GNRs Slash & Duff On New Ozzy Album

I wonder what Axl thinks when he sees his band mates going out and doing these projects, releasing stuff, etc for everything but their own band. I mean, it would give me a kick in the ass to go, “Alright this little project was cool, but let’s get in the studio and see what we as a band can do.”  

50 minutes ago, GNRfanJen said:

I wonder what Axl thinks when he sees his band mates going out and doing these projects, releasing stuff, etc for everything but their own band. I mean, it would give me a kick in the ass to go, “Alright this little project was cool, but let’s get in the studio and see what we as a band can do.”  

Dunno about these days, but back in '99:

Hurt, yeah. Disappointed. I mean, with Slash, I remember crying about all kinds of things in my life, but I had never felt hot, burning tears … hot, burning tears of anger. Basically, to me, it was because I am watching this guy and I don’t understand it. Playing with everyone from Space Ghost to Michael Jackson. I don’t get it. I wanted the world to love and respect him. I just watched him throw it away.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/axl-speaks-238599/

20 hours ago, Rovim said:

Good tune. Melodic. Ozzy knows what he's doing here. A few things I dislike are Duff's bass tone, Ozzy's autotune to fuck vocals and I don't like the production.

The solo is weak and the tone doesn't fit the song imo. I also think Zakk would have been better at least just for the solo. I think Ozzy should have asked Slash to come up with a solo but overall, very nice, catchy tune. Works as a single. Chad came up with drum parts that seem to fit Ozzy. Great drummer.

edit: and Ozzy sounds inspired here

edit 2: I really like this tune. Guitar parts are cool, it's just the solo feels like a missed opportunity.

edit 3: I was too quick to dismiss the solo. It's got that Randy Rhodes "escalation" kind of thing, I like the note choices, I like how he builds it, I just don't care much for his tone. Gonna buy this album.

I agree, but I still don't like the solo. Pretty lame compared to other guitarists that Ozzy has played with in the past.

10 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I honestly think one of two things,

1. If GNR are doing an album,  they are reworking old stuff and duff and slashs parts are complete and other band members are working on their parts including axl. Hence why duff and slash are keeping themselves busy working with other people.

2. Album is done and slash and duff are killing time until march.

That could be true. I think Ozzy said in one of those interviews recently that they did the whole record in a few weeks, so Duff probably didn't have to be there too long, and Slash was probably there just for a day (depending on how much he's playing on the record). So there's still plenty of time for them to work GnR stuff.

6 hours ago, Bumble's Bridge Pickup said:

The vocal line "all right now" in the beginning sounds like it was sampled from Sweet Leaf lol. Or more like, they are desperately trying to evoke that nostalgia.

The autotune makes this thoroughly unenjoyable.

I thought the same thing, sounds like it was lifted straight from Sweet Leaf (or Ozzy sang it the same way intentionally). They're definitely going for the nostalgia factor. One example is in Under The Graveyard when the solo section comes in the bass takes on that Geezer Butler kind of tone and Andrew Watt is using a fuzz or treble booster to get the Iommi should from the classic albums. 

I hate the autotune also. The production for these songs is all wrong. This isn't a modern pop Post Malone or whoever record, it's the godfather of metal, prince of darkness himself.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TMAC20 said:

Slash riff and solo on this is Killer 

Wah Wah Wah 

If u don’t like this solo - I highly doubt u are gonna like any GNR  number that will be new 

Just my opinion though 

Apparently you've never heard the solos of Ozzys other songs, lol

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

5 hours ago, Rovim said:

My guess is that's not the case. He probably just comes in, plays a a couple of takes and that's it. I just think he doesn't care enough or doesn't enjoy investing a lot of time until it's the best it can possibly be. Maybe he improvises most or all of it.

Doesn't mean he's not capable of coming up with great solos. This one he did for Ozzy doesn't reflect what he can do imo.

But what does it say about him? He doesn't care enough about the Chinese songs live, he doesn't care enough to make the Conspirators records as good as possible, he doesn't care about fucking Ozzy Osbourne enough to give his best?

Then why do you expect him to suddenly care enough about new stuff?

Maybe he should do an album with Vince Neil, he doesn't care as well.

It's sad.

Edited by El Guapo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

But what does it say about him? He doesn't care enough about the Chinese songs live, he doesn't care enough to make the Conspirators records as good as possible, he doesn't care about fucking Ozzy Osbourne enough to give his best?

Then why do you expect him to suddenly care enough about new stuff?

Maybe he should do an album with Vince Neil, he doesn't care as well.

It's sad.

I don't actually know. But I think it might say he doesn't enjoy the process of recording in the studio if it means more than just a few takes so he does his thing listens back to what he laid down and maybe thinks "good enough, next".

Personally, I wish it wasn't like that (if it is like that) and instead he would put more time and energy into it but you need to care enough about it to approach it in a way you don't really enjoy. Slash can improvise fluidly and obviously cares about playing live way more than to record the best album he can possibly record.

I don't expect but I hope that because his past work in Guns is so brilliant he would really go for it if/when the band will start the process of writing and recording. I also hope Axl will influence him in a positive way to make a real effort.

24 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I don't actually know. But I think it might say he doesn't enjoy the process of recording in the studio if it means more than just a few takes so he does his thing listens back to what he laid down and maybe thinks "good enough, next".

Personally, I wish it wasn't like that (if it is like that) and instead he would put more time and energy into it but you need to care enough about it to approach it in a way you don't really enjoy. Slash can improvise fluidly and obviously cares about playing live way more than to record the best album he can possibly record.

I don't expect but I hope that because his past work in Guns is so brilliant he would really go for it if/when the band will start the process of writing and recording. I also hope Axl will influence him in a positive way to make a real effort.

Same here, and hopefully Axl still got the drive to do that.

12 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

What's wrong with you guys? The solo is nothing special but it fits the song. It's totally fine. Are you expecting every solo to be magic? How's that possible. In GNR he had ok solos, so he did with every other band of his own. With his solos on LTD he proved he still got it and he will prove it again with his next release. This whole song is nothing special but it's ok. It's a simple r'n'r-tune with a simple solo. So what?

First of all, you start your post suggesting something is wrong with us cause we have a different opinion than you about a Slash solo. That's ridiculous. Secondly, all I said was that Slash "overplays here" when talking about this specific solo. I also stated I think Slash didn't lose his "mojo" or whatever. That he is still capable of coming up with great solos so maybe chill a little.

I like LTD, some good solos on there and some cool tunes. But are we really going to pretend that that is the best Slash can accomplish? also: in Gn'R Slash's solos were not just "ok solos", they were brilliant imo which is exactly why I would really like it if he came close to that quality at least on a potential Guns album. I think I'm allowed to do that as a hardcore Slash fan.

Finally, countless simple rock n' roll tunes contain great "simple" solos. This is not one of them imo.

Edited by Rovim

With Slash, I have always thought that his soloing ideas get elevated by great songwriting and great melody.  Having a beautful vocal melody in Estranged or NR to play off of and make the guitar sing.  Or even the rockers, composing that super melodic and singable melody on Nightrain that is the perfect answer to Axl's vocal ideas.    When he has great songs to work with, great ideas come out

This song itself sounds like a generic low-effort paint-by-numbers Ozzy song to me anyways, so I know that as a guitar player, I would be hard pressed to find melodic inspiration in this song to do anything else but shred up and down the Eb Minor Pentatonic scale with a wah pedal which is what Slash is doing here lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

First of all, you start your post suggesting something is wrong with us cause we have a different opinion than you about a Slash solo. That's ridiculous. Secondly, all I said was that Slash "overplays here" when talking about this specific solo. I also stated I think Slash didn't lose his "mojo" or whatever. That he is still capable of coming up with great solos so maybe chill a little.

I like LTD, some good solos on there and some cool tunes. But are we really going to pretend that that is the best Slash can accomplish? also: in Gn'R Slash's solos were not just "ok solos", they were brilliant imo which is exactly why I would really like it if he came close to that quality at least on a potential Guns album. I think I'm allowed to do that as a hardcore Slash fan.

Finally, countless simple rock n' roll tunes contain great "simple" solos. This is not one of them imo.

Maybe you should chill. I didn't even had you in mind while I wrote my post. I just have read through this whole thread and all I got were negative vibes.

Of course you are allowed to have your own opinion. So do I. I think it's a simple Slash solo. A simple Slash solo is nothing bad, rather the opposite, so nothing to complain about. 

And, IMO most solos on LTD are classic Slash solos that would have fit in every GNR record. Maybe you aren't capable of realise it because of the music that isn't on GnR level. But I am. :awesomeface:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Its funny cause Ozzy kicked Zakk from his band cause his solo music was sounding way too much like Black Label (which is basically Sabbath meets Pantera) and this song sounds exactly like something Zakk would writte for Ozzy but a little more generic and poppy.

This only reinforces my toughts that Ozzy (or Sharon) was bothered by Zakks spotlight. 

Edit: Another funny thing is that Ozzy had to call Zakk back as a career move, yet he didnt let Zakk be on the recordings of the new album :lol:

Edited by default_

14 minutes ago, default_ said:

Its funny cause Ozzy kicked Zakk from his band cause his solo music was sounding way too much like Black Label (which is basically Sabbath meets Pantera) and this song sounds exactly like something Zakk would writte for Ozzy but a little more generic and poppy.

This only reinforces my toughts that Ozzy (or Sharon) was bothered by Zakks spotlight. 

Edit: Another funny thing is that Ozzy had to call Zakk back as a career move, yet he didnt let Zakk be on the recordings of the new album :lol:

It's definitely that Sharon doesn't like Zakk in the spotlight. This happened back when Zakk put out Book Of Shadows, which sounded nothing like Ozzy or Sabbath. Sharon just seemed so bothered that Zakk was getting any amount of attention. 

On 23/11/2019 at 3:43 AM, sl4yer said:

Lol

Axl is the one who really don’t give a fuck about anything. Slash is at least active. He doesn’t write as good things as 30 years ago but at least he is doing something unlike Axl.

Axl is a perfectionist and there are a lot of stuff going on. But giving us no new materials for a decade is unforgivable.

Atleast he didn't let Fergie to use him as a stripper pole :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Zinia_29 said:

Axl is a perfectionist and there are a lot of stuff going on. But giving us no new materials for a decade is unforgivable.

Atleast he didn't let Fergie to use him as a stripper pole :facepalm:

Please, Fergie, use me as a stripper pole 

• Haha 4