GNRs Slash & Duff On New Ozzy Album

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

Russ, Mr Tinkertrain is not a good example imo of great Ozzy songs to rival the best of CD. Not only has it got the gayest song title known to man, it's corny as fuck and one of the weakest album openers of his career! Just my opinion of course...

Ozzy solo songs better than most of CD? Hmmm, try Thunder Underground, Life Won't Wait, Diary Of A Madman, S.A.T.O., Gets Me Through, The Liar, Perry Mason, Time, No More Tears, See You On The Other Side and Over The Mountain for starters.

Couldn't disagree more, but to each their own and all that. 

5 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I shall give it another listen seeing as you rate it so highly, but you gotta admit, Mr Tinkertrain is an awful name for a rock song! :lol:

I was going to say this below:

3 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

It's about a pedophile..pretty spot on for that if you ask me.

I only didn't like 1 song (Today Is The End), and it'll grow on me I think. His best since No More Tears imo. He really needed to do something different instead of doing the same old thing with Zakk, it yielded so much better, inspired songs. But I do hope Zakk is on the next album somehow, maybe he too is gonna learn something from his album and help write better songs than he has the before. This album sounds really "fresh"

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I only didn't like 1 song (Today Is The End), and it'll grow on me I think. His best since No More Tears imo. He really needed to do something different instead of doing the same old thing with Zakk, it yielded so much better, inspired songs. But I do hope Zakk is on the next album somehow, maybe he too is gonna learn something from his album and help write better songs than he has the before. This album sounds really "fresh"

I am going to have to sit down and listen to the whole thing, I have heard the majority, but for balance I'll listen to the rest of it! People are raving about it, so maybe I've missed something? 

2 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Yeah man i agree, i mean Zakk hasn't really released anything decent recently since Mafia, and with Ozzy since Ozzmosis...

This really sounds fresh, modern and its Ozzy not Ozzy and Zakk.

I love Zakk and all but whats right is right, BOS II had some 2 or 3 tracks ok, but apart from that...

On 23.2.2020 at 10:41 PM, Gibsonfender2323 said:

I love how it’s supposed to be a topic about Slash and Duff on the new Ozzy Abum but it’s the same old bitchfest about how GNR don’t have a new album:facepalm:

Chinese Democracy is better then anything Ozzy has released. Most of Ozzys stuff is great heavy metal but lacks emotion and soul

"13" shits all over CD

The album is definitely a grower. I'm at a point where the only song I feel a bit iffy about is Holy for Tonight. And I'm starting to enjoy it too. Even the last song with Post Malone, This Is a Raid, sounds good. I like that there are melancholic songs (Ordinary Man, Under the Graveyard), some heavy songs (Goodbye, Today Is the End) and some songs that are bonkers (Scary Little Green Men, Eat Me). It's nice to have variety. Especially when it works this well together.

The production could be a little different, mainly the mix could be a little less clean and more chunky/dirty maybe. But the melodies are strong and the music is good.

I think the overall quality of the album is surprisingly good. I myself am very pleased with it.

Edited by jekylhyde
  • Like 2

On 2/25/2020 at 11:34 PM, MaskingApathy said:

I do agree with that, despite what I said earlier about Andrew Watt's producing. I'm liking it more and more as I listen to it.

Yeah man, totally... i mean

On my Ozzy playlist i have 8 songs from this album, only ozzmosis comes close with 6....

I dig it, all songs sound different from one another... maybe thats why Ozzy wanted a different lineup

• Like 1

On 25/02/2020 at 11:10 AM, ©GnrPersia said:

Ozzy has parkinsons, Correct

Ozzy has been a drug addict his whole life, Correct

Ozzy has always relied on vocal processing, Correct

Ozzy's wife blah, Ozzy's life blah blah, Correct

BUT

Ozzy still delivers new quality music & you know what? "Ozzy" is still an artist not a nostalgia act brand.

Period.

I'm not sure if you were responding to previous peoples posts as well as mine, but at no point did I mention anything about Sharon, the quality of Ozzy's music, or him being a nostalgia act. I actually love Ozzy and have all his stuff and BS stuff, and think the new album is very good*. I was merely pointing out that I don't think you can blame Andrew Watt for processing Ozzy's vocals, when they've been processed for 20+ years over countless albums and aren't going to age like a fine wine.

*I've listened to the album now a few times now (on crappy speakers at work) and it is a LOT better than I was expecting and I really like it, with the exception of the two awful rap songs. So 9 of the songs are great. I don't get the over-produced comments (might be my speakers) but if these comments refer to a digitised sound I think this is partly a sign of the times unfortunately. Bring back room mics and early Zep style sounds all day please.

I agree about the guitarist comments - some better solos etc would have been good, although funnily enough I actually really liked California Breed.

Edit:

Actually, re-reading your post (and the subsequent few pages) I think you were probably having a pop at GnR, not my comment. All good.

Edited by ToonGuns
Edit

2 hours ago, moreblack said:

That was his last great album. It's been mediocre paint by numbers that's failed to live up since. I can't name you a memorable song he's done after No More Tears.

Life Won't Wait was a great track, as was Time. Scream was an underrated album. Haven't heard the new one yet, but I'd say Under The Graveyard is better than half of No More Tears.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Towelie said:

Life Won't Wait was a great track, as was Time. Scream was an underrated album. Haven't heard the new one yet, but I'd say Under The Graveyard is better than half of No More Tears.

Don't know which half because that one didn't do much for me. It's very basic, that one kind of embodies the cliche approach to writing he's taken over the last couple decades.

On 2/25/2020 at 10:31 PM, RussTCB said:

I was going to say this below:

Okay, public apology time. I sincerely apologize to @RussTCB. I gave Mr Tinkertrain another listen and it really opened up to me. I never knew what the subject matter was before, I generally don't pay much attention to lyrics unless someone points them out to me. The dark subject matter made me listen to it in a whole new light. The song is creepy asf (in a good, disturbing way!).

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Okay, public apology time. I sincerely apologize to @RussTCB. I gave Mr Tinkertrain another listen and it really opened up to me. I never knew what the subject matter was before, I generally don't pay much attention to lyrics unless someone points them out to me. The dark subject matter made me listen to it in a whole new light. The song is creepy asf (in a good, disturbing way!).

No apology needed, but I'm SO glad you took another listen and liked it! It's such a monster of an alvun opener to me. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

No apology needed, but I'm SO glad you took another listen and liked it! It's such a monster of an alvun opener to me. 

I can't believe I didn't know what it was about, despite having heard it plenty over the years. I really should start paying more attention to lyrics. 

It's very unsettling hearing him sing from the perspective of a pedophile! Not something I imagine many people would have the guts to do.

• Like 1