Show Opener and Closer

2 hours ago, WildStar said:

I hate where Jungle is currently on the set. It doesn't work and the telegraphed jump by Slash is too predictable. 

2 hours ago, moreblack said:

That's who they telegraphing it for. It's not their first rodeo.

I think you mean choreographed not telegraphed ;)

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, gnr5 said:

Another setlist thread, but whatever, I'll give my input.

Rotate between Nightrain/Easy/Jungle as opener, just like in the UYI tour.

Close with PC as usual

Agree with this and rotate them around. These songs i guess help the band loosen up and PC as the closer.

Perfect Crime would be a great opener if you ask me; it's short, energetic & blasts through, delivering that seriously fast-paced no-screwing-around-here rock n' roll attitude right within the core of the fans! :headbang:

Paradise City is fine for a closer, however to the fans wanting something more in-depth & mindblowing, I'd pick Coma for a perfect candidate! To finish the night with such an epic & thematic tune, I couldn't possibly ask for more.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, moreblack said:

When you play places that size, the casuals outnumber the hardcores by the thousands. That's who they telegraphing it for. It's not their first rodeo. They're experts on what works for big venues by now.

It encourages mobile phone usage. Fancy that! 

I don't think casuals would mind where it is on the set. They could have a giant curtain and open with Jungle. A teasing intro before they drop the curtain would be a powerful start

8 hours ago, janrichmond said:

I think you mean choreographed not telegraphed ;)

Oh yeah. That too 

Closer - PC.

Opener - Right next door, Perfect Crime.

After 35 years I could easily live through the whole tour w/o hearing It's so easy, Mr. Brownstone...Replace Rocket Queen with Out ta get me/My Michelle, bring out Anything goes

Just ditch 80% of current setlist.

Bring out Breakdown, Bad Apples, Pretty tied up, Get in the ring, Garden, Back off...

Replace Attitude with Buik, Human being, Black leather...

Ditch all the other covers

42 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

Closer - PC.

After 35 years I could easily live through the whole tour w/o hearing It's so easy, Mr. Brownstone...Replace Rocket Queen with Out ta get me/My Michelle, bring out Anything goes

Bring out Breakdown, Bad Apples, Pretty tied up, Get in the ring, Garden, Back off...

Agree that they should replace all of the covers, I don’t know another band in history who plays as many covers live as this band. It’s sad really to be playing them when there’s so many deep cuts that they could add to the set list.

14 hours ago, moreblack said:

When you play places that size, the casuals outnumber the hardcores by the thousands. That's who they telegraphing it for. It's not their first rodeo. They're experts on what works for big venues by now.

I wouldn't  say experts. If they were experts after 4yrs they'd have noticed the lull in the crowd about 10 songs in each night🤣

1 hour ago, shotsfired cro said:

Closer - PC.

Like it or not the current set includes the majority of gnrs best and most well known work, there's a handful of other songs 'dust n bones, pretty tied up, 14 years, the garden' that they could add in though. 

I am 100% behind them overhauling the set and adding new songs, but there's a ton of afd heavy hitters that need to be played, and there's a fair few uyi songs that need to be played so what they add in between is probably 20% of the set. So I'll be generous and 35% needs to change. Even crowd favourites get rested for a tour every once in a while. Maiden didn't  play run to the hills for a tour a in the early 00s and nobody rioted. I went to see Aerosmith in 07 and they didn't  play dude looks like a lady (disappointing) nobody rioted.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Like it or not the current set includes the majority of gnrs best and most well known work, there's a handful of other songs 'dust n bones, pretty tied up, 14 years, the garden' that they could add in though. 

I am 100% behind them overhauling the set and adding new songs, but there's a ton of afd heavy hitters that need to be played, and there's a fair few uyi songs that need to be played so what they add in between is probably 20% of the set. So I'll be generous and 35% needs to change. Even crowd favourites get rested for a tour every once in a while. Maiden didn't  play run to the hills for a tour a in the early 00s and nobody rioted. I went to see Aerosmith in 07 and they didn't  play dude looks like a lady (disappointing) nobody rioted.

Deletin SCOM from the setlist is impossible. Its the number one hit for the casual fans... the mayority of the ppl who buy the tickets. Do u remembered the gnr instagram "vote"? 

56 minutes ago, axlvai said:

Deletin SCOM from the setlist is impossible. Its the number one hit for the casual fans... the mayority of the ppl who buy the tickets. Do u remembered the gnr instagram "vote"? 

I'm not talking about SCOM, I'm talking about mr brownstone, live and let die etc. But they could play a set without sweet child, people would be disappointed but it they played 3 out of their 4 biggest songs that's not a bad stat. Wttj, PC, NV. I'd never say that gnr should drop anyone of their hit songs though. Difference with maiden is that they have 15 albums of material and have worked the material.well enough that the fans are happy to listen to obscure material and the hits.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I am not saying the setlist doesn't include their best and most known work - on the contarary. The problem is it is played all the time and while GNR used to be the least predictable and most exciting band, now they are just too much.

Out of all the songs on the setlist, YCBM and PC are probably the only irreplacable ones.

The last 25 years it became a costume for a band to change setlist from night to night.

Nirvana used to shuffle each night, Pumpkins used to shuffle, Foo Fighters have concerts where My Hero and Everlong sit out, not to mention Best of you or Breakout,  Aerosmith shuffle...Bon Jovi 2011 opened Euro leg in Zagreb, following night they replaced 7 in Dresden only to replace 5 from Dresden to Munich, that is why fans go see gigs and buy tix.

There are nights when they rested Prayer, I'll be there for you, Keep the faith, Bed of Roses, Blaze of glory...  With internet and setlist.fm it can all be followed.

I pretty much have entire audio collection '86-'93 this is a joke.

Problem is - GNR is the only band on the planet who stick to EVER same setlist and if they don't - they add another fuckin' cover nobody cares to see or hear.     

58 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

I am not saying the setlist doesn't include their best and most known work - on the contarary. The problem is it is played all the time and while GNR used to be the least predictable and most exciting band, now they are just too much.

Out of all the songs on the setlist, YCBM and PC are probably the only irreplacable ones.

The last 25 years it became a costume for a band to change setlist from night to night.

Nirvana used to shuffle each night, Pumpkins used to shuffle, Foo Fighters have concerts where My Hero and Everlong sit out, not to mention Best of you or Breakout,  Aerosmith shuffle...Bon Jovi 2011 opened Euro leg in Zagreb, following night they replaced 7 in Dresden only to replace 5 from Dresden to Munich, that is why fans go see gigs and buy tix.

There are nights when they rested Prayer, I'll be there for you, Keep the faith, Bed of Roses, Blaze of glory...  With internet and setlist.fm it can all be followed.

I pretty much have entire audio collection '86-'93 this is a joke.

Problem is - GNR is the only band on the planet who stick to EVER same setlist and if they don't - they add another fuckin' cover nobody cares to see or hear.     

Nope. They are absolutely NOT the only band playing similar or the same sets night in and out. Too many to name, but there are more bands doing it than playing different sets each night.

You can do whatever you want with a set list. There is no rules. But if you want the majority to enjoy the set you better include the hits. I'm not defending them not switching things up as far as opening songs, or just flipping orders OR maybe leaving one heavily played song off for a leg... all of the above are things I've endlessly complained about. However, songs like Sweet child, November rain, jungle, Live and let die, heavens door are, paradise city and you could be mine are the reason the majority of the stadiums across the world have been selling out.

Dead horse, locomotive, my Michelle, out ta get me, come etc. All fantastic but they are songs for the more seasoned fan for the most part. Swap songs like these in to replace the heavy hitters and you will blow the minds of 10% of your entire audience, and leave the remainder bewildered. 

Your best bet of getting a set like the one you describe is if gnr decide to do a fan club tour where we vote for the set... metallica sid it... and guess what? The fans chose enter sandman, seek, bell tolls, Sad but true, nothing else matters... basically the set Metallica have been playing forever. Couple of rarities made it but overall same old same old because that's what people want to hear.

Nightrain is the ultimate opener. 

ISE is cool, but for a band at this stage of the game, open it with an epic punch in the face. I mean the train horn and that A power chord.... way better than the endless jungle intro for pumping you up!

Also, move Paradise City into the main set. I know they won’t, but closing with Rocket Queen would be cool.... since it’s the epic finale of AFD. It might give Paradise a new lease on life and feel less obligated. You don’t enjoy it the same when there’s confetti everywhere and you’re thinking about getting to your car.

Edited by Ant