GNRs Slash & Duff On New Ozzy Album

I am surprised so many people complaing about the Autotune. His vocals are highly edited on records since 1995. There were songs where he sounded even less natural than on the new singles. Ozzy has always been one of my favorite artists and I really like “Ordinary Man”. Elton feature and Slash solo are really nice. I love Under The Graveyard and it makes me very emotional. “Ashes to ashes, watch me disappear”, considering his very rough last year are hitting me. 

Straight To Hell on the other hand is shitty in my opinion. Solo is mediocre, vocals sounds worse than on the other two, and the choir intro is totally unnecessary to me.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

I'm not a musical expert. But isn't pitch correction completely different from autotune?

Did Axl use autotune on CD or was it pitch correction? If you listen to the isolated Rock Band songs, you can really hear autotune in Sebastian Bach's "Sorry" vocals.

I think you're right 

38 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

Can you elaborate a little on Bono and the mics? 

For what it's worth, I love "Ordinary Man." 

Sure. I cant find an interview were he acknowledges that the lower quality mics are indistinguishable from the high quality ones given the low-fi method that most fans listen to their music on. I think it was from ether All That You Cant Leave Behind of Atomic Bomb album cycles. Early iPod and loudness wars days. I'll keep looking for that!

But heres at least references to Bonos studio mic choices, going back to Actchung Baby. The mics they referece are variations of the 'industry standard' for live rock vocals. According to the producer quoted here it seems that it started with a punk rock ethos. Again, I will try to find Bonos own statements on this from years later in the aughts.

http://www.recording64.com/2014/08/13/can-you-record-pro-sounding-vocals-with-a-sm58-microphone-readers-question/

• Thanks 1

On 10/1/2020 at 2:16 PM, moreblack said:

Nice solo, not the greatest ever but it'll work

I like it a lot...

i don't understand how everybody seems to think if Slash collaborates with any artist it must have a Novermber Rain or Sweet Child O' Mine solo.... why? i'm glad he's still recording releasing and playing with high quality, unlike most of his contemporary musicians...

Even Zakk's been releashing shit for a while...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dario27 said:

I like it a lot...

i don't understand how everybody seems to think if Slash collaborates with any artist it must have a Novermber Rain or Sweet Child O' Mine solo.... why? i'm glad he's still recording releasing and playing with high quality, unlike most of his contemporary musicians...

Even Zakk's been releashing shit for a while...

If you listen to the solo you can here it  saying the chorus. It was never intended to be a masturbatory effort on Slash's part (I love when he is allowed to just wail away but this wasn't the place.

Song will likely be edited down to 4 minutes for radio, so we weren't going to get NR II.

I agree whole heartedly with your  point about people feeling he mails it in if there isn't a 2 minute epic solo when he is working on someone else's song with likely parameters.

This was all about  being tasteful, emotive and fitting into the song.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

I don't know. Seems to me if he wanted to, he could have probably participated in this song. Can you imagine Axl also doing a verse on "Ordinary Man"? I couldn't handle it.

It would be as great as that Motorhead track with Ozzy and Slash. Missed oportunity.

Edited by default_

1 minute ago, default_ said:

It would be as much as great as that Motorhead track with Ozzy and Slash. Missed oportunity.

To be honest I don’t think Axl would fit very well. Ozzy and Elton both are 70+ and had a crazy lifestyles, and this song has a goodbye feeling.

3 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

I'm not a musical expert. But isn't pitch correction completely different from autotune?

Did Axl use autotune on CD or was it pitch correction? If you listen to the isolated Rock Band songs, you can really hear autotune in Sebastian Bach's "Sorry" vocals.

You're correct but in general parlance people think it's interchangeable. Autotune generally applies correction to an entire track. This can be used subtlely to sharpen up some odd notes, or it can be cranked all the way up and that's how you can the T-Pain and Lil Wayne effect. Pitch Correction is more applied on an individual note basis, where you can adjust each syllable to put it in key or close. So the easy way to thing is that Autotune affects the entire vocal track, and pitch correction is used to fine tune pieces of the vocal track.

18 minutes ago, Naupis said:

If you listen to the solo you can here it  saying the chorus. It was never intended to be a masturbatory effort on Slash's part (I love when he is allowed to just wail away but this wasn't the place.

Song will likely be edited down to 4 minutes for radio, so we weren't going to get NR II.

I agree whole heartedly with your  point about people feeling he mails it in if there isn't a 2 minute epic solo when he is working on someone else's song with likely parameters.

This was all about  being tasteful, emotive and fitting into the song.

I like that word, masturbatory hahaha,

Cheers

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TeeJay410 said:

You're correct but in general parlance people think it's interchangeable. Autotune generally applies correction to an entire track. This can be used subtlely to sharpen up some odd notes, or it can be cranked all the way up and that's how you can the T-Pain and Lil Wayne effect. Pitch Correction is more applied on an individual note basis, where you can adjust each syllable to put it in key or close. So the easy way to thing is that Autotune affects the entire vocal track, and pitch correction is used to fine tune pieces of the vocal track.

I'm out of reactions today, but I appreciate you taking the time to explain. Thank you.

• Like 1

autotune is a product/brand of pitch correction/modulation made by antares that has become a blanket term for vocal pitch correction. Melodyne is the absolute best pitch correction software now imo, easier to use and cheaper for what you can do with it. The autotune sound ala T-Pain or Cher or whatever can be made in Melodyne and its actually really nice to subtly layer underneath vocals that ARENT pitch corrected to give a better sense of melody, but when you double up a pitch corrected vocal it ends up sounding like recent Ozzy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, djones1225 said:

Well since we dont have the rest of the tracklisting for Ozzy's new album, who knows maybe Axl might be a guest a song but I'd say that theres a 1% chance of that happening.

Features are already known. Slash, Tom Morello, Elton John and Post Malone

Slash killed it on both Songs 

2 different songs - 1 is a rocker and the other is mid Tempo 

Slash killed it on the wah wah bluesy solo 

And then the reason he is Slash - He fucking nailed it with Ordinary Man - The solo is Epic 

It sounds like a old Gnr Type solo and I love it 

• Like 4