to the masses', give me a fuckin' break. 

Elvis, on the other hand, was God.  A cool, sharp dressing, amazing voice havin' country boy with a face that made you think he had an attitude problem, brilliant.  

you and russ are both right. there are lots of ways to look at this and compare them. quality of songs, showmanship, image, attitude, coolness.... it would take us too far to compare every aspect, so to make matters a bit more clear, I posted a song that they both sang in a live setting.

I'm undecided, which version is better. you can make an argument for elvis, or freddie and they would be equally acceptable.

elvis his career was actively destroyed by the colonel basically the moment he sang the last note of his comeback special. I'd like to hear his first concert after this (july 1969) but sadly no audio exists. I like to believe it was as badass as his comeback special. I can not look at his 1970 concerts and conclude that he was a better performer than freddie.

Just now, action said:

you and russ are both right. there are lots of ways to look at this and compare them. quality of songs, showmanship, image, attitude, coolness.... it would take us too far to compare every aspect, so to make matters a bit more clear, I posted a song that they both sang in a live setting.

I'm undecided, which version is better. you can make an argument for elvis, or freddie and they would be equally acceptable.

elvis his career was actively destroyed by the colonel basically the moment he sang the last note of his comeback special. I'd like to hear his first concert after this (july 1969) but sadly no audio exists. I like to believe it was as badass as his comeback special. I can not look at his 1970 concerts and conclude that he was a better performer than freddie.

Elvis, on that debut album alone, is top fuckin' 5 of any discussion to me.  Throw the entirity of his Sun Records recordings on there and its a wrap.  Elvis was so good and so cool that he made a load of those movie songs bang, songs that, in the hands of a lesser man, would've just been fluff. 

1 hour ago, action said:

Well......you can start by knowing that audio of  the entire 1969 concert season IS available lol. I get that you were only comparing that one song in particular, but to keep saying Elvis wasn't a good performer in the 70s is just incorrect. Have you looked into any of those songs I mentioned in my first reply? 

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Well......you can start by knowing that audio of  the entire 1969 concert season IS available lol. I get that you were only comparing that one song in particular, but to keep saying Elvis wasn't a good performer in the 70s is just incorrect. Have you looked into any of those songs I mentioned in my first reply? 

the entire 1969 season is not available. for example the most sought after concert is the july 31 1969 opening concert. this is the holy grail of presley concerts, and nobody seems to have heard it to this day. there is a bootleg available "opening night", but that is the august 3 concert, the sixth concert of the first season. it's quite good, I may add, but it's far from the first concert. By august 3rd he had already given 5 concerts, on a rate of two concerts a day so any spontaneity of the first appearance will have already lessened a bit. but we don't really know, as I said nobody has heard a recording of the july 31st concert.

I have also nowhere claimed that elvis was "not a good" performer in the 70s, (let alone "keep" saying) I said he wasn't as good as freddie.

I own the "on stage" album and I really like it. I also like all his 1970s studio albums and I think "unchained melody" is a little gem of a rendition

Edited by action

1 hour ago, action said:

the entire 1969 season is not available. for example the most sought after concert is the july 31 1969 opening concert. this is the holy grail of presley concerts, and nobody seems to have heard it to this day. there is a bootleg available "opening night", but that is the august 3 concert, the sixth concert of the first season. it's quite good, I may add, but it's far from the first concert. By august 3rd he had already given 5 concerts, on a rate of two concerts a day so any spontaneity of the first appearance will have already lessened a bit. but we don't really know, as I said nobody has heard a recording of the july 31st concert.

I have also nowhere claimed that elvis was "not a good" performer in the 70s, (let alone "keep" saying) I said he wasn't as good as freddie.

I own the "on stage" album and I really like it. I also like all his 1970s studio albums and I think "unchained melody" is a little gem of a rendition

I was assuming that show was included with the box set that has the rest of the 1969 season, my bad. 

I said "you keep saying it" because you started by posting the Jailhouse Rock video but then you moved on to saying Elvis (in the 70s) wasn't as good of a performer as Freddie. 

Elvis and Freddie are two completely different types of performers and singers. If you go on voice alone, Elvis never lost it. You just have to look past "the hits" to find that out. 

Elvis was an amazing performer throughout the 70s, when he wanted to be. If he was singing Hound Dog or Jailhouse Rock, he just didn't care enough to try. If he was singing pretty much anything else, he'd kill it. 

Again, there are shows that are a bad example. Particularly in the fall of 74. On the other hand there are great shows from 75, 76 and certainly 77. His voice was fantastic all the way to the very end. 

27 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I was assuming that show was included with the box set that has the rest of the 1969 season, my bad. 

I said "you keep saying it" because you started by posting the Jailhouse Rock video but then you moved on to saying Elvis (in the 70s) wasn't as good of a performer as Freddie. 

Elvis and Freddie are two completely different types of performers and singers. If you go on voice alone, Elvis never lost it. You just have to look past "the hits" to find that out. 

Elvis was an amazing performer throughout the 70s, when he wanted to be. If he was singing Hound Dog or Jailhouse Rock, he just didn't care enough to try. If he was singing pretty much anything else, he'd kill it. 

Again, there are shows that are a bad example. Particularly in the fall of 74. On the other hand there are great shows from 75, 76 and certainly 77. His voice was fantastic all the way to the very end. 

fair enough

live on stage from memphis (1974) is pretty great too

On 10.11.2019 at 2:20 AM, Fitha_whiskey said:

@RussTCB 3am I’ll buy you one

Probably the greatest song he's ever done.

Speaking of Elvis live there is another great CD from his New York shows in '72:

71vbGu8k3HL._SL1500_.jpg

and another cool 4 disc boxset featuring several Vegas shows from over the years (also includes some cuts from '56, but I prefer the '69/70's recordings):

514jHHLIRhL.jpg

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Disagree with every word. Songs are great, music is great and Freddie was great. There is something seriously wrong with people, who can't appreciate Queen.

14 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Disagree with every word. Songs are great, music is great and Freddie was great. There is something seriously wrong with people, who can't appreciate Queen.

'm burnin' through the sky, yeah
Two hundred degrees
That's why they call me Mister Fahrenheit
I'm traveling at the speed of light
I wanna make a supersonic man out of you

On the count of shite lyrics, I rest my case :lol: 

15 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

On the count of shite lyrics, I rest my case :lol: 

Makes all sense in the context of "Don't stop me now", for which you can also rest your case on the count of being one of their greatest songs. 

But the point really is, that they created so many great songs that there should be something for everyone.

2 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Probably the greatest song he's ever done.

Speaking of Elvis live there is another great CD from his New York shows in '72:

71vbGu8k3HL._SL1500_.jpg

and another cool 4 disc boxset featuring several Vegas shows from over the years (also includes some cuts from '56, but I prefer the '69/70's recordings):

514jHHLIRhL.jpg

Elvis At MSG was the first album I ever bought actually. I'll be talking about it on my podcast in a few weeks. 

I also bought that Vegas set the day it came out. There's some great stuff on there! 

• Like 2