GNRs Slash & Duff On New Ozzy Album

57 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Zakk needs to stop doing the pinch harmonics after EVERY note. He just sounds like a one trick pony nowdays. 

Oh I'm not even a fan of Zakk, I love his early stuff but I haven't really enjoyed his playing since the first BLS record / pride and glory. Personally think he hit a rut, a high level rut! but a rut nonetheless! 

Regardless he would have made the new album better, he still has a great feel when playing rhythm... when he does pinch all over the place! :D 

19 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Con - Andrew Watt. I'm sure he is a lovely guy, and i'm sure he has ideas as a producer. As the producer for the Ozzy record I think he failed to get performances out of Ozzy and relied way too much on vocal processing to cover things up.

Ozzy has never been a good singer and has always relied on vocal processing. He's snorted half of David Attenboroughs wildlife back catalogue, and is now a pensioner with parkinsons. I'm not sure you can blame Andrew Watt for failing to get performances from Ozzy...!

3 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Ozzy has never been a good singer and has always relied on vocal processing. He's snorted half of David Attenboroughs wildlife back catalogue, and is now a pensioner with parkinsons. I'm not sure you can blame Andrew Watt for failing to get performances from Ozzy...!

It's a combination of necessity and a stylistic choice. Ozzy is still able to sing to some quality, he just can't do it to a consistent standard live. I have heard him as recent as 2018 sounding relatively ok (in parts of his set). I think had Andrew worked the melodies and keys a bit more to Ozzys current abilities, he wouldn't have had to rely on processing as much.

Ozzy has always enhanced his voice, going as far back as the late 80s with live performance, and his later day albums have been been rife with it... this is just the absolute pinnacle of it so far. 

I don't know, there are pensioner singers like Coverdale out there who can no longer hit the heigh notes of their youth, yet with a producer and know how they write new songs that they can sing now, and it doesn't sound heavily processed (a judgement from Forevermore and the good to be bad albums). 

Anyway, I'm not 100% blaming Andrew for it, but it does sound lazy, and is a usual trait of modern pop producers.

3 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Ozzy has parkinsons, Correct

Ozzy has been a drug addict his whole life, Correct

Ozzy has always relied on vocal processing, Correct

Ozzy's wife blah, Ozzy's life blah blah, Correct

BUT

Ozzy still delivers new quality music & you know what? "Ozzy" is still an artist not a nostalgia act brand.

Period.

Edited by ©GnrPersia
  • Like 4

I gave this album a good loud listen in my car today, and while I agree with the comments about the overall fuzzy mix and tones of the guitars on the album, I think all the tracks up to the stupidly silly Eat Me, are quite good. I’d even go as far as saying they’re quite strong and in some moments really great!
That killer bass groove in All My Life is just fantastic. It’s like something from No More Tears.

I still think the Post Malone clunkers finishing out the album are a poor choice to include, but the rest of the album (aside from Eat Me and the even dumber Scary Little Green Men) makes this one of my favourite Ozzy albums since Ozzmosis. 

• Like 2

I fully agree that Watts was too focused on speed and not on performance and quality. Because in the clip of Slash recording his solo, found somewhere in this thread, Watts declares 'Thats the take!' and Slash responds 'Well, we're getting there.' The final solo is better than the one Watts wanted to settle on.

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Just saw an article where Ozzy says since he's cancelled his tour, he wants to do another album within a month. That would be awesome. 

Side note-

As one of the world's biggest fans of Chinese Democracy, I feel the need to say this: Chinese Democracy is in no way, shape or form "better than anything Ozzy ever released". 

Read that too. And sorry to disappoint those that are not Watt fans but he wants him back on board for a album next month. Not sure if duff and chad will be involved on this new upcoming album.

• Like 1

Hilarious that the Ozzy thread is the best thread on a GNR main discussions page :D 

As for Ozzy doing another record with Andrew next month, I say great! I think it's class that Ozzy is motivated to work and write songs... If he gets a good team of musicians that have chemistry I also think that a good record is possible. Hopefully Zakk gets a cameo. Or Jake E lee! Let's get Ozzy back in glittery sequins! 

24 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Hilarious that the Ozzy thread is the best thread on a GNR main discussions page :D 

As for Ozzy doing another record with Andrew next month, I say great! I think it's class that Ozzy is motivated to work and write songs... If he gets a good team of musicians that have chemistry I also think that a good record is possible. Hopefully Zakk gets a cameo. Or Jake E lee! Let's get Ozzy back in glittery sequins! 

Ozzy just shows how an artist is supposed to behave and please his fans by releasing albums while tours are on breaks. Isn't that right @Dexter @Fernando

57 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

It would be cool if all of Ozzys (still breathing) guitarists would be featured on an album, including Tony! 

I was just thinking the same thing. I bet there would be even be a way to get a little Randy on there if they have any demos laying around or anything. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Just saw an article where Ozzy says since he's cancelled his tour, he wants to do another album within a month. That would be awesome. 

Side note-

As one of the world's biggest fans of Chinese Democracy, I feel the need to say this: Chinese Democracy is in no way, shape or form "better than anything Ozzy ever released". 

Well, it was my opinion. Ozzy has pretty much been straight-up simple 4/4 heavy metal. Nothing he has released has the complexity of CD. 

3 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Firstly this is of course a matter of opinion

Secondly the point remains Axl as an artist seems uninterested.

Exactly that's why I said it's my opinion :shrugs:

4 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Well, it was my opinion. Ozzy has pretty much been straight-up simple 4/4 heavy metal. Nothing he has released has the complexity of CD. 

CD being "complex" doesn't make it a better album. There's tons of complex music music that's not anywhere near as good as some of the music Ozzy has put out. 

Again, this is coming from a person who absolutely loves CD. Loving the album doesn't mean anything that's different from it can't be just as good or better. 

Hell... I'd submit that the Ozzy track "Mr. Tinkertrain" alone is better than anything on CD outside of maybe Better or TWaT. 

• Like 1

Just now, RussTCB said:

CD being "complex" doesn't make it a better album. There's tons of complex music music that's not anywhere near as good as some of the music Ozzy has put out. 

Again, this is coming from a person who absolutely loves CD. Loving the album doesn't mean anything that's different from it can't be just as good or better. 

Hell... I'd submit that the Ozzy track "Mr. Tinkertrain" alone is better than anything on CD outside of maybe Better or TWaT. 

Maybe it's just me. But I always like complex music over straight forward simple 4/4 time signatures. Plus i am also Guitarplayer and not just a music fan so liking complex signatures and melodies is my thing

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I'll have to check out that song!

I also 100% agree.

I'd also point out to the person saying Ozzy isn't complex, that Ozzy has lots of different styles of rock on his albums. Check out the song revelation mother earth, for a quick example. 

I love CD and to this day there are nearly always some CD songs in my playlists, but I'd never bother with an argument that puts it against other peoples albums, especially not albums as significant as Blizzard of Oz, Diary of a madman or no more tears. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Maybe it's just me. But I always like complex music over straight forward simple 4/4 time signatures. Plus i am also Guitarplayer and not just a music fan so liking complex signatures and melodies is my thing

Many of us on here are musicians. Actually, many of the more talented musicians on here see Chinese as less "complex" and more "way over blown". 

Again though, that one Ozzy track (Mr. Tinkertrain) is far from "simple" as you incorrectly refer to it. 

15 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Yeah but complex doesn´t mean shit.

AC/DC is as straight forward as it gets, and it's awesome. You have a lot of virtuosos artists that sucks. It´s a matter of if a song is good or not, not the level of complexity

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Many of us on here are musicians. Actually, many of the more talented musicians on here see Chinese as less "complex" and more "way over blown". 

Again though, that one Ozzy track (Mr. Tinkertrain) is far from "simple" as you incorrectly refer to it. 

Well, that's not what I see. I have been playing guitar for 14 years and I still am learning new stuff from the record. I am a progressive music kind of person.

What some see as overblown I see as complex and musically challenging and that's good. Everybody sees things differently. That's how I see and no one is wrong. I view CD the same way I view the Wall and Dark Side Of The Moon and And Justice For All

Edited by Gibsonfender2323

21 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Russ, Mr Tinkertrain is not a good example imo of great Ozzy songs to rival the best of CD. Not only has it got the gayest song title known to man, it's corny as fuck and one of the weakest album openers of his career! Just my opinion of course...

Ozzy solo songs better than most of CD? Hmmm, try Thunder Underground, Life Won't Wait, Diary Of A Madman, S.A.T.O., Gets Me Through, The Liar, Perry Mason, Time, No More Tears, See You On The Other Side and Over The Mountain for starters.

Edited by Towelie

8 hours ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Ozzy has parkinsons, Correct

Ozzy has been a drug addict his whole life, Correct

Ozzy has always relied on vocal processing, Correct

Ozzy's wife blah, Ozzy's life blah blah, Correct

BUT

Ozzy still delivers new quality music & you know what? "Ozzy" is still an artist not a nostalgia act brand.

Period.

No vocal processing on the first few sabbath albums. 

On 2/24/2020 at 4:27 AM, Tom2112 said:

Con - Andrew Watt. I'm sure he is a lovely guy, and i'm sure he has ideas as a producer. As the producer for the Ozzy record I think he failed to get performances out of Ozzy and relied way too much on vocal processing to cover things up. I hate to beat up the guy, and I have been pretty critical. I just can't see a follow up record and this just screams of "let's just do something, it doesn't need to be great", this is going out with a whimper. 

Con - The guitar playing. Both the rhythm and solos so far on the album are just so blah! Ozzy has always released songs with great guitar. Even when the song was a bit meh, there was still great guitar moments to lift things.  I was never a fan of Andrew when he played with Glenn Hughes, thought his soloing and riff ideas were a bit vanilla... never could understand the attraction, and that has carried across into this new record. The guitar tones sound like default patches from Garageband. Guitar tone, and performances from everything I've heard so far! which seems to be about 50% of the record are far from what I'd consider great. The Slash solo is included in that, I don't think what he did was close to his best work.

Con - No Zakk Wylde. Why wasn't he used in some way or another? Why get all these guest guitar players and NOT at least have Zakk appear on one bit of the music? astonishing! Send him a file, have him record something and send it back! Even if someone is on tour it is so incredibly easy to record these days. i think the answer to why, is that the Osbournes did not want Zakk on the record. The next question is why fire Gus G, rehire Zakk and then say "Zakks fine for the road, but not for my album". Get a producer get them to sit with Zakk and have him to play what you want from him. If you leave Zakk to own devices it's going to sound like BLS, but a proper producer can navigate that. 

Pro - Ozzy made a new record and he seems to like it, and I'm sure some of his fanbase are enjoying it too! I think that outweighs the negatives... even if there's not half a much to say about it. On the balance, welfare of the artists you like is important too, kinda like St anger for Metallica, not a great record! but essential for that time. Ozzy seems genuinely pleased with the record, even if we have seen him do remarkable u-turns on what he likes and dislikes before :D 

7 hours ago, soon said:

I fully agree that Watts was too focused on speed and not on performance and quality. Because in the clip of Slash recording his solo, found somewhere in this thread, Watts declares 'Thats the take!' and Slash responds 'Well, we're getting there.' The final solo is better than the one Watts wanted to settle on.

6 hours ago, Creed said:

Yeah. Just the mix / production value sucks. With a top notch mix it would have been a very solid rock album. Probably one of the best in the last years.

I agree with everything above. I finally listened to it a few times in the car. Some of the songs are cool and it's not bad but it's way overproduced and I really wish they had gotten a proper metal guitarist not Andrew "I'm Randy Rhoads in 2019" Watt. The whole record sounds like him pretending he's in Black Sabbath. If he's producing another Ozzy record then I hope Sharon or someone puts their foot down and demands another guitarist.

I agree that it sounds rushed and that Watt should've taken his time to make everything right, instead of bragging about writing everything in 4 days.

2 hours ago, El Guapo said:

It would be cool if all of Ozzys (still breathing) guitarists would be featured on an album, including Tony! 

Yeah I wish they had done that. No reason why they can't get Tony for a few songs.

1 hour ago, Manfisman said:

Yeah but complex doesn´t mean shit.

AC/DC is as straight forward as it gets, and it's awesome. You have a lot of virtuosos artists that sucks. It´s a matter of if a song is good or not, not the level of complexity

I agree. 

1 hour ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Well, that's not what I see. I have been playing guitar for 14 years and I still am learning new stuff from the record. I am a progressive music kind of person.

What some see as overblown I see as complex and musically challenging and that's good. Everybody sees things differently. That's how I see and no one is wrong. I view CD the same way I view the Wall and Dark Side Of The Moon and And Justice For All

You know that Russ is a huge Pink Floyd fan right?