Appetite for Distortion: Dizzy Reed and Alex Grossi talk Hookers & Blow and Eddie Money | Ep. 157

- Before anyone asks, no I did not ask about new music. It would have been a waste of time and made me look like an amateur. If you hear his response to if Not in This Lifetime is over, he wouldn't have had an answer anyway. So enjoy!  :)

NEW! Dizzy F'n Reed and Alex Grossi talk Hookers & BLOW and Eddie Money | Ep. 157

Hookers & Blow, the now legendary project formed by long time Guns N' Roses keyboardist Dizzy Reed and Quiet Riot guitarist Alex Grossi, have announced a string of winter tour dates. Also they are debuting their brand new song, a cover of Eddie Money's Shakin. The very 1st song Hookers & Blow have ever recorded. Get a world premiere taste right here on the AFD Show!

iHeartRadio --> https://ihr.fm/2pdP0Wo
Spreaker --> https://bit.ly/2O8FagZ
SoundCloud --> https://bit.ly/33LQLcr
Spotify --> https://spoti.fi/33L66tV
Apple Podcasts --> https://apple.co/350KZDQ

Hookers & Blow Live Shot II w logo.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wow, way to go @Gambit83.  I loved the interview.  I said it before regarding your talk with Fortus, I loved your approach to this interview.  Ask Dizzy about HNB, his solo stuff, ask about how him and Alex balance their main gigs with these side gigs.... and DON'T ask about new GNR music!  The GNR guys are asked about new music all the time, and you won't be the one they're comfortable giving the scoop to.  Dizzy will probably remember you for NOT asking the new music question, plus 90% of the conversation was about non-GNR projects so he'll know you'll give him the time to discuss new projects next time.  Keep them coming back!  After that you never know, maybe you'll get that exclusive interview discussing new music....

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

Well, I don't have a say or stake in the success of your podcast... but as a gnr fan, listening to a gnr themed podcast I disagree, even though I agree that he probably couldn't have given what most here would consider a satisfactory answer. It never hurts to ask the question.

If Dizzy is out doing press, he knows by now (30yrs in) that people care to hear about gnr, old tour stories, current tour stories and future plans. Yes they like to hear about how he started, his influences and a percentage are interested in his outside project. However, he is well aware of why he is where he is... and dancing around that is pointless. 

They probably do enjoy the interviews more though because you don't ask the questions they don't want to answer. I totally understand why you're not doing it, I just disagree. I think if all the "key" members have discussed it, and it's confirmed to be happening; then it's fair game to ask about it.

On a positive😃 you have done a few that were quite interesting like the Susan interview. I actually think you're quite good, I just would prefer a little more edge when it comes to asking a "sensitive" question.

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Well, I don't have a say or stake in the success of your podcast... but as a gnr fan, listening to a gnr themed podcast I disagree, even though I agree that he probably couldn't have given what most here would consider a satisfactory answer. It never hurts to ask the question.

If Dizzy is out doing press, he knows by now (30yrs in) that people care to hear about gnr, old tour stories, current tour stories and future plans. Yes they like to hear about how he started, his influences and a percentage are interested in his outside project. However, he is well aware of why he is where he is... and dancing around that is pointless. 

They probably do enjoy the interviews more though because you don't ask the questions they don't want to answer. I totally understand why you're not doing it, I just disagree. I think if all the "key" members have discussed it, and it's confirmed to be happening; then it's fair game to ask about it.

On a positive😃 you have done a few that were quite interesting like the Susan interview. I actually think you're quite good, I just would prefer a little more edge when it comes to asking a "sensitive" question.

I hear ya. Something else to understand, sometimes there are agreed upon topics/questions beforehand. It's a dance just to get an interview. Not just in the GNR world, but many of those who are interviewed are afraid to be asked a question that could be turned into a negative headline. CM Punk is a good example. No matter his response to whether he'd return to wrestling, there was always an online spin to make him look bad. Sometimes it's just best to avoid a topic, even if an answer seems to be harmless. If I ever get "big" enough, I'd love to have more freedom/edge with questions. Not like Stern, but sports-talk where criticizing a team/management/player is common practice.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gambit83 said:

I hear ya. Something else to understand, sometimes there are agreed upon topics/questions beforehand. It's a dance just to get an interview. Not just in the GNR world, but many of those who are interviewed are afraid to be asked a question that could be turned into a negative headline. CM Punk is a good example. No matter his response to whether he'd return to wrestling, there was always an online spin to make him look bad. Sometimes it's just best to avoid a topic, even if an answer seems to be harmless. If I ever get "big" enough, I'd love to have more freedom/edge with questions. Not like Stern, but sports-talk where criticizing a team/management/player is common practice.

I like how you steer away from questions that don't put people on the spot.  You have a good feel for what makes people feel like they can talk to you.  You've gotten 150+ podcast going and your reputation is growing.  Your trust level with who you want to interview is growing too.  Don't become that guy that's out to get folks.  

By the way, any progress on the Melissa interview?

8 hours ago, Gambit83 said:

Oh well, I wouldn't suggest criticising the band or management. Let's say soft edges😄 "what old gnr song would you love to play in the set that you haven't played in a long time, or ever before"

But yes, I know some of these people have handlers or they themselves list what they will and won't discuss. It is just the way things have gone with crap websites running nothing stories.

Great interview! I hope you can get him back on again. As for not asking enough GNR questions, I think you did just fine. Had you started asking him about GNR I doubt he has much info. It could've also pissed him off, ruining a future interview with him.

Edited by chandler72
  • GNFNR 1

On 11/15/2019 at 4:42 AM, Tom2112 said:

Oh well, I wouldn't suggest criticising the band or management. Let's say soft edges😄 "what old gnr song would you love to play in the set that you haven't played in a long time, or ever before"

But yes, I know some of these people have handlers or they themselves list what they will and won't discuss. It is just the way things have gone with crap websites running nothing stories.

When I asked Fortus a similar question I felt some tension. Maybe I was imagining it, but it gave me pause that any simple GNR question could cause concern. 

On 11/15/2019 at 12:00 AM, cineater said:

I like how you steer away from questions that don't put people on the spot.  You have a good feel for what makes people feel like they can talk to you.  You've gotten 150+ podcast going and your reputation is growing.  Your trust level with who you want to interview is growing too.  Don't become that guy that's out to get folks.  

By the way, any progress on the Melissa interview?

Appreciate the feedback. I didn't hear back from Brain last time I followed up. I'll try again in the new year.

Edited by Gambit83

It's so ridiculous how all these members are afraid of gnr questions. These aren't questions about government secrets or whatever - just a fucking band and it's music. It's their job to answer questions about their job. Get over yourself

Edited by Flake
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Flake said:

It's so ridiculous how all these members are afraid of gnr questions. These aren't questions about government secrets or whatever - just a fucking band and it's music. It's their job to answer questions about their job. Get over yourself

Reminds me of: Don't mention the war!!

• Haha 2

Well, there isn't anything to talk about on gnr, so why should he ask questions about the band?

The tour is the same for almost 4 years now, there's no new releases... Members are focusing on solo or other projects, at least their projects have something fresh to talk about. 

• Like 1