Jump to content
k12

How does Axl feel about all the cameras at todays concerts

Recommended Posts

nowadays at a concert everyone is standing there filming the show and taking pictures,  is Axl just like fuck it, I wish he would start beating people up again, it is so fucking annoying going to a concert and every asshole is standing there with their fucking arms in the air filming it and it obstructs your view

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

Axl's issue was people bootlegging the new songs they were performing. He doesn't have to worry about that these days.

I think he also just didn't want people profiting off of them in general. Like people taking and selling pictures for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to be all "get off my lawn!" about cell phones at concerts too, but it is what it is. It's not going anyway any time soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jwalker19 said:

I think he also just didn't want people profiting off of them in general. Like people taking and selling pictures for example.

Yeah think he had a problem with them taking up the front row or something like that aswell. That didn't work with my joke though. :lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he still had massive issues then concerts would be run like Tools and banning all use.

Im not against that idea either. Phones kill the live scene. How annoying is it trying to enjoy a concert when someone in front of you is blocking your view the whole show with their mobile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Yes. It's clearly the best solution. Very effective. And not just guys. He should beat the shit out of some women as well, just like he did in his prime. Cell phones are really annoying.

Josh Homme from Queens Of The Stone Age kicked a female photographer in the head so it's still acceptable. (he ruined it by apologizing though)

 

He kicked her camera which hit her in the face and she wasn't authorized to take any more pictures that's why it wasn't that big of a deal

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

He kicked her camera which hit her in the face and she wasn't authorized to take any more pictures that's why it wasn't that big of a deal

Her camera was inches from her face, close enough that she sustained damage, big enough of a deal that he apologized for it.

Edit: it's not the only incident where Josh got violent. He once told a story about hitting 2 fans with a crutch (he was recovering from an injury at the time) simply for telling him they drove 10 hours to see his band.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I used to be all "get off my lawn!" about cell phones at concerts too, but it is what it is. It's not going anyway any time soon. 

well it should, Bands and the Venues need to discourage people from filming the shows, I saw Tool a few weeks ago and they essentially ban people from using their cell phones until the final song of the show, they needed to make it the entire show

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, k12 said:

well it should, Bands and the Venues need to discourage people from filming the shows, I saw Tool a few weeks ago and they essentially ban people from using their cell phones until the final song of the show, they needed to make it the entire show

I get what you're saying and I applaud when artists do that. Jack White pioneered alot of ideas to get people to put their phones away at shows, but none of it is going to catch on IMO. 

The major corporations know exactly how to use social media as a promotional tool, which is all linked in to fans use of phones at show. So it's just not going to go away any time soon. 

Don't get me wrong; it annoys me to no end as well and I wish it wasn't a thjng. I'm just saying the reality of the situation is that it's never going to go away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Her camera was inches from her face, close enough that she sustained damage, big enough of a deal that he apologized for it.

Edit: it's not the only incident where Josh got violent. He once told a story about hitting 2 fans with a crutch (he was recovering from an injury at the time) simply for telling him they drove 10 hours to see his band.

Hit them with a crutch, classic. Sounds like he and Axl are kindred spirits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, lame ass security said:

Hit them with a crutch, classic. Sounds like he and Axl are kindred spirits.

He bragged about beating them up while being high on pain killers with his crutch. Zane Lowe was the interviewer. I'm not trying to educate anyone and I'm a big fan of Josh but I don't get a kick (lol) out of seeing gingers being violent or anyone else for that matter. Axl was a violent cunt.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They did ban cellphones at the first Troubador gig didn't they.

It would be logistically impossible at big venues though. 

When I saw Velvet Revolver, Slash looked out at the crowd, got on the mic and said "it used to be a sea of fuckin' lighters in the air but now it's a sea of fuckin' cellphones, man" 🙂🎸

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Josh hitting the girl with the camera was obviously accidental. He shouldn't have kicked the camera to begin with, but the rest is just unfortunate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Josh hitting the girl with the camera was obviously accidental. He shouldn't have kicked the camera to begin with, but the rest is just unfortunate. 

I stand corrected. That time it wasn't intentional. At the risk of being even more annoying though: just like Axl, Josh has a temper and I was just giving an example. Should have went with the crutch incident where it was totally intentional. (as told by Homme himself)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose on the flip side, without these annoying cellphone people we wouldn't have any live footage of the concerts. Not that any of it manages to stay up on YouTube for very long. All the more reason for them to release official pro shot videos I guess. People might be less inclined to film it themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Nice Boy said:

They did ban cellphones at the first Troubador gig didn't they.

It would be logistically impossible at big venues though. 

When I saw Velvet Revolver, Slash looked out at the crowd, got on the mic and said "it used to be a sea of fuckin' lighters in the air but now it's a sea of fuckin' cellphones, man" 🙂🎸

it wouldn't be impossible, do what Tool did and make sure the security is adamant about and is going to kick out anyone who is going to whip out their phone, and if they do not want to be militant about it they could at least make an announcement before the show to be respectful of the people around you, I am sure it would cut down a good amount of the people who will use it

 

EHWoj1lXYAIRyEL?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by k12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Axl has mellowed in tons of ways, this being one of them.  I think he knows it is the way the world operates now

 

I must say though, I saw both Tool and The Raconteurs, and both had a no phone policy.  The Raconteurs had these green lock pouches you had to put your phone in at the entrance gate, and honestly I did notice as a whole, the entire crowd was so much more into it and more attentive in a communal way.  That really sold me on the idea, where before it I was unsure how I really felt about locking my phone up.  But it really worked well

 

With Tool, they banned cell phone usage but Maynard told everyone they could film the last song of the encore when they got to it, which was a happy medium.  Again like The Raconteurs, I really saw it help direct focus and concentration in a way that I don't see too much nowadays in large venues like that

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i understand a few people streaming the whole show. i understand some people filming the whole gig with a camcorder. 

but i dont understand the rest of the audience doing it...making 1-2 selfies is fine, but i will never understand people using the phone all the time...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

It has, yeah but there's a big public outcry / backlash about it. 

People use lame excuses like "BUT WHAT IF AN EMERGENCY HAPPENS DURING THE CONCERT AND I DON'T HAVE MY PHONE?!" 

My answer to that is: "the emergency could be handled the same way it was in the entire history of concerts prior to cell phones..." 

In any case, I personally think there's way too much money in viral / social marketing for corporations to care. They gain a ton of free advertising and buzz from people using their phones at shows. In the end, major corporations are always going to take the cash instead of trying to do what's best for the customer. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

Axl's issue was people bootlegging the new songs they were performing. He doesn't have to worry about that these days.

They were still enforcing the camera ban as of 2011. At the Wilkes-Barre show I was told that if my phone had a camera I couldn't take it in. I didn't have a smartphone then so they believed me when I told them my crappy flip phone didn't have a camera (it did, but not one worth using).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But are Tool playing the same size venues as GnR? Surely the sheer effort of employing security to confiscate phones at the gate would slow down entrance and be massively complicated, not to mention that trying to get security to wade into an enormous crowd to grab phones from anyone who'd smuggled them in would potentially be disastrous, especially for a band with GnRs history. 

Olympic stadiums etc are not the Troubadour.

Ultimately I think Axl has mellowed, and had come to terms with it. Also probably under strict contractual obligation not to fuck with the crowd, by order of Slash.

"Shut up and sing and don't violent assault people with cameraphones." Sign here please Mr.Rose. Thank you here is twenty zillion dollars. 

Edited by Nice Boy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×