How does Axl feel about all the cameras at todays concerts

1 hour ago, Nice Boy said:

But are Tool playing the same size venues as GnR? Surely the sheer effort of employing security to confiscate phones at the gate would slow down entrance and be massively complicated, not to mention that trying to get security to wade into an enormous crowd to grab phones from anyone who'd smuggled them in would potentially be disastrous, especially for a band with GnRs history. 

Olympic stadiums etc are not the Troubadour.

Ultimately I think Axl has mellowed, and had come to terms with it. Also probably under strict contractual obligation not to fuck with the crowd, by order of Slash.

"Shut up and sing and don't violent assault people with cameraphones." Sign here please Mr.Rose. Thank you here is twenty zillion dollars. 

oh yea, they are doing the arenas, as said they really enforced it, at the seats they had placards telling you about the no camera thing, the security guards would come over to the people during the show with their little lights and flash it at you if they suspected you were using it, I even heard about some people getting kicked out for using it

GNR has only been to Norway four times, and I've managed to catch just one show, so personally I don't see any issue filming a show, since it's great for fans who have a difficulty catching the shows.

I also play in a band, and encourage people filming our shows, since it's good for us to have videos of our performances online, not only because then people get to see if our band is worth watching live, but also potentially for venues who are interested in booking us, who can see the actual show.

• Like 3

On November 17, 2019 at 6:49 PM, prez said:

They were still enforcing the camera ban as of 2011. At the Wilkes-Barre show I was told that if my phone had a camera I couldn't take it in. I didn't have a smartphone then so they believed me when I told them my crappy flip phone didn't have a camera (it did, but not one worth using).

That's crazy man! I was at that show, I don't remember them asking that. We were the first people in the door so maybe they thought since we stood all day, they would throw us a solid. 

• Like 1

It’s definitely here to stay. I find it ironic though that Axl started a riot over one guy with a camera and now the entire crowd has one.  I still cannot believe how many people are more concerned with using their cell phones than actually paying attention to the performance.  

Being 22 years old and having grown up in the tech era, I don't see a problem with people recording a couple of songs here and there. If you're recording an entire show and blocking someone's view, yeah fuck right off but honestly a couple videos out of a 2-3 hour set doesn't ruin my experience.

That said, I saw GN'R in Milwaukee in 2017 and the dude next to me FB streamed the ENTIRE SHOW. I took 3 videos of Jungle, Prostitute, and a minute of Slash's solo spot. Guess who people were more annoyed with :lol:

Axl seems quite fond of cameras recording the shows. Lots of Guns tours had camera crews at every show. Axl just doesnt like when the footage is used, apparently.

I appreciate all those who have live streamed the shows for us all!

In the stands its difficult to block someones view with a smart phone. Being blocked by people recording seems like 'floor seat problems' :P:lol:

9 hours ago, yourcrazy said:

It’s definitely here to stay. I find it ironic though that Axl started a riot over one guy with a camera and now the entire crowd has one.  I still cannot believe how many people are more concerned with using their cell phones than actually paying attention to the performance.  

Taking an ipad, Thats fucked up right there!

On 11/18/2019 at 12:27 AM, jamillos said:

In a better - if not perfect - world, this would have been the solution. GNR would have the no-cellphones-at-shows policy like Tool, but whatever ends up on youtube stays on youtube. 

That would be almost impossible to enforce at stadium gigs. Especially overseas. It’s Tool enforces that, but it’s pointless, too. 

On 11/19/2019 at 7:11 AM, yourcrazy said:

Didn't Adele go on a rant at a concert a few years ago telling people to watch the show instead of recording it on their cell phone?

6 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

That would be almost impossible to enforce at stadium gigs. Especially overseas. It’s Tool enforces that, but it’s pointless, too. 

Idk how much it works at Tool's gigs, but it's apparently at least worth a try. Still better than what's been happening with GNR videos, and then management asking people to send vids just to have them taken down... are you kidding me? 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

On 11/20/2019 at 11:04 PM, Gnrcane said:

Didn't Adele go on a rant at a concert a few years ago telling people to watch the show instead of recording it on their cell phone?

I’m not sure.  I remember hearing something like that. Pretty funny that Adele is ranting about that and Axl is not. 

On 17.11.2019 at 10:40 PM, vloors said:

If he still had massive issues then concerts would be run like Tools and banning all use.

Im not against that idea either. Phones kill the live scene. How annoying is it trying to enjoy a concert when someone in front of you is blocking your view the whole show with their mobile.

Oh well, liken it to people being taller than you and get on with it. It's not like there wouldn't be raised arms or things blocking your view without cellphones/cameras.

On 21.11.2019 at 5:04 AM, Gnrcane said:

Unless these cunts stop charging 300 $ pro ticket they should just shut the fuck up and be honored that people think their performances are worth recording.

Edited by PatrickS77

On 19.11.2019 at 1:11 PM, yourcrazy said:

Who says that people recording are not paying attention to the performance?? They record it for christ sake. It's a myth to believe that they are not paying attention. I'd wager to say that they pay more attention as the ones not recording, as they watch it back as soon as they get home.

Edited by PatrickS77