The Best Albums of the Decade

Silent Jay

The end of the decade is approaching and we haven't figured out yet the best albums of the 2010s.

As a rock fan, I guess my list goes this way... 

• Faith No More - Sol Invictus
  • Van Halen - A Different Kind Of Truth
  • Alice In Chains - The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here
  • Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks
  • Clutch - Psychic Warfare
  • Ghost - Meliora
  • Queen of the Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork
  • Judas Priest - Firepower
  • Tool - Fear Inoculum
  • Black Sabbath - 13

My above list looks odd since it consists mostly of musicians over 50, who released comeback albums that were divisive among fans. 

Personally, this decade has been synonymous with the rock genre fading away into oblivion.

Most new bands made me cringe (no offense). Imagine Dragons, Twenty One Pilots, Tame Impala, Panic At The Disco, St. Vincent etc. are the continuing thing of what Coldplay or Maroon 5 afflicted us for so long.

It's been quite a lamentable decade, probably the worst ever (people twerking on MTV, top selling album in the US sold 21,000 units last week etc.) and I would like to thank god for the old guards still alive today for giving us plebians at the very least some decent albums to rock on.

1. Nathaniel Rateliff & the Nightsweats - Self Titled Album
2. Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
3. The Black Keys - Brothers
4. Awolnation - Megalothic Symphony and their follow up album Run
5. Adele - 21
6. Beach House - Teen Dream
7. Future Islands - Singles
8. Saint Motel - My Type (EP)

Personally, it's been a pretty terrible decade for music.  As a result I don't listen to music much anymore.  

Nathenial Rateliff's 2015 album was phenomenal, as was Vampire Weekend's Modern Vampires and The Black Keys' Brother.  Both Awolnation albums were solid (their latest album not so much).  I love three or four songs from Future Islands album Singles, and the single, "My Type," from Saint Motel is one of the most infectious songs from the decade the never got the proper credit it was owed.  And credit where credit is due with Adele's monster album, 21.  Not my type of thing but Rolling in the Deep and Someone Like You are two of the best songs released in this decade.

I gave up on hard/heavy rock a long time ago.  It's boring as shit.  The old bands keep writing uninspired work that fails to compare to their previous output.  I can't listen to a new Metallica album anymore.  Only so many times I can hear Hetfield sing about things fading to black and turning into dust.  It's the same lyrics album after album with music that's derivative of what they put out before.  

All right, going off my favorite list albums of the decade I've posted at another forum.  People may think this is a terrible decade, but honestly, I've listened and enjoyed so many albums from this decade, I could have fit a top 50 if I wanted to.  I don't even care how it does in the mainstream charts and whatnot and I find myself trying to listen to some stuff outside of rock like JPop and various electronic music that I feel makes music that I enjoy.  That stated, a lot of the modern bands I liked made some great albums and some modern bands that I used to like a lot in the late 00s didn't make as great albums.

1. Alter Bridge - Fortress (2013)
2. Rush - Clockwork Angels (2012)
3. Iron Maiden - The Book of Souls (2015)
4. Myles Kennedy - Year of the Tiger (2018)
5. Switchfoot - Vice Verses (2011)
6. Black Stone Cherry - Kentucky (2016)
7. Tremonti - Cauterize (2015)
8. Sevendust - Time Travelers and Bonfires (2014)
9. Dream Theater - Dream Theater (2013)
10. Breaking Benjamin - Dark Before Dawn (2015)
11. Sixx: A.M. - Prayers for the Blessed (2016)
12. Nothing More - The Stories We Tell Ourselves (2017)
13. Foo Fighters - Wasting Light (2011)
14. Big Wreck - Albatross (2012)
15. Aimer - Sun Dance (2019)

• Like 1

god, this is a hard one. I litterally can't think of any album. I think I'll need to tweak the parameters here somewhat in order to even come up with a list.

I bought many albums in this decade, more than ever before, but they were all older work, or new compilations of older stuff, or unheard / lost vault material.

nirvana released live at reading, which is a good live album. also appreciated montage of heck

guns n roses released a super deluxe version of appetite, which was very appreciated

the rolling stones released some concerts on CD

metallica released some marvelous deluxe editions of puppets and justice

elvis released 11 concerts from 1969 in a cool new package

Queen released a pretty impressive series of 70s concerts (rainbow, hammersmith, BBC recordings) and a couple of new recordings.

the jimi hendrix anthology was great too

Edited by action

43 minutes ago, action said:

nirvana released live at reading, which is a good live album. also appreciated montage of heck

The Reading gig is so bad... but in a Nirvana fashion, so still kinda cool, but they hadn't rehearsed or played in over a month and you can definitely hear that. 

Montage of Heck was a piece of shit too, but each to his own!

I haven't listened to that many records that were released this decade, so I couldn't make a top ten even if I wanted to.

I really liked that Cokie The Clown record, can't think of any other records right now. 

Edited by EvanG

3 minutes ago, EvanG said:

The Reading gig is so bad... but in a Nirvana fashion, so still kinda cool, but they hadn't rehearsed or played in over a month and you can definitely hear that. 

Montage of Heck was a piece of shit too, but each to his own!

I haven't listened to that many records that were released this decade, so I couldn't make a top ten even if I wanted to.

I really liked that Cokie The Clown record, can't think of any other records right now. 

i listened to that montage of heck cd, once in my life.

When I took a trip to the city, (which was a sentiment the director claimed this album would evoke: the album is like spening a day with kurt in town or something)

all I remember from it is, "i guess I broke a guitar string" and walking in the city I guess. 

was a cool experience though

Just now, action said:

i listened to that montage of heck cd, once in my life.

When I took a trip to the city, (which was a sentiment the director claimed this album would evoke: the album is like spening a day with kurt in town or something)

all I remember from it is, "i guess I broke a guitar string" and walking in the city I guess. 

was a cool experience though

Yeah, that's probably how you have to listen to it... but to me it's more like hearing a stoned guy playing on an out of tuned guitar recorded as bad as possible, hearing sketches of songs that probably never would have seen the light of day had he not died, but because Cobain has become legendary, they have decided to release even the most ridiculous crap he has ever put to tape no matter how stupid it is.

Just gonna go off the top of my head with some of my favorite albums that were released in the past decade. Not ranking them or anything, just ones that come to mind-

Gotye - Making Mirrors 

Foo Fighters - Wasting Light

Kelly Clarkson - Meaning of Life 

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth

Sturgill Simpson - A Sailors Guide to Earth 

Leon Bridges - Good Thing

Taylor Swift - 1989

Brandon Flowers - The Desired Effect

Parker Millsap - Other Arrangements 

Jack White - Lazaretto 

Mayer Hawthorne - Where Does This Door Go

I'm 100% certain there's other I'm forgetting, but those are the ones that I thought of immediately. 

David Bowie - Blackstar

Alabama Shakes - Sound and Colour 

Dawes - Passwords

Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

Amelia Curran - They Promised you Mercy

Iggy Pop - Post Pop Depression

Maggie Rogers - Heard it in a Past Life

Bob Weir - Blue Mountain

Mud crutch - 2

William Prince - Earthly Days

Leonard Cohen - Old Ideas

A Tribe Called Red - Nation ii Nation

Jeff Beck - Emotion Commotion

Adele - 21

Bucktheads' Pikes too!!!!! :headbang::headbang::headbang:

27 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

4. Eminem- Recovery (2010)

For some reason I thought this album came out in 2009 so I didn't include it.

I don't listen to a lot of hip hop, but this album was played non-stop for a long time.  Probably my favourite hip-hop album.  

• GNFNR 1

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Threads like this make me realise how little new music I listen to.  Like zero almost.  When it is its usually just old artists. 

In the mid 2000's my friend told me that I'm stuck in the 90's when it comes down to music. It's almost 2020 and things haven't changed much, most bands/artists I discover now have been around at least since the 90's.

I don't think I got into Wilco until this decade, but they've been around since 1994.

Edited by EvanG

6 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Threads like this make me realise how little new music I listen to.  Like zero almost.  When it is its usually just old artists. 

Yeah i don't listen to allot of stuff from >2010. Could name more from the 2000s. Example - Ive recently started listening to Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor again.

I rarely listen to new music by new artists. I prefer to discover old music that is new to me and just stick to new material by familiar musicians. Guess I'm getting old.

One album I've probably listened to thousands of times is John Frusciante's Enclosure (2014) that one was brilliant but not too many people connected with it, it seems.

As for fairly new musicians, that kid Billie Eilish and her brother definitely captured a certain vibe that reflects the current generation of kids in certain ways imo. Her debut album "When We Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?" sounds exactly like something that would be relatable to younger audiences today with it's "shock" value/at times silly lyrics and is fairly eclectic musically and has a style that works. I like it.

Lana Del Rey's 2019 release "Norman Fucking Rockwell" is cool. The themes and lyrics have a shallow vibe to it. Still nice melodies.

Manic Street Preachers - Futurology (2014) was excellent I thought. Noel Gallagher's "Who Built The Moon?" (2017) was really good. ...Like Clockwork by QOTSA as the OP stated was great as well. "Free" by Iggy is a fun listen.

Here are the 16 which I own which I would consider among the best from the 2010's

Alter Bridge - ABIII; Fortress; Walk The Sky

Avantasia - The Wicked Symphony; Ghostlights

Evanescence - Self Titled

Ghost - Prequelle

Halestorm - Strange Case Of... ; Vicious

Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls

Judas Priest - Firepower

Myles Kennedy - Year Of The Tiger

Scorpions - Return To Forever

SMKC - World On Fire; Living The Dream

W.A.S.P. - Golgotha

• Like 1

Some of my favorites:

Lana Del Rey - Born To Die

Cypress Hill - Elephants on Acid

Aphex Twin - Syro

HIM - Tears On Tape

Jack White - Blunderbuss

MØ - No Mythologies To Follow

Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP2

Foo Fighters - Wasting Light

Grimes - Visions

Prodigy - The Day Is My Enemy

Marilyn Manson - The Pale Emperor

Arctic Monkeys - AM

Lorde - Pure Heroin

Adele - 21

Leonard Cohen - You Want It Darker

Billie Eilish - WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO?

Red Hot Chili Peppers - I'm With You

The Strokes - Comedown Machine

Sept 2010 so just falls within this timeframe. Neil's last undisputed masterpiece,

220px-Le_Noise_Neil_Young.jpeg

Others, 

Neil Young/Crazy Horse - Psychedelic Pill (2012). 

Keith Richards - Crosseyed Heart (2015)

Stones - Blue and Lonesome. (2016)

Björk has released a few good ones. Quite liked Slash's World on Fire also.

Not the most youthful bunch, I know!

• Like 1