Slash’s Playing is SIC Right now

I think the title means Slash is playing is sick, which could mean disgusting or he is violently ill while playing. In certain lingo it means excellent. Slash's playing is SIC, means Slash's playing is Spelled Incorrect. Sometimes people use it short hand because they don't hit the k key.

All joking aside, Slash is thriving due to Fortus.

• Like 1

Dunno what to think about it. Slash sometimes is really annoying (Wicked Stone 10 min noodlin') and sometimes he'd play a solo that makes me drop my jaw the same way he did with GNR classics when I heard it for the first time. His 'legend mode' is still there (how one can not dig The One You Loved Is Gone solos?), he simply needs a good backingtrack to bring it up. His blues solo spot during this leg of NITLT has to be one of the highlights of the show, it always reminds me how great Slash is in phrasing (especially the clean part). I said it multiple times by now, but I'll say it again: the day Slash puts out a blues record will be one of the best days not just for his fans but blues fans aswell.

And THAT one is THAT good...

Edited by Ralphelmo
  • Like 1

'91-94 drunk n' high peak Illusion Slash > '87-90 drunk n' high prime AFD Slash > '95-01 drunk n' high post-GNR prime wilderness Slash > '02-06 trying to get sober n' failing / end of prime VR Slash > 07 - 08 newly sober Libertad Slash> '09-15 Post-VR solo Slash > 2016-present  long past his prime uninspired nu-GnR Slash

• Like 2

19 hours ago, estranged_85 said:

You can hate me for saying this but... his playing sounded better when he was drunk or on drugs in the 90s😆 I'm NOT pro drugs but he did have more feel to it.. or it was just that he was younger and felt more connected to the songs he created.. idk.. just speculations 🙂

lmao that's exactly what i think everytime i see him shredding off the road during almost every song

"how can this guy sound better when he was younger and drugged to the bones... he was supposed to sound better with experience and sobriety for god's sake" :lol:

The only time I've actually enjoyed Slash's playing during NITL, after the reunion novelty wore off, was the riff he added to Madagascar and the blues solo spot he's had since the Palladium gig. Everything else is just going through the motions (but of course he isn't exactly the only one guilty of that).

On 11/1/2019 at 5:23 PM, Gunsdrummer63 said:

Is there anything he’s done with Myles that comes close to that? 

I thought w were talking about his live playing right now, but to reference your question.. Yes.. Foor me anyway..  I thought Slash was absolutely phenomenal on WOF.. Anastasia might be my favorite Slash song outside of Guns..  There are other songs I dig as well. 

41 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I thought w were talking about his live playing right now, but to reference your question.. Yes.. Foor me anyway..  I thought Slash was absolutely phenomenal on WOF.. Anastasia might be my favorite Slash song outside of Guns..  There are other songs I dig as well. 

Technically these songs are played live? I’m trying lol 

yes Anastasia is great as is WOF but live extended solos occasionally get boring? Some days I can listen to him playing wicked stone for 10 minutes. Other days I respect it of course 

On 11/1/2019 at 10:50 AM, MildlyArtistic said:

On the flip side, I feel like Slash noodles aimlessly way too often now. He seems to focus more on playing fast during solos instead of in ways that evoke emotion.

On 11/1/2019 at 11:19 AM, Azifwekare said:

The way he plays now is the complete opposite of what made him a legend

Absolutely.  Agreed 100%.  It's a let down really.

Slash is playing better than ever - He carry’s The Band night in night out and had for years including the early days 

If you don’t want 10 minute or 20 minute jams by the man in the top hat u went to the wrong gig 

Wicked Stone And Wof are epic just like him playing “ feelings “ now on his improv solo during the NITL gig 

Bucketshit sucked - Fink sucked - Ashba sucked big time and Richard is s nice compliment to Slash’s Playing - I’ve never heard anything that Richard wrote as a original impressive at all 

Bumblefoot was the only legit guitar player -Song writer of the guitar players on the Axl Rose Experience tours 

Slash is the Show - And one of the best guitarists on the planet 

if you think he is worse now you have never played a instrument in your life 

and Btw Slash’s Playing is sic as fuck 

I am Day 1 Slash fan I like his playing as of today better than ever 

• Haha 1

I appreciate the videos you guys are putting here :)

On 01/11/2019 at 6:15 PM, Doufc said:

Huge slash fan hes a massive reason why I play guitar such a cool guy and hes still game in my opinion. But to me he seems to have lost a bit of his signature tone. Not sure if its the new marshall amps or having his tech guy control his effects or the new gibsons but it all sounds more reverby and processed to me but then they do say tone is all in the fingers anyway. 

Me too, he and Hendrix were the reason that made me try to play. And for a very long time (20 years), I kinda lost this influence and stopped to play altogether. Since I started again last year, I've been trying to learn a bunch of his solos and I'm a lot more found of his playing now than ever.

Not sure about what you said about his tone. He uses custom shop Gibsons, those are not the regular "new models" from before 2019 with all that weight relief and coil-tap stuff. His Marshall amp is a re-issue I guess? Can't remember. But they dont mic an amp like they used to - his cabinets are on stage only when he needs the feedback sustain.

On 01/11/2019 at 7:06 PM, adamsapple said:

Sloppy and blant, way too much noodling for a guitarist of his talent, taking away from the tone and feel that made him famous. On the other hand I can't blame him. If I had to play the same songs in the exact same order night after night I'd probably be a little bored too. If they ever come up with new songs it will be interesting to see what he comes up with. As of now - boring as fuck.

He does come up with new songs with his band. I dont think his noodling has anything to do with the setlist. 

3 hours ago, TMAC20 said:

Slash is playing better than ever - He carry’s The Band night in night out and had for years including the early days 

If you don’t want 10 minute or 20 minute jams by the man in the top hat u went to the wrong gig 

Wicked Stone And Wof are epic just like him playing “ feelings “ now on his improv solo during the NITL gig 

Bucketshit sucked - Fink sucked - Ashba sucked big time and Richard is s nice compliment to Slash’s Playing - I’ve never heard anything that Richard wrote as a original impressive at all 

Bumblefoot was the only legit guitar player -Song writer of the guitar players on the Axl Rose Experience tours 

Slash is the Show - And one of the best guitarists on the planet 

if you think he is worse now you have never played a instrument in your life 

and Btw Slash’s Playing is sic as fuck 

I am Day 1 Slash fan I like his playing as of today better than ever 

lol ok

"Slash's playing is SIC right now" (sic) :monkey:

I think he goes for speed a lot more now and that the longer held notes that are part of his signature style were a product of being in an altered state. Its like his shyness prevents him from holding those notes now almost (if that makes any sense). Thing is that he maintains some really bad habits that counter act his increased speed. He isnt very fluid on his neck-hand when changing positions. The guitars weight is sometimes at least partially supported by his palm as he's moving up or down the neck. So you see him making these almost exaggerated hand movements 'around' the fact that his left palm is anchoring the guitar. Big no-no. It's like 'shred-shred-shred-hiccup, shred-shred-shred-hiccup' - the "hiccup" being each time he changes position. So it's not as fluid as it could be. That alone is why his Crazy Train solo wasnt so well received, in my assessment at least.

I havenet listened to his solo section at the shows since 2016 tbh though.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ralphelmo said:

His guitar wasn't in tune that day, Stevie T. explained it really well though, that solo was supposed to sound like this: 

Ive seen that - love Stevie T! I dont disagree with any of his assessment, so I guess I misspoke. But the pic of Slash in the thumbnail is exactly what Im talking about - he seems to have some of the weight on his left palm. And in Slashs case, imo, this is what causes him some fluidity issues. 

Edited by soon

On 11/1/2019 at 11:50 AM, MildlyArtistic said:

On the flip side, I feel like Slash noodles aimlessly way too often now. He seems to focus more on playing fast during solos instead of in ways that evoke emotion.

Name me a great guitar player that doesn’t noodle ? 

That’s why they r there for -To show off the chops - Slash has been playing fast since Day 1 - Uyi tour he was already shred city - that’s  called improving on your instrument - 

Have u heard the Riffs and Solos from Snakepit and Smkc since he left Guns - Snakepit was writtten for Guns - Would have been Epic with Axl Rose but he chose to listen to a little very little talented band such as NIN instead 

• Haha 1

Nah, Slash has been playing like shit for the last couple of years. It sounds to me like he's just playing the scales and shredding his way through everything, especially This I Love. He ruined that song. Also, Axl has had his nights/entire tour legs but he's been great vocally most of the tour.

And before you ask me, I've been playing guitar for six years and singing for 3. 

• Like 1

I’ve been playing for 25 years 

I love Axl But lets be real - 50 percent of the time he sounds like dog shit and some times he don’t - In the studio they can “ create his voice for a killer album “ 

as far as Slash goes he is on another level with his playing - He can go half ass and be better than most - but he never goes half ass he goes 💯💯💯

What kind of music you play man @Gibson_Guy87

Best of luck 

For the record, I think Slash pretty much carries GNR now. I think his playing and tone is just fine. Its faster than it used to be, but he was pretty Increadible when I saw the band in 2016 and 2017. I havent been to a GNR show in a few years, so I cant speak for the moment. 

I just thinn its ridicolous to shit on guys like Finck and Bucket just to prop Slash up, though. You can dislike the songwriting on Chinese all you want, but there is some very inspired lead guitar work on it.

• Like 1