Vocal Coach Reacts to GN'R

This dude is so lame. He missed the badass 'child' outro. 

Also, at the 'paradise city' reaction video, he said at one point, "this looks like they're singing live but it's a studio recording." Dude! It's a music video! Of course they dub over the original performance. And what kind of a rock vocal coach doesn't know a Queen song :max:

• Like 1

The Ken Tamplin guy must have struck gold recently. The SCOM video was recommended to me by YouTube the day before this thread was made.

The vocal coach genre of video basically thrives on the coach being an asshole and, yeah, he’s pretty good at that. Personally, I stopped watching when he started going on about the wound on his belly.

1 hour ago, Stress Fracture said:

The Ken Tamplin guy must have struck gold recently. The SCOM video was recommended to me by YouTube the day before this thread was made.

The vocal coach genre of video basically thrives on the coach being an asshole and, yeah, he’s pretty good at that. Personally, I stopped watching when he started going on about the wound on his belly.

That was the point where I couldn't take it anymore as well. 

On 11/16/2019 at 10:51 PM, Gibson_Guy87 said:

That Ken Tamplin guy made a few videos reacting to Axl's UYI era vocals. Some of the criticism is valid but he also picked one of Axl's worst performances from the UYI tour. 

Well first of all there's absolutely nothing of value in this guy's "reactions". Just comments about the look, Slash's guitar etc. Way to go for a vocal coach.

Secondly, he is highly annoying / irritating to watch and listen to - at least to me.

• Like 1

I just started watching his (as well as some others) reaction video's just recently.... Yeah, they are all basically pointless but harmless. 

I tend to enjoy the "First Reaction" guys (there's quite a few) more than the vocal couch criticisms (Beth is way more watchable. She's got an appreciation for Jeff Buckley, too so she's cool in my book)

As for Tamplin.... He was amusing for about a second. I wouldn't say he dislikes Axl/GNR at all. He probably resents the massive achievements of Guns/Simultaneously picking apart more less terrible performances to make himself look better? I dunno . He's just unfortunately reacting to those horrendous Tokyo performances. How's he to know there's much, MUCH better (and worse) shows he could be reacting to?

I see in the comments someone suggested Rock AM Ring KOHD. Now that would be difficult for him to critique but he would, anyways, I'm sure. Probably would comment more on Axls cornrows than the quality of the performance. 

Keep him far, far away from VMAS 2002, BridgeSchool and anything from 2019. 

Tamplin himself, while clearly talented (and I'll take his own word of what a successful vocal coach he is)... The guys got just another generic, uninteresting rock type voice. He's way high strung, especially in the "Sweet Child/I'll show you my belly-video". How many times did he mention he doesn't drink coffee??

Plus, he's constantly interrupting his own videos, which is funny in itself. His tendency to sing over an impressive line or note is equally annoying and kinda funny/stupid.

But whatever. I will continue watching his videos as long as he continues to make somewhat of an ass out of himself. Having said that, again, he does seem like a nice dude, with a pretty extensive knowledge of vocal techniques, etc. 

I take it back. His reaction video for VMA 2002 would be uncomfortably, highly entertaining. He'd probably laugh/mock his way through it. 

Sidenote: In his recent Belly/Here's My ManBoobs/Sweet Child vid, he did make me chuckle when he imitated Axls dancing/ spin move by swinging his own chair around. Haha. Dope. 

Edited by Estrangedfx

normally I hate reaction videos but I'm thinking about posting my own next week.  gonna take my day after Thanksgiving dump in a public restroom, not flush it, and then video everyones reaction to the disaster. 

I feel like that would have more substance than any of Ken's reaction videos. 

but then again, maybe ken will do a reaction video to my video..."...as you can hear, that man is screaming for help with his belly voice.  let's see what it sounds like with some head voice with the nose nice and clenched"

Edited by Chester 524
  • Haha 1

Ken Tamplin is actually one of the best vocal coaches out there and he’s a very talented singer. I bought his course a few years back (which wasn’t cheap) and his teaching method is legit.

He is, however, a nutcase.

After I purchased his course, I spoke with him a few times via Facebook as I made my way through it. He was very helpful and informative.

On his personal Facebook account, I noticed that he posted a lot of crazy shit (most of it was religious jargon, which I ignored.) Until, he started posting anti-vaccine propaganda.

I called him out on it and argued with him back and forth for a while how ridiculous and unfounded his views were.

He blocked me.

Lol.

Fun fact: (At least, I assume it’s a fact.) He’s also Sammy Hagar’s cousin. Which he often likes to remind his viewers of.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/16/2019 at 6:11 PM, Spirit said:

I liked this guys insights quite a bit more, also talks a bit about Axl's singing technique.

I'll be interested to watch his follow up video on why Axl sounds like Mickey and how he doesn't think it is vocal chord damage.

56 minutes ago, drewhiggins said:

I fucking hate these cunts who do reaction videos. FUCK OFF. They're just a waste of time. Why the fuck do I give a fuck about some fucking nobody giving fucking reactions. Fuck off.

I react and I'm fucking irritated. Get the fuck out of here with that nonsensical shit.

Oh so you aren't a big fan of reaction videos?

• Haha 3

On 11/26/2019 at 1:26 PM, HWolllert said:

The Michael Jordan of Metal ... and at that point he really is!!! - Not to take anything away from him recently, but that performance was outta space.

People not trying to critique the performance tend to be their biggest fans. GNR is easy to watch and say “whoa I haven’t seen a performance like that before”