I had a drummer listen and play to drumless versions of "Better" (as well as other Chinese-era tracks), never having heard the originals

52 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

They sound good!

Did the mystery drummer enjoy the songs?

TWAT - he said this song was awesome, and that the guitar solo was epic

Prostitute - said it was a really cool song!, and he got Mars Volta vibes from it, mainly from the vocals. After he heard both Josh and Brains drums on the original(s), he said he thought the double kick drum part was sweet, "I’m not huge on the faster beat with it though tbh, i kinda preferred a slower heavier beat; i was going for more of a prog style with the drums where these versions sound more rock"

I didn't ask him what he thought of Better

Edited by Mendez
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

36 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

Sounds pretty good. Is this part of the “project” to add to the leaked tracks? 

From the poster of the least constructive statement in this thread this far.

No  was just curious how a different drummer would drum to the guitar parts. I have 2 other tracks

Edited by Mendez

TWAT sounds really really cool. His idea for Robin's solo was cool, I just wish he had a more epic drum fill in there. It's interesting how the main beat sounds a lot like the original sometimes. Guess the other instruments make the lead for him to get the idea.

Prostitute was very strange with the slower drum and the soft snare attack threw me off hahaha. It's cool to hear though.

22 hours ago, Mendez said:

Let me know what you think!

Wow. Hearing Prostitute like that, it just never occurred to me without the drum loops/beats, how different it could or would have sounded! 

It's interesting. At first it felt like the song lost some energy without the tempo of the the original drums, but it brings out more of the guitar with how he played it, very well.... Makes it more of a slow burner, a good thing and sounds pretty great when it goes heavy. 

See if he will do The Blues or something. Maybe Shacklers Revenge? 

On 11/2/2019 at 8:28 PM, Mendez said:

TWAT - he said this song was awesome, and that the guitar solo was epic

Prostitute - said it was a really cool song!, and he got Mars Volta vibes from it, mainly from the vocals. After he heard both Josh and Brains drums on the original(s), he said he thought the double kick drum part was sweet, "I’m not huge on the faster beat with it though tbh, i kinda preferred a slower heavier beat; i was going for more of a prog style with the drums where these versions sound more rock"

I didn't ask him what he thought of Better

1 hour ago, Estrangedfx said:

Also, did you ever let him hear the originals after he layed down his own drums? It'd be cool to hear his opinion on the difference in approach, especially Prostitute. 

See above

He did Shackler's Revenge. He listened and played to an instrumental of only Buckethead's rhythm guitars with no metronome or anything. (to get a better idea of what he should play rhythmically, since the final product is already a convoluted mishmash of stuff)

Since it was an instrumental, and the verse palm muted riff is supposed to be off rhythm from the drums, his initial instinct was to play along it ON rhythm (which then resulted in a more abrupt change into the verse since it essentially cut off part of the measure, making the last bar 7/4). When I later showed him that the guitar part was actually offbeat, his mind had already set himself to only play in sync with the guitar, and was very adamant about playing it in sync with the guitar, saying

"sounded really weird when it came in with the guitar, sounded out of sync I think its much more impactful when the drums and guitar are on time with eachother. Just sounds better in general"

"i dont think i want to play that, wouldn’t feel right. sounds way too unnatural for me, so you can just shift it when you have the stems and it will sound good still"

So I then chopped and lined up what he sent me to the structure of the original song (made it off beat), but I also made a version of what he thought would sound better

Both versions have have Bumblefoot's parts reduced, so it has more room to breathe

His thoughts of the instrumental guitars"

"its a very strange song haha"

His thoughts on the original drums

"it sounds awesome, like a whole different song. I definitely think its better than what i played. i liked that disco beat"

Edited by Mendez