GNRs Slash & Duff On New Ozzy Album

On 09/11/2019 at 6:09 AM, MaskingApathy said:

I hope Slash is on it somewhere.

If that's true then we should hear a new single or something about the EP soonish.

About the Ozzy song, I don't really like the pop/electronic style production and I think they should've found an actual hard rock/metal guitarist to play on the record (Zakk or someone else) instead of Watt doing it himself. I liked his playing on the California Breed album but he's no metal guitarist and I don't think his playing is best here for Ozzy. The song itself is cool and I like Duff and Chad's playing here.

Watt did a great job in my opinion. Good solo at 3:30 too. Yes it's different but better than hearing the same old stuff that zakk did the last few albums.

Edited by vloors
  • Like 2

On 8-11-2019 at 1:44 PM, DTJ80 said:

Good tune actually. And proves in the studio you can do ANYTHING with vocals as Ozzy has been dodgy live for years but sounds great here. So nothing to worry about for the new GNR material.

Really? I've seen Ozzy struggling to form sentences forever, but I'm always pretty surprised by his live performances. I did not dislike his voice during the final Sabbath tour, especially considering he's been in a vegetative state for a while now.

Edited by UcudBmine
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, UcudBmine said:

Really? I've seen Ozzy struggling to form sentences forever, but I'm always pretty surprised by his live performances. I did not dislike his voice during the final Sabbath tour, especially considering he's been in a vegetative state for a while now.

I saw him a few years ago and he was passable - nowhere near like that new song. My mate saw him relatively recently and said it was one of the worst live vocal performances he had ever witnessed - and he’s a massive Ozzy fan.

3 hours ago, UcudBmine said:

His head looks too big for his body, it looks strange. Must be the angle, he kinda looks like those funko pop dolls now.

That’s gotta be doctored surely!!??

1 hour ago, GnR Chris said:

I actually prefer Ozzy on Post Malone's song than this new single. But the single is decent.

Well that song is unlistenable for me after half of it so cwmnot judge Ozzy's vocals really...

Edited by -Jaro-

Not to shit on Ozzy, he seemed to bust this record out fairly quick... but his vocal is so incredibly autotuned, why not just work out a vocal line he could sing and then use slight autotune in places? This is extreme! 

Now, onto the song. It's completely blah! this new retro rock nonsense that every band with an orange amp is playing... kinda sabbath but without any of the originality. The guitar player on this is fairly standard blues rock... I hope to god that Ozzy didn't let this Andrew Watt record all the guitars, hopefully some other guitar player wrote with him and laid down some good solos and riffs. This song needed a great solo, and it doesn't have it. I like those big muff / octave solos just as much as the next person, but this solo just goes nowhere. 

Overproduced, lacks direction. I like the vocal hook in chorus.. I hate the sound of the guitar during the "acoustic" verse, it sounds like the modern shit rap "acoustic" guitar sound that all those producers are using... as in midi instruments. This Andrew guy is supposedly a great guitar player, so I see no reason why he wouldn't track real guitar, and if he did I can't understand why they'd mix it so unorthodoxly. 

On 09/11/2019 at 9:17 PM, vloors said:

Watt did a great job in my opinion. Good solo at 3:30 too. Yes it's different but better than hearing the same old stuff that zakk did the last few albums.

Gus G was on the last album. Zakks last album with Ozzy was black rain, and unsurprisingly it had several great songs filled with good riffs, and some great leads even if it was leaning towards Ozzy Label Society. I don't love Zakk as a guitar player these days, but back in the 80s up to the mid 90s he was absolutely fantastic. I'm sure if a producer worked with hima and made him turn off his pedalboard of doom he could come up with some beautiful solos ala No More Tears era Ozzy or Pride and Glory.

Compare the two, I know which I can listen to more than once! 

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Not to shit on Ozzy, he seemed to bust this record out fairly quick... but his vocal is so incredibly autotuned, why not just work out a vocal line he could sing and then use slight autotune in places? This is extreme! 

Now, onto the song. It's completely blah! this new retro rock nonsense that every band with an orange amp is playing... kinda sabbath but without any of the originality. The guitar player on this is fairly standard blues rock... I hope to god that Ozzy didn't let this Andrew Watt record all the guitars, hopefully some other guitar player wrote with him and laid down some good solos and riffs. This song needed a great solo, and it doesn't have it. I like those big muff / octave solos just as much as the next person, but this solo just goes nowhere. 

Overproduced, lacks direction. I like the vocal hook in chorus.. I hate the sound of the guitar during the "acoustic" verse, it sounds like the modern shit rap "acoustic" guitar sound that all those producers are using... as in midi instruments. This Andrew guy is supposedly a great guitar player, so I see no reason why he wouldn't track real guitar, and if he did I can't understand why they'd mix it so unorthodoxly. 

100% agree, especially about the guitar and production.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Gus G was on the last album. Zakks last album with Ozzy was black rain, and unsurprisingly it had several great songs filled with good riffs, and some great leads even if it was leaning towards Ozzy Label Society. I don't love Zakk as a guitar player these days, but back in the 80s up to the mid 90s he was absolutely fantastic. I'm sure if a producer worked with hima and made him turn off his pedalboard of doom he could come up with some beautiful solos ala No More Tears era Ozzy or Pride and Glory.

I cant stand the constant fuckin pinch harmonics.

7 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I love Black Rain, but enjoy new single too.

If we are talking bout his vocals.. this song is not that much filled with autotune. Actually  songs from Black Rain and Scream are even more processed.

For example this. Not bad song but Ozzy doesn’t sound like that at all.

Vocals in Under The Graveyard reminds me of his Down To Earth voice so idk for me it’s good.

You are right about the guitars tho

2 hours ago, sl4yer said:

I love Black Rain, but enjoy new single too.

If we are talking bout his vocals.. this song is not that much filled with autotune. Actually  songs from Black Rain and Scream are even more processed.

For example this. Not bad song but Ozzy doesn’t sound like that at all.

Vocals in Under The Graveyard reminds me of his Down To Earth voice so idk for me it’s good.

You are right about the guitars tho

I hear a lot of processing, I mean it's no different than all his previous albums from the 00s on, but we all know he can't sing like this live.

Ouch! I just listened on ear buds. The acoustic verses are 'louder' than the heavy chorus. I havent listened to a track with this aggressive peak limiters in a minute - I thought wed moved passed this. 4 is as loud as I could enjoy compared to 6-7 usually. But its also the treble pain. Id been enjoying this song until now.

• 2 weeks later...