When did they write the final version of Rocket Queen?

If you listen to early 1986 recordings of Rocket Queen, the structure of the outro is different to the final AFD version. It's simpler, and begins with the three descending notes progression that only appears later in the final AFD version. It can be heard on e.g Music Machine '86 and the demos from that era.

So there must have been a specific gig where the AFD version of the outro was first played. 

Can anyone deduce when that was?

I just tried to research this and came up with nothing. I thought the 86 version of the song was good, but LOVE the song on AFD. I think the last 3 minutes with that bridge is one of the best pieces of music ever written. I'm curious as to to how they thought of that as well. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I always assumed changes like that were made while recording Appetite.. Frr other songs as well. Maybe suggestion made by producers?

That's very possible yeah, though the band were generally resistant to outsiders suggestions weren't they. Niven got them to take out the second "And when you're high.." from WTTJ though ..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nice Boy said:

If you listen to early 1986 recordings of Rocket Queen, the structure of the outro is different to the final AFD version. It's simpler, and begins with the three descending notes progression that only appears later in the final AFD version. It can be heard on e.g Music Machine '86 and the demos from that era.

So there must have been a specific gig where the AFD version of the outro was first played. 

Can anyone deduce when that was?

I would guess producers. As far as I remember it was also suggested that they speed up Jungle and some other songs, cause in reality those demos of some of the songs are just too slow.

11 hours ago, PirateRadio said:

Don’t know how they did it, but they pulled 10 rabbits out of their asses with that album. 

I'd say all 12 songs.. The album is so good that it might overshadow a couple songs. I am assuming you left out Think About You and Anything Goes. I personally love both of those songs. If I ranked the whole album neither would be at the bottom of my list.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

On the B-Side of the Rocket Queen / Patience Vinyl there is an interview with Axl. Been a while since I listened to it but he says the lyrics and outro were written by Izzy, can't remember if specific dates were mentioned. Must dig it out and give it another listen. 

I reckon this is the interview you talk about: http://www.a-4-d.com/t3210-1989-06-dd-patience-cd-single-w-axl-rose-interview

We might only have parts of the interview in our database (http://www.a-4-d.com/t2861-interview-and-article-index). If you got the whole thingy, and they talk about RQ there, then send me a PM.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

On the B-Side of the Rocket Queen / Patience Vinyl there is an interview with Axl. Been a while since I listened to it but he says the lyrics and outro were written by Izzy, can't remember if specific dates were mentioned. Must dig it out and give it another listen. 

I was looking at that single on Ebay the other day.. Now it looks like I will need to buy it

6 hours ago, Creed said:

the same with UYI. the final versions of NR, Kohd and Don't Cry are top notch.

KOHD really? I think the raw 80's live versions are so much better than the one that made the album. Even polished like this it's a great song but the phone call and the gospel choir turned it into a turd.

• Like 3

On 11/7/2019 at 8:52 PM, SoulMonster said:
On 11/7/2019 at 8:35 PM, Mustard Tiger said:

I reckon this is the interview you talk about: http://www.a-4-d.com/t3210-1989-06-dd-patience-cd-single-w-axl-rose-interview

We might only have parts of the interview in our database (http://www.a-4-d.com/t2861-interview-and-article-index). If you got the whole thingy, and they talk about RQ there, then send me a PM.

I'm positive that it's the full interview we have.

Axl talks only about Patience, saying that Izzy wrote most of the lyrics except for the outro. Maybe that's what @Mustard Tiger remembers.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2019 at 6:33 AM, Tom-Ass said:

I'd say all 12 songs.. The album is so good that it might overshadow a couple songs. I am assuming you left out Think About You and Anything Goes. I personally love both of those songs. If I ranked the whole album neither would be at the bottom of my list.

My least favorite — You’re Crazy. Because the acoustic version is one of my all time favs. 

I actually like TAY and AG. But I like Shotgun Blues too... 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PirateRadio said:

My least favorite — You’re Crazy. Because the acoustic version is one of my all time favs. 

I actually like TAY and AG. But I like Shotgun Blues too... 

Same! You're Crazy ranks #12 on Appetite for me too as well. I like it but the slow tempo LIES ad Live Era version are far superior..  I LOVE Think About You and Anything Goes is a good song as well..  There isn't a bad song in Appetite.I am also with you on Shotgun Blues.  \m/  Might as well throw Get In the Ring in there as a song I really like that people shit on around here too. 

• GNFNR 1

On 11/7/2019 at 2:12 PM, Free Bird said:

KOHD really? I think the raw 80's live versions are so much better than the one that made the album. Even polished like this it's a great song but the phone call and the gospel choir turned it into a turd.

Completely agree about the earlier live versions - far superior. And as great as NR ended up, I would have preferred it to be an orchestra free, more acoustic beginning...

On 08/11/2019 at 8:37 PM, Blackstar said:

I'm positive that it's the full interview we have.

Axl talks only about Patience, saying that Izzy wrote most of the lyrics except for the outro. Maybe that's what @Mustard Tiger remembers.

That could well be it. I've been out of action the last few days but I'll give the disk a listen tonight and double check

• Like 1