GNRs Slash & Duff On New Ozzy Album

I have mixed feelings on the album.

I never understood the hate that Scream got. Sure, Black Rain was weak, but Scream was mostly solid stuff. I consider Life Won't Wait one of the best songs of his career, and Diggin Me Down and the title track are also amazing tracks.

I enjoy the first two singles on Ordinary Man, but the album tracks are mostly so-so. All My Life and Scary Little Green Men are kinda catchy, but nothing spectacular. The riff to Eat Me is very Sabbathy, and the song is fun. It's A Raid is actually one of the more memorable moments.

The title track feels like it could've been better. Ozzy and Elton sound great on it, and it feels like it could've been a classic, but doesn't quite get there. Slash is just going through the motions on it and it could've really benefitted from a killer Slash solo, but he just doesn't have the midas touch anymore like he used to in the 80s, 90s/early 00s. I also felt like the song could've benefitted from a third verse or middle eight section.

Overall, I am pleased to have new music from Ozzy, and the fact that we have a record at all is a miracle in itself, but I probably won't return to this album much, the way I do with No Rest For The Wicked, No More Tears, Blizzard, Diary Of A Madman, Bark At The Moon or even Scream (which I consider by far the greatest latter day Ozzy album).

Edited by Towelie

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

I never understood the hate that Scream got. Sure, Black Rain was weak, but Scream was mostly solid stuff.

I never heard more than a couple songs off scream and they didn't make me want to listen to much elsw from it. I got Black Rain free with Ozzy concerts tickets and ended up really liking some of those tracks. 

3 hours ago, Towelie said:

I never understood the hate that Scream got. Sure, Black Rain was weak, but Scream was mostly solid stuff. I consider Life Won't Wait one of the best songs of his career, and Diggin Me Down and the title track are also amazing tracks.

I enjoy the first two singles on Ordinary Man, but the album tracks are mostly so-so. All My Life and Scary Little Green Men are kinda catchy, but nothing spectacular. The riff to Eat Me is very Sabbathy, and the song is fun. It's A Raid is actually one of the more memorable moments.

The title track feels like it could've been better. Ozzy and Elton sound great on it, and it feels like it could've been a classic, but doesn't quite get there. Slash is just going through the motions on it and it could've really benefitted from a killer Slash solo, but he just doesn't have the midas touch anymore like he used to in the 80s, 90s/early 00s. I also felt like the song could've benefitted from a third verse or middle eight section.

Overall, I am pleased to have new music from Ozzy, and the fact that we have a record at all is a miracle in itself, but I probably won't return to this album much, the way I do with No Rest For The Wicked, No More Tears, Blizzard, Diary Of A Madman, Bark At The Moon or even Scream (which I consider by far the greatest latter day Ozzy album).

I did listen to Scream when you recommended it. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it. 

I don't think this latest is his best by any means, but it's definitely my favorite since Ozzmosis. 

To me, Tears, Diary and all of that stuff is in a different league. I will listen to this record more than anything he's done since Ozzmosis though. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I did listen to Scream when you recommended it. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it. 

I don't think this latest is his best by any means, but it's definitely my favorite since Ozzmosis. 

To me, Tears, Diary and all of that stuff is in a different league. I will listen to this record more than anything he's done since Ozzmosis though. 

Scream actually reminds me a lot of Chinese Democracy in many ways, that's why I thought you'd like it.

• Like 1

Okay, the album has grown on me quite a bit after repeated listens, especially Holy For Tonight and Today Is The End. 

I like how tight the album feels and it doesn't feel as over-produced and Pro-Toolsy as his last few albums. It feels quite organic and like a live band feel, which I don't think I've heard from an Ozzy album since No More Tears.

best Ozzy album in years. I guess his unfortunate health problems maybe gave him a weighty theme to explore. It's flawed with the excessive autotune, less than great guitar tone from Andrew Watts, some silly lyrics here and there, etc but I like most of the tunes and the album just works for me. 

Duff and Chad did a great job imo, I like most of what they've contributed. Duff can probably be a part of any rock band and do his thing which is pretty cool. Slash was alright on it, it's pretty good but I wouldn't call it inspired as I feel like he is still capable of achieving so much more. 

Hopefully Ozzy will make another album in the near future.

• Like 1

On 5.03.2020 at 5:57 PM, RussTCB said:

I like all of his work tbh

My favorites are Randy albums, Ultimate Sin, Tears and Ozzmosis, while if I had to pick one, it would be propably Ozzmosis.

New album grew on me. I don’t think it’s an amazing record but pretty solid and very fun to listen to.

Duff and Chad are playing great, it’s an awesome rythm section. Slash solos in Ordinary Man are pretty great and Watt had his moments too - I think guitar solo in Eat Me is awesome! Tom Morello’s parts are.. I don’t even hear him really 

I love that new music video, made me very emotional. Song itself is beatiful too

I love that Ozzy is still in the game, releasing good stuff, even when he doesn’t have to cause he has already a lot of albums.

SOMEONE should learn from him

• Like 1
  • Haha 1