Your best moments of this decade?

Gibson87

I saw this on AskReddit and thought it'd be fun to do on here. 

2010- I didn't die

2011- Packers won the Super Bowl

2012- My abusive mother finally got kicked out of the house

2013- I discovered Guns N' Roses

2014- I got my first job

2015- I got my driver's license

2016- I graduated high school and GN'R reunited, saw them in Chicago

2017- Out on my own for the first time and saw GN'R 3 times.

2018- I didn't die. Fuck 2018

2019- First long term relationship and first long term relationship breakup. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, moreblack said:

if it started in 2019 and ended in 2019, and 2019 ain't even over, how is it a long term relationship?

What's considered "long term" these days?

That was a first so it can be anything more than what came before.

I was thinking there's so much more to come in that life, only got started.  Long term is going to take on a whole new meaning.

1 hour ago, cineater said:

That was a first so it can be anything more than what came before.

I was thinking there's so much more to come in that life, only got started.  Long term is going to take on a whole new meaning.

Relative to me, I know it ain't that long :lol:

2013 = met my best friend of all time 

2015-2016 = Joined extracurriculars at school for the first time, made a bunch of social connections

2018 = Met my ex, while things ended badly the same year, she gave me some of the best memories of my entire life that I still look fondly upon to this day. Also got closer with a lot of people and felt legitimately happy for a short period

2019 = really embraced online communities, so while my life isn’t booming with friends or activities, I’m able to find some sort of joy and happiness from online forums/communities

...pretty uneventful/undesirable life, I’m aware :lol:

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

I honestly don't remember shit about my life in that way.  I know I was born in 83, started secondary school in 94, left in 99, after that I'm fucked if I can nail things down to years and that.  My brothers kid was born in 04, there's one.  Thats about it.  Perhaps fuck all has happened :lol:  Nah, shit has happened, its just, I dunno, how do yous remember all this shit?  Break down a decade year by year and then pick the best thing that happened, thats fuckin' impossible for me.  I have a really bad memory though.  Its why I'm such a shit driver, I can never remember the way anywhere.  Serious, lived in the same town since I was 5 but I still don't remember certain ways and paths, I just get going and work it out as I go, always figure it out and never takes long, I just don't like...have it all there, mapped in my head.  I'm probably just a fuckin' dunce or something.

Just now, Len Cnut said:

You must’ve loved the world cup win too, being (I assume) a lifelong cricket fan and all.

Although I wasn't there in person, just sat on the floor screaming at the telly with a pack of Guinness. Seeing Durham host an Ashes test in 2013 - I was there day one - was a great moment (England victory also). Lot of good memories of live sport - Rugby Union also, especially this year - which has generally been my replacement for the entire live music industry going down the toilet through old fart cashgrabbing revivalism. 

If we are discussing events I didn't attend - sadly - my pick is still the 2010-11 Ashes: for England to whip Oz in their own backyard!!  

All of my orgasms that were in/on a woman instead of into a towel.

Meeting Frank Miller, Katsuhiro Otomo, and Hisashi Eguchi.

GNR reunion....for real....it was/is a big deal to me.

The pizza I ate at Vito's in Baltimore last fall.  Holy shit.

Cleveland Cavs beating the Warriors for the NBA Championship......but that one is almost negated by the fucking Indians losing the World Series a few months later.

Game of Thrones.

All the nephews and nieces I gained this decade.

Transformers The Movie (1986) released on Bluray.

Edited by estrangedtwat

8 minutes ago, soon said:

I already split from my gf too, lol. I guess one year is the new length of a relationship? And if one has seen Jimmy Fallons impersonation of young women, then it makes perfect sense why. :lol:

I got through about 45 seconds of that and felt like shooting Jimmy Fallon.

• Haha 1

This is hard to make a list like this! Some of the coolest stuff is redacted, lol. Props to those who did it so much better than what I came up with.

Nieces and nephews born

Home opener for new local baseball team, the Champions (2014)

Fury SC joined new league and opened a new stadium (2014)

Bumper crop (2015)

Amazing trip through the Maritimes, swam in ocean, ate fresh caught lobster, flirted with Anne of Green Gables, kitchen parties and seafood pies, best Country Opry ever! (2015)

My cat Sweet Cornbread (aka Beaker, aka Sweet Murder Spree) came home to live with me (2016)

Ottawa Red Blacks won the Grey Cup (2016)

GNR (2016)

Bumper crop (2016)

Quit bootlegging cider (2016)

Had a broasted beef sandwich so good that it made me cry (2017)

Started using zero waste grocer (2018)

Grew Lentils! Got a lil something published (2019)

It was a pretty lousy decade. I reached my 30's, which sucks, I'm going to reach my 40's in the next decade, and that is probably going to suck even more. I got to travel more than the previous decade, I'm happy about that. I visited the US for the first time, travelled the East Coast a bit, stayed in a small town in Massachusetts where Sylvia Plath spent part of her childhood. And went to many countries and cities in Europe that I had never been to before, so that has been nice.

For me the best part was graduating from high school this year and moving out (yes I'm young lol). For me the next decade will probably be the best decade in my life, I can finally drink legally lol, new GNR / AC/DC album (hopefully), get married and have kids. The next decade looks promising and hopefully better than this one.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 2

Tbh, from 2009 until now has been pretty horrid. A real shit show so I'll only do this year:

1. managed to quit smoking cigarettes and weed, and the most I'll do is have a couple of beers now and then.

2. Started reading and actually finishing books which is something I've always wanted to do but lacked the focus until now. It's a different experience, I like it. Got 20 books to read on my list, I'll treat myself to a shelf or two when/if I finish all 20.

3. got into psychology, philosophy, and a little bit of history. I like shit like that, especially psychology.

4. learned how to play the piano.

Other than that, not much is best: I play my guitar, I feed my ego, I talk to the cat. It is what it is: shit, but could be worse.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 3

Kinda sad, the number of people on this thread that seem to have been finding their lives quite hard going for a long time. I hope the years that come are better than the ones that have gone for you guys. 

When I think about it, I've had a really good decade, barring a small period in 2014/2015 where I lost momentum a wee bit and ended up having to do some jobs that I didn't really care about for a short time, it's been full of self-discovery, learning, adventures, volcanoes and other amazing places, and making bonds with some really wonderful human beings from all over the world. I think I've been very lucky :) . 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

43 minutes ago, lilacmess said:

Yeah, definitely the kids being born. Best days of my life.

2012 - My first daughter

2013 - My son

2017 - Baby Erica

Oh, and wedding day was nice too (2019).

I remember you being pregnant at the time "our" GnR show in Vienna was happening. Good choice of name:)

• GNFNR 1