Eradicate The Foo Fighters

oldnews

12 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Incredible what 30 odd years can do to a man eh, I mean there’s young Davey Grohl in 91, hip as you like, brimming with punk rock ideals and all that...cut to 2019 and he’s like the Barry Manilow of the day.

Yeah but he always liked metal as well. And I don't think he ever got bored of it like Kurt got bored with classic rock. (even if Kurt was influenced by Black Sabbath)

So Dave did a song with a Beatle but made an album with the bassist of Zeppelin. He always had the potential to become the Barry Manilow of rock imo.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Incredible what 30 odd years can do to a man eh, I mean there’s young Davey Grohl in 91, hip as you like, brimming with punk rock ideals and all that...cut to 2019 and he’s like the Barry Manilow of the day.

I prefer to think of him as the James Corden of Rock

2 hours ago, EvanG said:

Dave went from a shy person to very outgoing... now he spends half of the Foo Fighters shows telling stories and screaming at the crowd.

Such a contrast to this guy,

But was he? shy I mean. Maybe he was just camera shy in interviews or shy in certain situations. As he gained more experience he could have felt more comfortable and confident reflecting who he really was. (a knucklehead) he just doesn't strike me as an introvert or particularly shy person even then but maybe you're right, idk.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

But was he? shy I mean. Maybe he was just camera shy in interviews or shy in certain situations. As he gained more experience he could have felt more comfortable and confident reflecting who he really was. (a knucklehead) he just doesn't strike me as an introvert or particularly shy person even then but maybe you're right, idk.

Never met him in person, but maybe shy isn't the right word, he was always a bit of a goofball and that hasn't changed. But when you look at interviews during his Nirvana days and now, you see a world of difference. Back then he wasn't very talkative but now his bandmates hardly get a word in because he does all the talking, but it's only normal that he's more confident and he's in a very different situation now obviously. He's the frontman and it's his band, while in Nirvana he knew his place because he was drummer #4 or 5 and there was a lot of tension in the band, especially later on. Kurt wasn't too happy with Dave's drumming anymore at the end, and Dave knew about that. And in the beginning of the Foo Fighters you could tell he felt quite awkward having to be the frontman and uncomfortable not being able to hide behind his drums like he did before. But now he's the ultimate frontman, very talkative and always getting the crowd pumped up with every song, and that's basically what I meant. 

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

Never met him in person, but maybe shy isn't the right word, he was always a bit of a goofball and that hasn't changed. But when you look at interviews during his Nirvana days and now, you see a world of difference. Back then he wasn't very talkative but now his bandmates hardly get a word in because he does all the talking, but it's only normal that he's more confident and he's in a very different situation now obviously. He's the frontman and it's his band, while in Nirvana he knew his place because he was drummer #4 or 5 and there was a lot of tension in the band, especially later on. Kurt wasn't too happy with Dave's drumming anymore at the end, and Dave knew about that. And in the beginning of the Foo Fighters you could tell he felt quite awkward having to be the frontman and uncomfortable not being able to hide behind his drums like he did before. But now he's the ultimate frontman, very talkative and always getting the crowd pumped up with every song, and that's basically what I meant. 

Barry Grohl

I love the Foo Fighters. Simple, bur catchy radio rock. Except for their latest album, the one tries a little more to be artistically interesting and I appreciate it more, even if it does fall a bit short.

To be fair I like 2000-2019 pop music as well so thats likely why Im not so bothered with the simplicity of it, even if i do enjoy more complex songs as well

Edited by Mendez

I thought this thread was going to be about eradicating the Foo Fighters, I'd be down with that

I've never seen the appeal, it's pretty bland bubblegum rock

That said, I've not listened to their whole catalogue, maybe there are gems.

But I'm guessing it's just ten albums of the same radio friendly unit shifters (hat har)

13 hours ago, Nice Boy said:

I thought this thread was going to be about eradicating the Foo Fighters, I'd be down with that

I've never seen the appeal, it's pretty bland bubblegum rock

That said, I've not listened to their whole catalogue, maybe there are gems.

But I'm guessing it's just ten albums of the same radio friendly unit shifters (hat har)

they are a bland bubblegum rock band just like Creed and Nickleback or The Script but people don't see it because Grohl was in Nirvana, these days he's in Sesame Street FFS

On 12/11/2019 at 1:38 PM, oldnews said:

I prefer to think of him as the James Corden of Rock

Nah, he ain't that big a cunt :lol:  I don't dislike him or anything, I just lost interest in his music after that first Foo album, he's not what I'd call like, an embarassment or something.

• Haha 1

On 18-11-2019 at 12:48 AM, Nice Boy said:

Why wasn't Cobain happy with Grohls drumming though? It was pretty awesome. Maybe he caught wind of Grohl's hankering to be frontman of a mega big pop rock band.

Uhm... no.

https://loudwire.com/kurt-cobain-nearly-banned-dave-grohl-nirvana-unplugged-concert/

https://www.nme.com/news/music/foo-fighters-338-1277686

Edited by EvanG

On 11/12/2019 at 7:41 AM, EvanG said:

Dave went from a shy person to very outgoing... now he spends half of the Foo Fighters shows telling stories and screaming at the crowd.

Such a contrast to this guy,

No doubt, just the opposite of Axl.  He used to spend half the show bitching about whatever now he hardly speaks at all.

On 11/23/2019 at 10:28 AM, Len Cnut said:

Nah, he ain't that big a cunt :lol:  I don't dislike him or anything, I just lost interest in his music after that first Foo album, he's not what I'd call like, an embarassment or something.

It's more about him wanting to be everyone's best friend