Show Opener and Closer

The endless WTTJ intro these days is just too much. Imagine hearing that before the band comes out at every concert. Urgh. 3 minutes of complete boredom and killed tension.

An opener needs to go BANG HERE WE ARE! Nightrain and ISE both have that.

PC should always be the closing song. I like having structure in a setlist over the years and I like it when artists always keep the same closing song.

CD with original intro for opener. Or OMG 🤯

I think nightrain works really well as closer of main set, but would be a cool opener. Maybe November Rain, Rocket Queen or Jungle could close the main set instead. 

Jungle would be cool encore opener as well. 

Paradise City is a Great end of the show. See no reason to mess with that. 

Edited by Thorbear

I thought a lot about this actually, but, after all, ISE is a great show opener - energetic, lyrics starts fast and being short with smoothly turning into Brownstone. 

However, if to wonder, I think Chinese Democracy is also may be a good opener - energetic as well with iconic, but not too long opening solo. SOYL also may played out as well - it has a little bit too long opening solo, but fits as an opener. YCBM with the same concept. WTTJ is hardly can be opener these days - too iconic and too important to waste on the first song, when the audience and the band are not warmed properly. 

Nightrain is a perfect main set closer, doesn't see proper alternatives. And nothing will close the show as PC does.

I kinda agree with Paradise city as the closer for eternity! but (like all my comparisons) I remember when Metallica used to do Seek N Destroy at the end at EVERY show, and then one tour out of nowhere, they threw it 4 songs in and the place went bananas! They like the big end so, you can go with an epic like November rain which, is slow but that song gets a great response and that ending is always a show highlight. Then there's Nightrain which is similar to PC.

Shadow of your love would be a hellacious way to kick off a set! 

I like surprises, and after 30ish years of PC as a closer it wouldn't be bad to swap it out, even if it was just for one touring cycle.

3 minutes ago, Billly B said:

What if they started with PC and ended with WTTJ?

You can definitely start the show with PC! Didn't they do that for the live era version or sometime they played in Vegas in the 90s. Sounds great! Open with PC, end with Nightrain, don't do the fake walk off just power through, and when you're done! you're done!

Mix up the opener with ISE and CD. I know Ashba isn't popular but I liked it at Reading 2010 with the teasing intro guitar. If things are running behind they should definitely explode onto the stage with ISE. 

I love Nightrain and wish it was earlier in the set while that initial excitement is still kicking. 

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

You can definitely start the show with PC! Didn't they do that for the live era version or sometime they played in Vegas in the 90s. Sounds great! Open with PC, end with Nightrain, don't do the fake walk off just power through, and when you're done! you're done!

Not sure if PC was an opener back in the 80s while they were starting, but PC was never an opener post 1990

58 minutes ago, Axlr0s37 said:

Mix up the opener with ISE and CD. I know Ashba isn't popular but I liked it at Reading 2010 with the teasing intro guitar. If things are running behind they should definitely explode onto the stage with ISE. 

I love Nightrain and wish it was earlier in the set while that initial excitement is still kicking. 

Welcome to the Jungle/It's so Easy/Mr. Brownstone are still my favourite opening songs for the concerts. 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Billly B said:

What if they started with PC and ended with WTTJ?

There's just something about Jungle that is perfect as an opener and PC as a closer. Jungle says we're about to take you on a journey that's a little dirty but we'll have some "fun and games" along the way.  Then PC kind of wraps it all up especially with the "won't you please take me home" part.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pharaoh said:

Do U Agree with Easy as show opener, Nightrain as Main Set Closer and Paradice City as Show Closer in every show?

If not, what songs would you use to open and close?

I'd love em to mix it up. It's So Easy, Nightrain and Jungle are all great openers. 

I hate where Jungle is currently on the set. It doesn't work and the telegraphed jump by Slash is too predictable. 

Paradise City is the finisher and to end the  main set Nightrain or Jungle is cool

2 hours ago, gnr5 said:

Not sure if PC was an opener back in the 80s while they were starting, but PC was never an opener post 1990

Ah, well it would be cool none the less!

2 hours ago, fernandoGNR said:

Maybe he meant the Freddie Mercury tribute concert in 1992, but that wasn't an actual GN'R show

Ah yes! That's where it's from! 

25 minutes ago, WildStar said:

I hate where Jungle is currently on the set. It doesn't work and the telegraphed jump by Slash is too predictable. 

When you play places that size, the casuals outnumber the hardcores by the thousands. That's who they telegraphing it for. It's not their first rodeo. They're experts on what works for big venues by now.