Jump to content
Blackstar

Taylor Hawkins about being asked to join (Nu)GnR

Recommended Posts

Hawkins is a great drummer but I can't imagine him playing with GnR. He was also still a drug user by that time (he OD'd on heroin in 2001 and ended up in a coma for weeks), can't imagine Axl wanting to work with drug users again either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Hawkins is a great drummer but I can't imagine him playing with GnR. He was also still a drug user by that time (he OD'd on heroin in 2001 and ended up in a coma for weeks), can't imagine Axl wanting to work with drug users again either.

When GNR played It’s So Easy with Foo Fighters, drumming was awesome. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sl4yer said:

When GNR played It’s So Easy with Foo Fighters, drumming was awesome. 

Musically speaking he could have fitted in fine, but apart from that I don't think he would have been happy in a band like GnR with members that are more like hired hands. That is what he already was when he toured with Alanis, and that was one of the reasons why he joined the Foo Fighters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, djones1225 said:

Kinda off topic, but I also heard John 5 was rumored to replace bucket after he left. Wouldve been a badass line up Axl, John 5, Robin Finck, Fortus, Taylor, Tommy Stinson, Dizzy Reed & Pitman.

yeah, John 5 was rumored back then. he was perfect for the 2002 freakshow. but he was rumored to join in 2005-2006.

Edited by Creed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, soon said:

I dont think I've heard this before. Im happy we got Brain, but this is a neat part of the history. Rock is so incestuous.

What is it about GNR calling up drummers Mom's houses, tho? :lol: Slash called Matt at his Moms house too! "Hi, Mrs Hawkins. Can Taylor come out and play?" 

It just show that everyone drummer have moms :D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

I've never seen the appeal of the Foo Fighters. I'm glad we got Brain instead.

yeah. NuGuns made much better music. LOL.

The fact that Axl wanted Grohl, Hawkins and their guitarist for NuGuns says it all.

The ISE performance with them is the best ISE since 1993.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Except Ginger Baker, he was too ornery to have a mom.😄

I know someone who knew him and his first wife very well and apparently he's a really nice bloke if you know him more on a personal level, its just he had a lot of bitterness and gripes regarding the whole rock sphere and disliked weird formal situations like interviews.  Apparently his biggest peeve was questions such as 'what was it like being...', which if you think about it is an odd question, especially when asked repeatedly over a number of years, imagine being asked 'whats it like being your mums son?' or 'whats it like doing the job you do?', what is anything like, it is what it is, isn't it?  He struggled with the inane. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Taylor Hawkins, wouldn’t mind seeing him in Guns, but I’m glad he stayed in Foo Fighters. His solo albums are worth checking out, too. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Azifwekare said:

I've never seen the appeal of the Foo Fighters. I'm glad we got Brain instead.

Sometimes i just need something easily digestible. dude knows how to write a catchy chorus. But i understand why people dont like it. Its just simple pop hard rock with almost the same approach to every song for the last few albums. Concrete and Gold is different though. Not bad, but certainly they tried to branch out a little bit

 

Still surprised Dave Grohl wrote an interesting 20 minute instrumental

Edited by Mendez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Foo Fighters are alright, nothing special... they've got a couple of good songs. Problem is also that they have never evolved a lot and have been making the same kind of music since the first record more or less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In terms of the foos loved their first album. At least grohl didn try and stick with the nirvana sound, i give him props for that. I actually think the first foos album is better than nevermind and what nirvana released after combined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, EvanG said:

Foo Fighters are alright, nothing special... they've got a couple of good songs. Problem is also that they have never evolved a lot and have been making the same kind of music since the first record more or less.

For sure.  Granted they haven't been around for 33 years like GNR, so its unfair to ask them to switch up their setlist as much as GNR routinely does with each round of the NiTL tour as they haven't been around as long and haven't had nearly as many hits or success as GNR has endured with their ongoing artistic creativity.  Hopefully the Foo's can catch up to GNR at some point.

Edited by slim26
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good decision. The guy would be joining a weird band with almost no gigs planned, an unpredictable frontman, one unfinished tour in 2002, and years of silence and re-recording various takes in studios; and he would be only known as a hired hand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, slim26 said:

For sure.  Granted they haven't been around for 33 years like GNR, so its unfair to ask them to switch up their setlist as much as GNR routinely does with each round of the NiTL tour as they haven't been around as long and haven't had nearly as many hits or success as GNR has endured with their ongoing artistic creativity.  Hopefully the Foo's can catch up to GNR at some point.

GnR has only released three records, if you consider CD a genuine GnR record, but with those three records they evolved more than Foo Fighters with their 9 records in total.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8.11.2019 at 9:29 PM, Blackstar said:

The Foo Fighters played in London three times during that tour (November 1999, August 2000 and December 2000). I guess the most likely date when Hawkins received the phone call was August 2000, as Freese resigned in March 2000, and, although Brain probably had been brought in around May, he didn't officially join until months later. 

Found a London date for the Foos for March 4th 2000, which would fit the overall Freese timeline better.

Brain would later say something like Guns had arrived with Josh after auditioning all 20 top-notch session drummers in LA (like Terry Bozzio). Replacing Josh was therefore tricky, as Ax wanted a "band drummer", instead of simply a hired gun. That's likely why they reached out to Brain and Hawkins.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, denin said:

Found a London date for the Foos for March 4th 2000, which would fit the overall Freese timeline better.

Brain would later say something like Guns had arrived with Josh after auditioning all 20 top-notch session drummers in LA (like Terry Bozzio). Replacing Josh was therefore tricky, as Ax wanted a "band drummer", instead of simply a hired gun. That's likely why they reached out to Brain and Hawkins.

Thanks, it seems I missed that date. It makes a lot of sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Imagine if Hawkins had gotten the gig and would then re-record the Josh drums.

"Umm, Taylor, we want your feel on CD, but you gotta sound like Dave..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Michael Bland (Prince, Soul Asylum) also auditioned for GnR.

https://www.moderndrummer.com/2006/08/michael-bland-2/

Quote

MD: Did I hear that you auditioned for the “new” Guns N’ Roses?

Michael: Yes, I auditioned for them in ’97. I think Josh Freese was originally supposed to do the gig. I went to the NAMM show, and I ran into Axl at the Anaheim Convention Center in California, and then I went to the audition later that night. He was very cool to me. He didn’t seem at all like the person the press makes him out to be. The audition went well, but I knew they weren’t going to hire me, with them being a bunch of skinny white dudes…[laughs] Although that’s what Soul Asylum is too. [laughs]

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bland would've made more sense to audition in Jan '98,  just before Josh joined, rather than Jan '97, with Matt (and Duff) still in the band.

But he mentions Anaheim, and NAMM 98-99 were held, unusually, in LA. Was it faulty memory or covert search for a new drummer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×